Stopping this goofy roll

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BJ2001, Oct 13, 2010.

1. BJ2001

BJ2001 Yellow Belt

please advise how to counter this goofy single leg counter

my thoughts are to just drop to you knees when you feel it coming.

2. BJ2001

BJ2001 Yellow Belt

fast forward to about 1:35 to get past a lot of yapping

3. williamrthomas

williamrthomas White Belt

you don't need to grip up like that when doing an inside single - keep good posture first off and then in the video if the guy shooting the takedown slides his right hand towards the ankle and lifts the takedown will be more effective and this counter isn't there

4. BJ2001

BJ2001 Yellow Belt

thanks.

to clarify...by gripping up, you mean just don't be hanging onto the leg (that just seems to happen a lot while fighting for a takedown) like that...look to quickly elevate the leg by sliding a hand down to the ankle?

5. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

6. BJ2001

BJ2001 Yellow Belt

well...Joe hit a spladle there...

i am trying to find a counter to the counter. so the guy WITH the leg can finish.

i coach youth wrestling and one very good kid is simply a superior athlete AND has decent skills...he also has picked up some Jiu Jitsu from his older brother...he has been rolling up kids with this. LOL

he's too small to hit it on me...so i am a bit baffled why he has success with it (other than the part that he's just a more gifted kid).

i was lucky to just stumble on this video showing the move...the kid that hits it actually does hits its much faster than the video and as i said has found success with it.

i think its awesome that a kid can bring NEW stuff to wrestling from another style...i love it...but now need to explain to the kids how to stop getting rolled up... LOL

7. BJ2001

BJ2001 Yellow Belt

oh wait...was it the next gif down from the spladle? sorry i missed that...

that does look like Nate was trying to get that in when Joe rolls (sorry i don't know any Jiu Jitsu terminology)...

interesting...wish i could see that better...may have to find vid of that fight

8. BJ2001

BJ2001 Yellow Belt

---double post---

9. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

great minds think alike:icon_chee
    [​IMG]

that counter doesn't have to be as a defense vs the kimura grip either, it is a rolling firemans carry/kataguruma almost

I can't do it because I either fail to get a grip(the most probable) or I get the single, not stopped in the midst of it

If the dude tries the kimura grip throw you could prolly step in and sweep his other leg or do it from the outside(the side with the kimura grip, just be sure to crash down on him so he won't get the sweep, as you are landing in halfguard you should be safe

10. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

^^ yeah, it is really similar to an outside carry with a "russian" grip (that's what we called it, I know other places call that arm under grip something else). You would typically have a good grip on the wrist, but if the other guy is death gripping the kimura, he is doing the grip for you. But Joe change the angle and I think it is more like a sweep than an outside carry...

It is a lot like that Nogueira half guard sweep, the one that is a counter to the darce, where you lock the wrist and roll them over you. That is the closest motion I think.

11. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

yeah

the difference is the direction you take the dude in

regular rolling firemanscarry/kataguruma he goes basically forward

the Joe Daddy version he more goes to the side and spins down (you could probalby use a little bit of a lift there to

and just because I have it on ctrl-C and just psoted it in another thread

Maia kinda tries it at 2.45 or atleast a similar move but as it is on the ground he didn't get enough schwung out of it