Stopping overpopulation

Would you at least agree, though, that it may be in our best interest find a sustainable system, in regards to use of those resources, before we just assume that population growth is inherently a good thing?
I'm a farmer by profession. The American farmer can produce enough food for every hungry belly if only we are given the right economic incentives. Serving others is our speciality.

There are tons and tons of resources out there. Lots of water, forests for logging, probably many other natural resources.

We're running out of old growth forests. Water is defiantly not that plentiful. And the oceans/rivers fish stocks are collapsing.
Our dirt we farm on is getting worse every year.
Cows are killing our atmosphere.
If you think the worlds not over populated because Nebraska is wide open well. . .

Should world governments incentivize the act of having less children? Provide tax breaks to those without kids, and give subsidies to people who get vasectomies or have their tubes tied?

Overpopulation is probably one of the biggest problems that is never talked about.
It's the biggest problem, every world problem stems from over population.

We're running out of old growth forests. Water is defiantly not that plentiful. And the oceans/rivers fish stocks are collapsing.
Cows are killing our atmosphere.
If you think the worlds not over populated because Nebraska is wide open well. . .
Everything that use to keep population in check have been kept under controll, no war, no pandemics

I'm a farmer by profession. The American farmer can produce enough food for every hungry belly if only we are given the right economic incentives. Serving others is our speciality.

Lol, non-salt water is a finite resource already stressed to a breaking point.

Water will be the new oil by the end of our lifetimes.

I will say that some kind of fusion or hydrogen breakthrough would change my opinion a bit on the issue of overpopulation.

So, since the developing world is the source of high birth rates is the plan to reduce it there?

Take measures in exchange for aid or something?

Sterilizing people against their will is immoral to do. Just quit letting migrants into your country if you have too many people. Or move out to the country.[/QUOT pE]

I don't know where you live, but the problems that the "babies momma" culture has created in the inner cities of America has wrought devastation on the lives of many.

Thing about overpopulation is its more of a problem i 3rd world and developing countries than developed ones, sadly. Places like Japan and western Europe have very low birthrates. Most of Africa, on the other hand, has the highest birthrates in the world. Religion and culture often influence these things as well so it can be difficult to deal with.

So, since the developing world is the source of high birth rates is the plan to reduce it there?

Take measures in exchange for aid or something?

I could make a argument for education and infrastructure over aid, as a step in the right direction.

Should world governments incentivize the act of having less children? Provide tax breaks to those without kids, and give subsidies to people who get vasectomies or have their tubes tied?

Overpopulation is probably one of the biggest problems that is never talked about.

How about over consumption?

Most of us live will beyond our needs.

Space =\= resources.

if your so worried about it, then why dont we invest heavily into space colonization?

i know ill hear a lot of bitching from local stupidity on here, but hey thats the best way to combat it. And we will see a technological boom

The world population is expected to level out at 13 billion people. Once a country develops, they produce around 2.1 or so offspring. We aren't going to continue to exponentially shoot up like we did in the past few decades. It makes our lifetime fairly amazing the population shot up due to medical innovation and then levels off.

drinkable water is becoming scarce and growing populations is defenitely straining it and driving up its cost. However water never actually goes away. There is the exact same amount of water on earth today as 1 million years ago and there will be the same 1 million years from now. The key is keepng it drinkable. Everyone is focusing on desalination plants to convert salt water to clean water. But the real end all solution is for people to get over the yuck factor and accept that we have the technology to convert used sewage water to drinkable water.

Not mine, we have been improving the soil for 3 generations now.

BTW, most farmers in the modernized world know about the principal of crop rotation. The reason many farmers rotate soy beans into their soils is because the root structure of a soy bean plant has little buds on them that naturally place nitrogen back into the soil.

I'm not sure what farm you may be referring to, but I have yet to see it.

The earth has plenty of space. Enough for everyone with plenty of space to spare. If you were to give every man, woman, and child on earth a quarter acre lot, you wouldn't even fill the island nation of Australia (you would have over half of Queensland left over).

The world is NOT over populated, it's just very badly managed.

The American farmer has had some amazing breakthroughs made available to them over the past decade. We have been growing higher and higher yielding crops, while using less and less water.

Granted, states like California have managed their natural resources so poorly for so long, that the time has finally come to pay the piper. It's unfortunate that the people of the state of California felt the need to ease the anxieties of environmentalists rather than safeguard their own water supply. Millions of gallons of fresh water escapes into the ocean every month. That's water that MUST be captured if California wishes to maintain its standard of living.

Perhaps, if we continue this madness of not capturing water while it's still fresh and drinkable.

ITT

Lots of free space = jobs and resources. "Ah drov mah car and saw lots of free space. hyuk hyuk."

If only China got that memo and didn't take drastic measures in the late seventees to prevent some mythical overpopulation problem.

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/110171433/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back