Stop saying "___ fight took years off his life"

You're taking a phrase of speech literally that isn't meant to be. What they mean is that the person took a huge beating and likely won't ever be the same as they were prior to said beating.

3dxvr2.jpg

NFL damage is much different than MMA damage. Those are 300+ lb dudes running head first into each other.

There's a trend on Sherdog that anytime a fighter is in a tough fight, the next day on Sherdog it's "Oh he just lost years off his life. Definitely gonna be CTE'd" that is what annoys me.
its kind of an undeniable fact that these fighters are developing CTE and some won't be seeing old age, to think otherwise is insane, you can actively see some of them lose their marbles

One fact that everyone refuses to believe is that more brain trauma is taken in the gym than in all bouts combined. The day to day repetitive blows to the head are the ones usually causing the damage

You're taking a phrase of speech literally that isn't meant to be. What they mean is that the person took a huge beating and likely won't ever be as good as they were prior to said beating.

No, a lot of people are saying it literally.

They literally think Rory Macdonald will die years sooner than he would have if he hadn't had the Lawler fights.

so you think life is a video game and every hit to the head reduces your health bar?

Life isn't a video game, but yeah, take enough shots to the head and you will end up very fucked up.

They literally think Rory Macdonald will die years sooner than he would have if he hadn't had the Lawler fights.

I doubt it, and if they are, they are likely just fucking with you.

The kind of damage you get from a UFC fight does not take years off your life. Junior Dos Santos did not lose years of his life in the Cain Velasquez fights. Rory Macdonald and Robbie Lawler did not lose years of their life in their fights. It's idiotic to say these things. There are people who lose limbs in wars who go on to live in their 80's and 90's.
Losing limbs and getting hit in the head for 25 straight minutes (twice) are two entirely different things.

The fight with Floyd took years off Conor’s life.

It's very possible that the sustained damage will translate into something that shortens his lifespan. You do know how important the brain is right?

Um actually losing a limb significantly decreases life expectancy.
But TS just said that some people lived a long time after losing limbs.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

<{MindBrown}>

The fight with Floyd took years off Conor’s life.
Yes, but only because it sent him into some sort of spiral. (See op as source)

I actually think this is appropriate for this thread, but it may rub someone the wrong way. id delete it just in case.

Some people need to be rubbed the wrong way. I find it completely disrespectful to the real dangers fighters face to diminish the consequences of the damage taken during a fight.

Coming from personal experience, hard fights take a heavy toll on your body. I’ve had broken jaws, torn ACLs, and dislocated shoulders/knees because of fighting, those are healthy years of my life I will never get back.
Now as far as cerebral damage goes. I’ve watched old boxing coaches start to lose their motor functions and memory. I can only imagine what autopsies and studies of present day fighters are going to reveal.
This is combat sports where the goal is to do an extended and maximum damage to another human being. Any time you step into the cage or on the mat, you are taking healthy years off your life. Wether it be mentally, physically, and hell even emotionally/psychologically

TS, i’m sorry to say, but it sound like you have never trained or fought competitively in your life.

One fact that everyone refuses to believe is that more brain trauma is taken in the gym than in all bouts combined. The day to day repetitive blows to the head are the ones usually causing the damage

Correct. Which is why Thai boxers, many of whom have over 150 bouts by the time they retire, generally go very easy in training. Meanwhile, at team Alpha Male...

This reminds me of some "rule of thumb" I heard a long time ago that smoking a cigarette will probably reduce your lifespan by x amount of minutes, or something along those lines. Everyone knows that it doesn't work that way but if you smoke two packs of cigarettes a day you are practically begging to get cancer sometime down the line, so it's a bit similar to getting into brutal wars frequently throughout your career and eventually ending up with some amount of TBI.

Kind of agree with TS.

I think most of the damage is done in training.

Guys who sparred like idiots (Shogun, Wanderlei) were completely shot in their mid 30s.
cain, rockhold,weidman, and showtime all belong here aswell. these dudes think they dont training like meatheads because they are doing things smarter than the people before them. but then they overdue it and break them selfs because they are meatheads.

9JOf1nv.gif

then they wonder why they dont perform the same. they think its mental and that "they need to just find them selves, that confidence again". When really they dont move like they used to, they dont react like they used to, but because they are "tough guys" they think it has to be mental.

"i just broke down my body so bad in these last few years training, so that cant be it. i must have just been off mentally.......yeah thats it"-Chris "Showtime" Velasquez

The kind of damage you get from a UFC fight does not take years off your life. Junior Dos Santos did not lose years of his life in the Cain Velasquez fights. Rory Macdonald and Robbie Lawler did not lose years of their life in their fights. It's idiotic to say these things. There are people who lose limbs in wars who go on to live in their 80's and 90's.
We will all agree to stop saying it if you agree to stop posting on sherdog.

Coming from personal experience, hard fights take a heavy toll on your body. I’ve had broken jaws, torn ACLs, and dislocated shoulders/knees because of fighting, those are healthy years of my life I will never get back.
Now as far as cerebral damage goes. I’ve watched old boxing coaches start to lose their motor functions and memory. I can only imagine what autopsies and studies of present day fighters are going to reveal.
This is combat sports where the goal is to do an extended and maximum damage to another human being. Any time you step into the cage or on the mat, you are taking healthy years off your life. Wether it be mentally, physically, and hell even emotionally/psychologically

TS, i’m sorry to say, but it sound like you have never trained or fought competitively in your life.

Spot on. The TS's argument is a very poorly thought out one.
Repeated, prolonged beatings over the course of a career will definitely shorten the length of that fighter's time in the ring/cage, will take their toll of said fighter's longterm health & quality of life. And, yes, probably shorten their lifespan to some degree.
Sure there are anomalies like Jake Lamotta & George Chuvalo but they're definitely not your average fighters.
And, hopefully, nor am I because I had a long career in the ring as a pro fighter & a sparring partner. Taking a good amount of punishment in the process but other than surgeries to rebuild my knee & my neck & other assorted aches & pains I'm quite healthy. I've had all sorts of neurological & cognitive testing & I show no signs of any degeneration.
But, unfortunately, I can't say the same for many of my friends & peers. A lot of them that began fighting around the same time as I did are in very bad shape now.

Back