Stop saying "___ fight took years off his life"

It might not snip off the back end, but reading this thread is 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

These threads that say "Stop saying _______" always turn out so well for the thread starter.

People on forums love being told what to do, they are very open to modifying their behavior because a thread from another anonymous poster tells them to LMAO.

The kind of damage you get from a UFC fight does not take years off your life. Junior Dos Santos did not lose years of his life in the Cain Velasquez fights. Rory Macdonald and Robbie Lawler did not lose years of their life in their fights. It's idiotic to say these things. There are people who lose limbs in wars who go on to live in their 80's and 90's.
Head trauma doesn't take years off your life? If not years off your life how about years off your career or diminished fighting ability? What about parkinson's or other problems later in life. It can affect fighters in many ways. You disagree?

its also annoying when they do the whole CTE prevention nonsense to justify an early stoppage. As if the last six months of training didn't lead to more head trauma than one night.

So OP thinks humans can take repeated blows to the head and be fine afterwards?
so you think life is a video game and every hit to the head reduces your health bar?

so you think life is a video game and every hit to the head reduces your health bar?

Basically, take enough shots to the head and you reduce your bar enough that you get CTE.

Take no hits and you don't get CTE.

Except studies have shown average lifespan of someone with CTE is significantly lower than someone who does not have the disease. So yes in theory a TBI inducing beat down in the cage could slowly progress to CTE later and could potentially take years from one's lifespan, let alone healthspan.

PEDS, CTE, weight cuts.....can't be good for your life. If you are not a doctor, which I assume you are not, how can you be sure that a brutal beat-down does not shorten your life?

Well, Ali died at 74, with the last two decades of his life being half functional. Michael Schumacher is alive now, but he is basically dead. The number of years you live mean jack shit. It's the quality of life that matters.

So if you are in CTE land at 50, depressed, alcohol and drug addicted, violent, maybe suicidal, the big beatings you took at 25 or 30 actually took years off your life. Even if you reach your 80s. Which you probably won't, because you are depressed, violent, drug and/or alcohol addicted and eventually suicidal.

Kind of agree with TS.

I think most of the damage is done in training.

Guys who sparred like idiots (Shogun, Wanderlei) were completely shot in their mid 30s.

eh, you don't really agree with TS because he is making the claim that damage from fighting per se (whether in a sanctioned match or sparring) does not decrease life expectancy

but you are saying guys who trained poorly because they had too many wars in the gym were shot by their 30s

so then damage from fighting does have an adverse effect

PEDS, CTE, weight cuts.....can't be good for your life.

Spending 9-5 in an office sitting on your ass for long stretches of time doing soul draining work for 30+ years greatly increasing risk of obesity, heart disease, colon cancer, etc... definitely is though.

See what I'm getting at? These guys spend their life on their feet. Exercising. Eating good. Because they have the time for it. Because they aren't spending their lives rotting away at a desk.

Which is worse for you, you think? Office life or fight life?

These threads that say "Stop saying _______" always turn out so well for the thread starter.

People on forums love being told what to do, they are very open to modifying their behavior because a thread from another anonymous poster tells them to LMAO.

I don't care if anybody listens. I don't care if every single person on this forum trolls me for saying it.

All I care about is that it be known that my stance is this: It's stupid to say _____ fight took years off so and so's life. Because you don't know that.

The kind of damage you get from a UFC fight does not take years off your life. Junior Dos Santos did not lose years of his life in the Cain Velasquez fights. Rory Macdonald and Robbie Lawler did not lose years of their life in their fights. It's idiotic to say these things. There are people who lose limbs in wars who go on to live in their 80's and 90's.
Then why do people die from combat sports?

I hate the trend where people say that every fighter who has a war or suffers a bad knockout will end up with CTE.

I don't care if anybody listens. I don't care if every single person on this forum trolls me for saying it.

All I care about is that it be known that my stance is this: It's stupid to say _____ fight took years off so and so's life. Because you don't know that.

You aren't the first nor last to make a thread like this. I wasn't picking on you specifically, it just always makes me laugh when the title is worded that way.

Head trauma isn't real, you idiots!

Jake Lamotta lived until 95, without boxing he would have made it till 145.

NFL players life expectancy is less than 60 years, UFC hasn't been around long enough to see these guys into old age but its clear many fighters have brain damage that will shorten their life

NFL players life expectancy is less than 60 years, UFC hasn't been around long enough to see these guys into old age but its clear many fighters have brain damage that will shorten their life

NFL damage is much different than MMA damage. It's typically the lineman with the worst damage. Those are 300+ lb dudes running head first into each other all game long. Week in week out.

There's a trend on Sherdog that anytime a fighter is in a tough fight, the next day on Sherdog it's "Oh he just lost years off his life. Definitely gonna be CTE'd" that is what annoys me.

Back