Stop rushing rematches!

USAWrestler209

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Remember what happened to JDS? He was rushed into a rematch with Cain and got handled the same way, now we wont get to see him fight for the title for a while if ever.

They wanted to make Sonnen vs Silva 2 right after the first one, luckily it got pushed back 2 years and the hype and anticipation was huge!

Gus just fought for the title not even a full year ago, tough fight but he lost and he needs to get back in line and build him self up again. They will fight again, but this fight needs to wait and get built up.

I'm more stocked for Jones vs DC. It's a fresh match up, and it's exciting to see a contender who realistically can knock off the champ.

I would prefer to Gustafsson to fight atleast another fight before he fights Jones. Maybe a Rashad Evans or Anthony Rumble Johnson. If not, fight DC for the true number 1 contender.

Point being, I don't want to see another JDS momment happen, and have him stuck being 0-2 against the champ way too soon.

Your thoughts?

Gus's win vs Manuwa was more impressive than DCs win over hendo.

And if you wait too long injuries occur and you could waste an opportunity to have one of the best fights ever. What if Jones vs Gus II is postponed and Gus gets injured, and then when he gets healthy their schedules don't match up and then Jones gets injured a few months later? I understand holding off on instant rematches but their first fight was so good and competitive I see no problem fighting one year later after each guy had one fight in between. Jones has about 3-4 more years left of fighting (his own admission is to retire at 30) and we can't be stalling on these great fights because we don't know what the future holds.

I agree they should wait. But they won't because Jones.Gus 2 will be a money maker.

agree with this.

Manuwa was a beast and freaking huge.
his arms are twice the side of Gus.
Manuwa probably weight like 220 pounds fight night.

Hendo 199 pounds and probably 200 pounds fight night, TRT-less, slow, can't even strrike and rely on his h-bomb.

JDS Cain 3 was not the rematch, do you think Cain got his second crack too early?

Shut up ts, this is sherdog! We want nothing but rematches here!

JDS Cain 3 was not the rematch, do you think Cain got his second crack too early?

Cain was a champion AND took on a tougher fight (Bigfoot) than a challenger had to take (Manuwa) in order to get a rematch. Cain is also much more proven with wins on his record prior to that point than Gus too, so not exactly apples to apples.

Cain was a champion AND took on a tougher fight (Bigfoot) than a challenger had to take (Manuwa) in order to get a rematch. Cain is also much more proven with wins on his record prior to that point than Gus too, so not exactly apples to apples.

So did JDS.

Cain was hurt before the first match, so the rematch made sense.

I think the 3rd match could of been 1 more fight for both before each other.

I don't mind Gus getting a rematch, but if he were to lose, he goes all the way back inline, It's not like he can move up or down in weight classes. He would pretty much be stuck.

I wonder what Don Frye would say about Jones chicken sh_t attitude...lol

Ugh....
I kinda of want to agree with u here...but...but...i just cannot. Hendo is a legend of the sport. Fought a whose who in mma. I mean the man has Ko'd fedor and wandy!
What has jimmi done in comparison?

If there was ONE Champ bout that deserved a rematch, it was the epic first bout between Gus/Jones. It now seems very clear why that didn't happen. (1) Too many already done for lesser reasons. (2) Jones doesn't want to fight Gus again.

I think Tito and Ken should fight again. Ask Ken, he'll tell you.

Gus beat the guy the UFC put in front of him with relative ease the fight after he sent Jon Jones to the hospital
He deserves the rematch and deserves a second shot at the belt now. IMHO

That's only if you think Manuwa beats Hendo. Besides, DC's whole resume is more impressive than Gus's.

One that worked out really well was Shogun Machida.

Other than that I agree completely

Back