Stop overrating oliveira loll

Yeh I like the guy but he looked horrible. Dustin/Conor would and should be HEAVY favorites.

Don't get me wrong, Do bronx is an elite ufc fighter and probably the most complete in the division. However, he clearly isn't "levels" above everyone else.
Its clear that against Chandler, anybody could've won. Hell, he couldn't even finish Chandler after getting his back. I'd have questions about him finishing poirier, gaethje, and even conor (who actually has decent bjj) on the ground.
Similarly, on the standup department, he did impress me with his timing, but his lack of head movement as well as how he took Chandler's shots would give me hesitation about taking him over the top 5 in the division. Guys like poirier and Gaethje have longer reach than chandler so it will be harder for olly to control the range with his leg kicks.

After seeing the Chandler fight, I'm not sure what I'm missing but the highest I'll rate do bronx is as the same tier as poirier and gaethje. I certainly won't rate him levels above any of the top 5.

top 5 of what goat talk? or just as a good fighter who had a chance to win a belt and did it.

It's crazy how much fans can overrate a fighter after an exciting win. I guess it's the nature of the sport.

yeah, it reminds me a lot of when conor won the belt. it's like, sure he's a good fighter and beat a game vet(also coincidentally another smaller, battleworn, aging ex-bellator champ), but you know neither guy is the best in the division and won't be at the top for long. tho i doubt oliveira will fall off as hard and fast as mcg did.

nah. his best damage was on the ground.
Sure, but I think it let Oliveira recover. It's not a mistake, I get he had to make a judgement call. I just felt Oliveira was compromised and would have been knocked down if he had to stand up.

yeah, it reminds me a lot of when conor won the belt. it's like, sure he's a good fighter and beat a game vet(also coincidentally another smaller, battleworn, aging ex-bellator champ), but you know neither guy is the best in the division and won't be at the top for long. tho i doubt oliveira will fall off as hard and fast as mcg did.
I think Chandler actually is the hardest match up. It's one of the only guys that has a supreme ground game and hits hard. Sure, he isn't in his prime, but I don't see Conor, Dustin or Justin beat Charles. He just takes them down and submits them.

A few losses as well, but sherdog is going crazy over him just because of Saturday night, nothing to do with any of his other wins. Thanks for playing though
Yea, its not like the Ferguson fight ever happened

top 5 of what goat talk? or just as a good fighter who had a chance to win a belt and did it.
Top 5 lightweights
He can prolly beat conor, but Chandler, Gaethje, and Poirier all have clear pathways to win, and I reckon, conor can also win if he can end it in r1 although unlikely

Top 5 lightweights
He can prolly beat conor, but Chandler, Gaethje, and Poirier all have clear pathways to win, and I reckon, conor can also win if he can end it in r1 although unlikely

any fighter you can say hasa path to win

Sure, but I think it let Oliveira recover. It's not a mistake, I get he had to make a judgement call. I just felt Oliveira was compromised and would have been knocked down if he had to stand up.

he wouldn't have to stand up immediately.

I think it is ok to analyze a fighter career based off of his record. However, i think its more relevant to discuss momentum. I dont really care if Charles lost to cowboy years ago. I care about his run, about how he looks today. His improvements. His will.
Im not saying hes a world beater and I would favor khabib X him. That said, I dont think ppl should be analyzing his chances based off fights that happened years ago, in another weight class and when he was a pure bjj guy, kinda weak phisically and with a poor striking.
At this very moment, i think he is a favorite X conor, Justin, dariush. I think its kinda even X Dustin. And that he loses to khabib.

He’s definitely the best he’s ever been but it’s hard to forget those losses to Cowboy, Holloway and Cub.

He won’t outlast a guy like Gaethje or Poirier in a war of attrition, IMO.
In have my doubts that people ever watched the Holloway fight.

It wasn't a fight. It was Oliveria taking 2 steps then dropping to the ground while grabbing his neck.

What does that tell you about anything?

Back