Stop overrating oliveira loll

When it comes to the armbar Tony was saved by the bell but against Dariush he escaped the leg lock on his own. I also feel like he landed way more shots on Dariush from his back than he did to Oliveira and also attempted a couple subs. I don't remember him being able to do anything at all against Oliveira but maybe I need to rewatch. In rd 3 Dariush legit just hugged him.
He didn't escape it. His knee popped lol. He couldn't put much weight on it after the fact. Luckily for tony, a tore knee is not as visible as a broken arm. If it was, the fight would have been stopped.

If a bjj ace gets someone's back, especially someone with shorter limbs, that should be a submission. Seeing this makes me more confident of poirier and gaethje's chances on the ground

Gaethje lol. Did you not see his ground game against khabib.

If a bjj ace gets someone's back, especially someone with shorter limbs, that should be a submission. Seeing this makes me more confident of poirier and gaethje's chances on the ground
It really shouldn't Chandler has never been submitted. Chandler gives up his back to fight the hands because he's explosive. Conor got submitted by Nate. He also got submitted twice before he came to the UFC. Got submitted by some no name sub .500 fighter and got submitted by Irish guy who's name is escaping me right now. Joe something.

Safe to say is Charles has him on the ground, it spells danger for Conor.

Yeah and Charles has as many subs as those guys combined. There are levels even when comparing black belts.

Chandler has better TDD than Gaethje because of his shorter and more compact build. Charles still took him down while hurt.
Justin could catch him before the gap closes but he'd be fucked as soon as the fight touches the ground.

You're basing Chandlers tdd on him flow rolling with Usman? In wrestling shoes? Gaethje had the better tdd imo

I've been hyping him for a long time now. He's a great fighter..

9 fight win streaks don't lie..

You are about the only other guy.

Until less than a year ago, Dana and the top 10 would not even say Olivera's name out loud... Charles is the most highly avoided fighter in the UFC.

These idiots blather on and on about how DuBronx does not have top wins.... BECAUSE THEY ALL REFUSED TO FIGHT HIM.... He just finally kicked in the door after doing nothing but winning and fighting 3 times a year.....

I have never seen another fighter ducked the way the Lightweight division and Dana ducked Charles

He knocked out a midget with no chin and chandler was owning him for most that fight. Its sad that people watch all khabib fights and look at Oliveira last night and think khabib wouldnt just roll him over like he does everyone else.
What does this say in coherent?

Agree. Some acting like Oliveira is unbeatable and people are afraid to fight him. That’s laughable. I like Charles, he’s fun and definitely at his best right now. He is very good but the guy is definitely beatable both on the feet and the mat. I really don’t see him defending it more than once if that. The Chandler fight showed he has plenty of holes in his game.

But im talking about this fight specifically. He couldn't sub Chandler despite having his back. He was also taking hard shots on the ground. So what exactly did he show this fight that shows he would beat Khabib?

He was taking very few hard shots on the ground, and they came after he was rocked ON THE feet.

You're basing Chandlers tdd on him flow rolling with Usman? In wrestling shoes? Gaethje had the better tdd imo
Based on what? His fights with Luis Palomino? lol
Chandler is the more decorated wrestler, and his shorter frame makes it easier to defend, as I already mentioned.
They're TDD is at least comparable, with Chandler having much better sub defense. I'll concede that Gaethje has better cardio in the later rounds.

Based on what? His fights with Luis Palomino? lol
Chandler is the more decorated wrestler, and his shorter frame makes it easier to defend, as I already mentioned.
They're TDD is at least comparable, with Chandler having much better sub defense. I'll concede that Gaethje has better cardio in the later rounds.
Yes. Luis is much better comparison than comparing to flow grappling with wrestling shoes on. If it was a real fight, Usman would take him down and hold him down and he'd do nothing about it. Let's be real about that.

But I agree Chandler has better submission defense.

Agree to disagree. I think they were similar in performance. Once they both got tony down, tony couldn't get out. They both 30-27 tony iirc Oliveira hyperextended Tony's arm and dariush probably tore Tony's knee.

Nah, oliveira's positional dominance over Tony was far more impressive than Dariush's, he also hunted the submission far more than Dariush did and landed far more strikes than Dariush did. Similar performances, but Oliveira's performance was clearly better and he did it on 20 days notice.

Nah, oliveira's positional dominance over Tony was far more impressive than Dariush's, he also hunted the submission far more than Dariush did and landed far more strikes than Dariush did. Similar performances, but Oliveira's performance was clearly better and he did it on 20 days notice.
I'll have to give it another watch. I was going off memory. Either way I thought gaethje performance was better than both of them

Justin and Conor are terrible on the ground so if Charles could get either guy down it would be over.

I agree lightweight is a super competitive division however

I'll have to give it another watch. I was going off memory. Either way I thought gaethje performance was better than both of them

They're similar performances, it's just that Oliveira was landing takedowns easier, slicing through tony's guard far easier, getting full mount multiple times (and kept it for several minutes) and getting the better positions overall; landing a bit more strikes, and setting up more submission attempts. It was a cleaner, more thorough performance by oliveira all around. Also, tony was clearly saved by the bell against Oliveira.

Dariush, if I remember correctly, was mostly operating out of Tony's guard.

Hard to compare Oliveira's and Dariush's performances against Tony to Gaethje's-- they were very different fights.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, Do bronx is an elite ufc fighter and probably the most complete in the division. However, he clearly isn't "levels" above everyone else.
Its clear that against Chandler, anybody could've won. Hell, he couldn't even finish Chandler after getting his back. I'd have questions about him finishing poirier, gaethje, and even conor (who actually has decent bjj) on the ground.
Similarly, on the standup department, he did impress me with his timing, but his lack of head movement as well as how he took Chandler's shots would give me hesitation about taking him over the top 5 in the division. Guys like poirier and Gaethje have longer reach than chandler so it will be harder for olly to control the range with his leg kicks.

After seeing the Chandler fight, I'm not sure what I'm missing but the highest I'll rate do bronx is as the same tier as poirier and gaethje. I certainly won't rate him levels above any of the top 5.
We will see in timeX

Remember the LW belt has only been successfully defended a max of 3 times

Dude has literally 20 wins in the UFC you goof

A few losses as well, but sherdog is going crazy over him just because of Saturday night, nothing to do with any of his other wins. Thanks for playing though

Somewhat agree. Chandler should have finished the fight in R1, I was very disappointed he did not let Oliveira stand up. It could have went both ways.

nah. his best damage was on the ground.

Back