Stomach pains after distance runs....

Barnacles!**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been a track and field runner for two years now (started junior year of HS, and am running this coming freshman year), however I've been running pretty much my whole life. I'm above average (though not spectacular) at distance (4:33 mile, 2:01 800 meter)...

However, one problem that has always plagued me is violent stomach pains on days that I do long distance training. Any time I run over 5 miles, as soon as I stop they come in waves and seem to last for hours. I've dealt with them since I've gotten seriously into running, but they are not going away. My coach tells me to watch my diet before runs, but that's not the problem, I've tried running on an empty stomach and with a light snack about an hour before. I think it's simply something genetic and I'm just gonna have to get used to it.

Seems like a little bit like a wall of text, but I was just curious if anyone else (fighters, runners, anyone who trains) had this problem....

Do you get the same nausea if you slow down the pace significantly? It sounds like you are simply running too fast, and your body is reacting to the by products of extended anaerobic exercise.

That being said, if you are training to be a faster distance runner, you may be stuck with this. I know plenty of distance runners who heave after every single race.

if you dont think its what you have ate before hand i would slow your run down and see what happens. Run at about 60% or so of what you usually do. If it doesnt hurt gradually increase the effort until it does. If it still hurts after reducing it that much id see a doc or somthing cuz i cant think of anything it could be.

if you dont think its what you have ate before hand i would slow your run down and see what happens. Run at about 60% or so of what you usually do. If it doesnt hurt gradually increase the effort until it does. If it still hurts after reducing it that much id see a doc or somthing cuz i cant think of anything it could be.

You shouldn't be doing distance runs at anything more than 60 - 65% anyways. 80% max heart rate is where you are aiming for when you do repeats on the track. Fixx says that it does not matter how fast you are running when it comes to distance either as your aim is mileage, as you are not building speed on these days anyways.

You shouldn't be doing distance runs at anything more than 60 - 65% anyways. 80% max heart rate is where you are aiming for when you do repeats on the track. Fixx says that it does not matter how fast you are running when it comes to distance either as your aim is mileage, as you are not building speed on these days anyways.

Do you get the same nausea if you slow down the pace significantly? It sounds like you are simply running too fast, and your body is reacting to the by products of extended anaerobic exercise.

That being said, if you are training to be a faster distance runner, you may be stuck with this. I know plenty of distance runners who heave after every single race.

First off, thank you everyone for your replies.

I think you may be right when it comes to speed and fluid intake, I do start off fast and tend to slow down towards the end.

It's interesting you bring up fluid intake, as soon as I read that it seems to make sense. I do run light on fluids. Sounds like a really amateur mistake, but I tend to air on the side of caution in regards to cramping so I drink less before hand. That is what you were referring to right? Not drinking enough? I normally do distance in the morning, so I'll try to get more in me.

Yeah man, I am definitely one of those guys haha. Until the last two meets of this year, I threw up after every damn race....

Long runs should always be at a pace where you can just muster a conversation. Any faster and you are going too fast.

Fluid intake is important, too much is obviously a problem, not enough however can lead to problems with feeling overheated and tired. I say avoid juices and dairy products for fluids, rather run on water as both can upset your stomach as well. Sip your water as well.

Long runs should always be at a pace where you can just muster a conversation. Any faster and you are going too fast.

It depends what he's training for. If he's looking for fast 1 mile or 5k times, then a lot of running at above the aerobic threshold is probably necessary to reach top competitive levels. I've always felt that some of these semi-long distances (5k) were some of the worst distances to race, because at high speeds they are almost entirely about how well your body tolerates functioning at oxygen deficits.

If he's running for general health, or as training for another sport, then running at that intensity level is insane and probably counter productive.

It depends what he's training for. If he's looking for fast 1 mile or 5k times, then a lot of running at above the aerobic threshold is probably necessary to reach top competitive levels. I've always felt that some of these semi-long distances (5k) were some of the worst distances to race, because at high speeds they are almost entirely about how well your body tolerates functioning at oxygen deficits.

If he's running for general health, or as training for another sport, then running at that intensity level is insane and probably counter productive.

This really echoes what my coach said this year. He said for middle distance, "you gotta practice running fast for long distances, to become better at running fast for shorter distances." (though as you can see, he didn't articulate it quite as well as you did). Granted, I think Flawed Logic is right in regards to not always going balls out on long days and dying, but as you mentioned, these races require a good degree of training that pushes your aerobic threshold.

You didn't run hard enough on the other two. ;)

Pfft, surprisingly it was when I ran my best times :).

Back