Economy Stock Market chat. Discuss everything from Musk to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airlines getting killed as usual. Richard Branson said the easiest way to become a millionaire is to be a billionaire and then get in the airline business. Warren Buffett said the Wright brothers should be shot. It's a tough industry.

103917827-GettyImages-104016838.1910x1000.jpg
Owns American and delta tho

waaaah rich man not spend all day work!!! rich man spend minutes joke on twitter!!! impeach rich man!
Are you dumb dude?
He has one of the most followed twitter accounts in the world and everytime he tweets 10 redundant articles get written about it.
His company lost ten billion in market cap and he could have easily been bent the fuck over by the SEC for tweets
He constantly spends his time BRAGGING about working 120 hrs a week, claiming he is saving the future of humanity with all these companies.

So yes, I do find it slightly noteworthy when he is making nonsensical replies to meme shit in the middle of the day.
Just like you'd find it weird if Jon Jones decided to chime in on this debate in the middle of training camp.

I'll cut you some slack cause I didn't post all his tweets, though since I posted he has made a few more weird ones.
screenshot-twitter.com-2019.01.04-22-00-26.png
screenshot-twitter.com-2019.01.04-22-00-45.png

Last edited:
Flirting with silver. It's about due to climb but when is the big question. Will it be anytime soon or is 2020 going to be the year. Oh wait! That might be to late. Dang.

https://www.kitco.com/silver-price-today-usa/

Silver Price Today
MARKET IS CLOSED (will open in 41 hrs. 22 mins.)

US Dollar
www.kitco.com

Silver Price in US Dollars
Jan 04, 2019 16:59 NY Time

Bid

-0.04 (-0.25%)

Ask

Silver Spot Price Silver Price Today Change
Silver price per ounce 15.67 -0.04
Silver price per gram 0.50 -0.00
Silver price per kilo 503.64 -1.29
Silver price in pennyweight 0.78 -0.00
Silver price in tola 5.87 -0.02
Silver price in tael (HK) 19.04 -0.05
Silver Chart
XAGUSD Chart by TradingView

Silver Fixes
London

Jan 04, 2019

Kitco

Jan 04, 2019

Hong Kong

Mumbai

United Kingdom

New York

Silver Historical Performance
Period Change ($) Change (%)
30 Days 1.20 8.30%
6 Months -0.39 -2.46%
1 Year -1.53 -8.92%
5 Years -4.48 -22.24%
Since 2000 10.26 189.56%
Silver Ratios
Commodities Ratios
Gold 0.0122
Platinum 0.0191
Palladium 0.0122
XAU 0.2180
HUI 0.0965

Airlines getting killed as usual. Richard Branson said the easiest way to become a millionaire is to be a billionaire and then get in the airline business. Warren Buffett said the Wright brothers should be shot. It's a tough industry.

103917827-GettyImages-104016838.1910x1000.jpg

Guy has a unfair advantage though seeing he has the creative gift of dyslexia.

giphy.webp

How much were these shares?
My cost basis is 1500, so 50 each.
My fist stocks were awful choices.
CISCO
GE
IBM
LU as in Lucent.
Only cisco and ibm are in the green. And that's with them lagging the broader market over the past 20 years

For what it matters, here's a breakdown of my portfolio.

Sector, Dollar weight, income weight
Energy 0.00% 0.00%
Materials 3.43% . 3.18%
Industrials 12.67% 12.57%
Consumer Discretionary 15.31% 12.45%
Consumer Staples 25.89% 30.31%
Healthcare 12.69% 11.39%
Financials 4.05% 5.80%
IT 16.51% 6.90%
Telecom 9.44% 17.41%
Utilities 0.00% 0.00%
Other 0.00% 0.00%

As you can see some industries pay much higher divs than others, and some are growing rapidly. Technically V and MA are in the IT sector, and they're both growing divs at roughly 20% with a low starting div amount, which is why their dollars don't match their income weight. It balances out the telecom sector.

You find financial sector have stocks with much higher dividend yields?

Right on. Percentage-wise you could take a bath there, but in terms of net wealth that shouldn't be a back-breaker. :D
Yeah % wise that crushed me. But I've invested since and am up in most of my investments. I have main which is a BDC, isn't up much but yields like 8% and raises are about the same as inflation

Yeah % wise that crushed me. But I've invested since and am up in most of my investments. I have main which is a BDC, isn't up much but yields like 8% and raises are about the same as inflation

Utilities and healthcare have worked out for me in general. Elsewhere it's been hit and miss.

Utilities and healthcare have worked out for me in general. Elsewhere it's been hit and miss.
Yeah, but utilities are slow growers. Visa and the like are growing at s great clip.
I messed up chasing high yields. They were all risky . Good thing I only made small bets. Otherwise I'd have wrecked my portfolio. I bet big on industrials and dome fintechs plus tobacco

Yeah, but utilities are slow growers. Visa and the like are growing at s great clip.
I messed up chasing high yields. They were all risky . Good thing I only made small bets. Otherwise I'd have wrecked my portfolio. I bet big on industrials and dome fintechs plus tobacco

Maybe depends. This one's doubled in the last five years. Dividend ain't great, but they've never cut it. Company is always looking to expand.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CWT

Never looked at Visa. Guess I f'd that up.

Looks like Apple is losing big today since they can't hit their quarterly sales forecast thanks to trade tensions with China and China's slowing economy. Apple is now behind Amazon, Microsoft, and Google for highest market cap....damn homie!

Lol, their are about a million memes out there saying that perhaps Apple tanked from mis-management, not any other non-sense.

Maybe depends. This one's doubled in the last five years. Dividend ain't great, but they've never cut it. Company is always looking to expand.

Dude don't worry, just buy Visa or master card. You won't regret it.

Never got CWT, was always rising price wise though. Seems like a good buy utility wise. That's a good buy imho

My cost basis is 1500, so 50 each.
My fist stocks were awful choices.
CISCO
GE
IBM
LU as in Lucent.
Only cisco and ibm are in the green. And that's with them lagging the broader market over the past 20 years

Dude. LOL. I was in college 99-03, and I think around 01 or 02 I almost bought Lucent for shits and giggles. It was like $2/share at the time if I remember.

As we become more and more a cashless society, companies like V, MA and others will keep growing. For a straight growth stock, I'd buy V now at a P/E of 34. MA's is 43, which is a bit high, but you could still dive in. DFS is another good choice too because they do more than just CC processing, and their P/E is just shy of 11. Good deal right now.

memes are the best at giving stock recommendations.

I would say that when it is 1,000's of memes with millions of upvotes all saying the same thing, that this is a better way to measure what is going on, then the talking heads in a box.

WP Carey is a good company.

For biotechs, ABBV will probably post double digit growth for at least 5 more years until Humira comes off patent.

I work for ILMN, and we're posting 20% growth per year right now. TMO is another double digit grower. GILD has a very low P/E right now and a solid pipeline, so they'd be someone I'd think about.

What about companies like pfizer? I own a few of them. They been good. Good dividend too. A defensive stock that grows. Forward PE of 14

chart.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back