Economy Stock Market chat. Discuss everything from Musk to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is he destructive to the markets lul
Are joking?
You're talking to someone who spends more time reading financial news than you spend hours at your job.
The trade negotiation fears caused a massive earnings calamity last quarter and the lack of solid deal, teased out over month, has caused incredible volatility where bits of news spoken by some of his staff, then refuted by other parts of his staff causing those spikes to erase.
From a stock market perspective this shit is terrible and causes pretty much every stock to become dangerous to trade, which scares away investment while also causing shitloads of stress to people brave enough to put their money in (myself included)

What do you guys think of CTL? Div yield is around 13% right now. Do you think they'll cut the dividend anytime soon?

On a Dec 4 conference call they re affirmed their dividend payout. Its been constant for 6 years now.

You've heard it before but I'm starting to also think we are entering a Japanese-like narrow range for a long while after the volatility calms down.

The Japanese stock market has been in a narrow range since 1991.

I'm personally in favor of much higher interest rates.

Im not saying it is or isn’t the truth but can you pm a source for this

It's pretty widely reported from the Immelt days. https://www.reuters.com/article/ge/...olders-for-dividend-cut-idUSN2253899920090422

"Several retirees and shareholders criticized Immelt, 53, for saying as late as January that the largest U.S. conglomerate would stand by its 2009 dividend plan. In February, GE cut its dividend effective in the second half of the year."

This was when they cut it from $0.31 to $0.10, a 68% reduction. Just recently they cut it again to $0.01.

It's pretty widely reported from the Immelt days. https://www.reuters.com/article/ge/...olders-for-dividend-cut-idUSN2253899920090422

"Several retirees and shareholders criticized Immelt, 53, for saying as late as January that the largest U.S. conglomerate would stand by its 2009 dividend plan. In February, GE cut its dividend effective in the second half of the year."

This was when they cut it from $0.31 to $0.10, a 68% reduction. Just recently they cut it again to $0.01.

Thanks. I see that happened 10 years ago during the recession. For the most part, you can trust when a company says they are maintaining a dividend.

Thanks. I see that happened 10 years ago during the recession. For the most part, you can trust when a company says they are maintaining a dividend.

I understand that. However, GE was one of the most cherished/revered companies for a long time, and they said that. It's not as uncommon as you think, because they said they're maintaining their div again, and cut it TWICE in 2018 (payouts went from $0.24/quarter to $0.12/quarter starting with Jan 2018 payout)

Early Sept "We're keeping the div at $0.12/quarter" . https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ge-holds-quarterly-dividend-steady-at-12-cents-2018-09-07 .

Late Oct "just kidding, $0.01 it is!" https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/investing/ge-dividend-cut-earnings-culp/index.html

I'm green as shit. Macy's finally starting to pay off.

m.jpg

Last edited:
Are joking?
You're talking to someone who spends more time reading financial news than you spend hours at your job.
The trade negotiation fears caused a massive earnings calamity last quarter and the lack of solid deal, teased out over month, has caused incredible volatility where bits of news spoken by some of his staff, then refuted by other parts of his staff causing those spikes to erase.
From a stock market perspective this shit is terrible and causes pretty much every stock to become dangerous to trade, which scares away investment while also causing shitloads of stress to people brave enough to put their money in (myself included)

Trump has definitely lost me money but it cuts both ways. Good and bad. Volatility is the lifeblood of traders like you and me. Instead of everyone passive investing in ETFs. As Billions said, etfs have dried up the dumb money in the market. It's to the point where it becomes almost an insurance company. The risk is so spread out, so many players buying the same thing, making big gains and losses less likely. This is good.....for pussies. lol

for you guys who have actually shorted companies, can you walk me through the logistics, the borrow rate, the margin short % that you have to hold?

the curious part of me is feeling like Uber and Lyft and should be shorted after their IPO

i knew snapchat was worthless when it went IPO, didn't do anything about it, this time with uber/lyft either short or buy put options

the curious part of me is feeling like Uber and Lyft and should be shorted after their IPO

i knew snapchat was worthless when it went IPO, didn't do anything about it, this time with uber/lyft either short or buy put options

Snapchat was fine until the redesign. Kylie Jenner's tweet killed that company.

Shorting stuff is generally stupid and has a low probability of working. I have no idea why you would want to short Uber and Lyft. You have no idea how they will do.

Snapchat was fine until the redesign. Kylie Jenner's tweet killed that company.

Shorting stuff is generally stupid and has a low probability of working. I have no idea why you would want to short Uber and Lyft. You have no idea how they will do.
They cant make money as it is today, and drivers are unhappy with pay

Bought a credit put spread for Tesla when it was $310 for Sell at $300/ buy at $295. The thing kept going down to $300. After market now up to $304. I just started playing with out of money credit put spreads on Robinhood. Should net $112 at the end of next week if over $300.

Shorting is only a very near-term strategy and long term a loser bet. Also extremely risky since you can lose more than 100% (ex. short a stock at $6, it could go to $18 and you'd be out 300% your money despite having at best made like 90% of your money (since it's extremely unlikely a stock goes from 6 to below 1 in short period of time).

I do it selectively as a hedge or when I see something overvalued, but I never really "hold" a short position unless I'm waiting for the drop to arrive, like I did with Tesla today.

They cant make money as it is today, and drivers are unhappy with pay

Who cares? Workers at Walmart, Amazon, etc are unhappy with their pay. I don't know what is going to happen but to have a strong belief they will fail is baseless. Nobody could possibly know that.

almost all my domestic investments lost money (for now)
literally every one of my international investments made money.
my financial guy is great.
predicted the situation a year ago.

Who cares? Workers at Walmart, Amazon, etc are unhappy with their pay. I don't know what is going to happen but to have a strong belief they will fail is baseless. Nobody could possibly know that.

People are realizing earlier uber being subsidized by the driver, like govt subsizing walmart employees

If uber cant make money today and margins are getting squeezed even more with offerings such as pool and Express pool they are just looking to IPO to dump onto retail investor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back