Economy Stock Market chat. Discuss everything from Musk to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netflix popped on news it is raising prices. I learned this from Jim Cramer. When Amazon raised their prime price he said that was good and stock will go up. Same with Etsy raising fees. It is kind of counterintutive but it is often good for the company to raise prices on services. This doesn't work in many other areas where people are very price sensitive. This is why food companies make the box smaller instead of raising the price.
speaking of foods, Chipotle has made tremendous gains from last February. +100% gain.

speaking of foods, Chipotle has made tremendous gains from last February. +100% gain.

Chipotle is always one food poisoning away from crashing hard. It is a good business and stock but still hasn't recovered from health scares from years ago .And there was another not too long ago. Without those incidents the stock may be twice the price. It is an extremely news sensitive stock . It will get you a bigger return than McDonald's probably but riskier. Chipotle has had terrible luck but is succeeding.

Bogle was only worth 80 mil.
A staggeringly small sum
Goes to show you how much the rest of the upperclass is manipulative hoarders.

Lynch retired his in his 40s and Vanguard blew up after Bogle left. Off topic but another early retirement story: the creator of calvin and hobbes did all those strips and retired before he was 40. I thought he was much older than that.

They are talking more about Bogle. He believed that most managers don't beat the market and the few ones who do, like Peter Lynch who he named, are such stars. So unless you have Peter Lynch, buy index funds.

I mean it is hard for big money to beat the market because they ARE the market. So they get a market return which ends up being less than market return for you because of fees.

Lynch fuckin destroyed the S and P.

at Fidelity Investments between 1977 and 1990, Lynch averaged a 29.2% annual return,[3] consistently more than doubling the S&P 500 market index and making it the best performing mutual fund in the world.[4][5] During his tenure, assets under management increased from $18 million to $14 billion.[6]

Lynch is selling his house if you are interested:

636123250360266310-002-Custom-Estate.jpg

investor-peter-lynch-lists-scottsdale-home-for-14m4.jpg

26-evening-pool-and-patio.jpg

Last edited:
What do you guys think of CTL? Div yield is around 13% right now. Do you think they'll cut the dividend anytime soon?

What do you guys think of CTL? Div yield is around 13% right now. Do you think they'll cut the dividend anytime soon?

CenturyLink? They just had that massive outage last week or the week prior across the US. It might be a good week to buy as they'll report soon. Morgan Stanley sees a 50% upside for the stock.

However, no blue chip, regular stock maintains a 13% dividend.

They are talking more about Bogle. He believed that most managers don't beat the market and the few ones who do, like Peter Lynch who he named, are such stars. So unless you have Peter Lynch, buy index funds.

Yep, agreed. Guys like Lynch are so few and far between.

CenturyLink? They just had that massive outage last week or the week prior across the US. It might be a good week to buy as they'll report soon. Morgan Stanley sees a 50% upside for the stock.

However, no blue chip, regular stock maintains a 13% dividend.
Yes them. Could be viewed as undervalued right?

Yes them. Could be viewed as undervalued right?

Yes, a bit. They're near their 52 week low with a P/E under 9. One of their major stakeholders just filed to sell 16M shares though.

It's lagging beyond other similar stocks, so I'd be hesitant unless you want to see what happens in the next week.

Yes, a bit. They're near their 52 week low with a P/E under 9. One of their major stakeholders just filed to sell 16M shares though.

It's lagging beyond other similar stocks, so I'd be hesitant unless you want to see what happens in the next week.

There was just an article yesterday on 3 stocks who are in danger of dividend cuts. CTL is one of them.

As bullish investors started to get a foothold against the relentless selling pressure at the end of 2018, many turned their attention to dividend-paying stocks to start 2019. Attractive fundamentals combined with yield made for an interesting case in early January, but given the strong price gains and closes near major resistance levels, it could be best if investors proceed with caution. The paragraphs below will take a look at three charts suggesting that the bounce is nearing an end and that a move lower could be in the cards.

Active traders who are interested in a certain market segment will often look to the top holdings of popular ETFs such as DVY. As a top holding, CenturyLink, Inc. (CTL) will likely be of specific interest because the price has recently fallen below several key levels of support and looks poised to make a move lower. The fall below its 200-day moving average in late 2018 resulted in a bearish crossover between the 50-day and 200-day moving average (as shown by the blue circle).

As noted in the case above, the recent bounce toward the new-found levels of resistance could provide bearish traders with a case for entering a short positionwith defined levels for placing stop-loss orders to protect against a move higher. Fundamentally, if a dividend cut were to happen, it would likely send the price sharply lower and lead to significant gains for the bears.

https://www.investopedia.com/3-char...m_source=yahoo&utm_medium=referral&yptr=yahoo

A company I actually trust to pay a dividend that high is IEP. Carl Icahn's company.

I mean it is hard for big money to beat the market because they ARE the market. So they get a market return which ends up being less than market return for you because of fees.

Lynch fuckin destroyed the S and P.

at Fidelity Investments between 1977 and 1990, Lynch averaged a 29.2% annual return,[3] consistently more than doubling the S&P 500 market index and making it the best performing mutual fund in the world.[4][5] During his tenure, assets under management increased from $18 million to $14 billion.[6]

Lynch is selling his house if you are interested:

636123250360266310-002-Custom-Estate.jpg

investor-peter-lynch-lists-scottsdale-home-for-14m4.jpg

26-evening-pool-and-patio.jpg
That's why it's peculiar hearing you talk about trading so many stocks when empirically you're better off pursuing index

That's why it's peculiar hearing you talk about trading so many stocks when empirically you're better off pursuing index

Well I have beat the market so far. Maybe I could be one of those rarities like Lynch. I don't like a lot of etfs because the companies they have in their holdings. One company in the ETF I don't like and i won't buy it. I am making my own ETF basically. It's got Apple, Microsoft, Oil Companies, Retail.

Well I have beat the market so far. Maybe I could be one of those rarities like Lynch. I don't like a lot of etfs because the companies they have in their holdings. One company in the ETF I don't like and i won't buy it. I am making my own ETF basically. It's got Apple, Microsoft, Oil Companies, Retail.

I'm essentially making my own ETF too, all div paying stocks, mostly large cap.

I'm essentially making my own ETF too, all div paying stocks, mostly large cap.

One thing etfs are really good for is shorting the entire market. They make that easy. I always have a few SH and buy them on dips. It is a bearish s and p 500 etf. TVIX too, which is twice leveraged volatility. Vix. Fun game.

These guys who bet on Vix are hilarious. They want volatility. They want the world to fall apart. They want bad things to happen. Like in one stock chat after North Korea was cooling off somebody said, "Assad is our last hope." lol. One was so desperate they asked if the vix would go up from Barbara Bush dying.

I too am beating the market since I took half my dough out of indexes to become a trader, but it's been pretty crazy.
Trump is so destructive to the markets which has helped me greatly, but also causes so much stress for everyone

I started using Sigfig a few years ago but decided to make my own spreadsheets instead. However it automatically updates now, so I checked my return vs the S&P. My 1 year return is a dismal 0.2%, but the S&P is -6.45%, so I'm beating it for sure.

Last edited:
not sure what the term is for counter investing in a company is, but counter invest in cable companies because out of the couple hundred people i know about 5 pay for cable and the rest watch online for $10 a month.

As a great man once said. "cant stop the internet"

I too am beating the market since I took half my dough out of indexes to become a trader, but it's been pretty crazy.
Trump is so destructive to the markets which has helped me greatly, but also causes so much stress for everyone

How is he destructive to the markets lul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back