Stipe Miocic...NCAA Division I wrestler?

Uh, no. He was never able to keep JDS down for very long. Not even in the third fight either.

Lol he took JDS down almost at will in the later rounds of the second fight and beat him up all the way from bottom to top. Whenever JDS did get up he got taken back down again.

Sorry. The one high level wrestler JDS has faced and he has been getting rag dolled. You can't call his scramble/ getting back to his feet ability better than Chuck who made a career out of it. JDS has had his wrestling seriously tested 3 times and he has failed twice. Which, also, again, Chuck has shown a much better defensive clinch and ability to get off the cage.

Lol he took JDS down almost at will in the later rounds of the second fight and beat him up all the way from bottom to top. Whenever JDS did get up he got taken back down again.

Sorry. The one high level wrestler JDS has faced and he has been getting rag dolled. You can't call his scramble/ getting back to his feet ability better than Chuck who made a career out of it. JDS has had his wrestling seriously tested 3 times and he has failed twice. Which, also, again, Chuck has shown a much better defensive clinch and ability to get off the cage.

Chuck never fought an MMA fighter of Cain level and won.
Courture with his rudimentary striking was able to outstrike him thanks to take down threat on the first fight.
Every time he fought a guy who could both grapple and strike he lost.
Chuck did a lot for the sport, and helped its evolution, but his style is obsolete, he's not a top MMA fighter by today standards, JDS is absolutely better.

Courture with his rudimentary striking was able to outstrike him thanks to take down threat on the first fight.
Chuck did a lot for the sport, and helped its evolution, but his style is obsolete, he's not a top MMA fighter by today standards, JDS is absolutely better.

Vitor can't grapple and strike?
Overeem can't grapple and strike?
Couture could only grapple and strike in their first fight, right? The second and third fights he had suddenly lost that ability?

I'm not talking about Chuck vs JDS.

I'm comparing their demonstrated grappling/ wrestling/ clinch wrestling abilities.

So, you just wrote all that crap for nothing.

Vitor can't grapple and strike?
Overeem can't grapple and strike?
Couture could only grapple and strike in their first fight, right? The second and third fights he had suddenly lost that ability?

Ok, it was an exaggeration of my part, but neither Vitor or Reem presented a takedown threat. Couture couldn't strike, I already said he won the first fight because he could potentially take Chuck down.
Vitor and Reem weren't great strikers at the time they fought Chuck, they were good for the MMA standard of the time, but they're both successful now because they evolved their games, don't act like it was ViTRTor and Ubereem the ones that fought Chuck.
The Vitor fight was on 2002, at the time,all Vitor did was swarming with straights.
The Overeem fight was on 2003.
You know what happened after that fight? Rampage happened.
I'm not hating on Chuck, he is a legend, and accomplished all he did for a reason, but he's not on today's level of MMA.

I'm not talking about Chuck vs JDS.

I'm comparing their demonstrated grappling/ wrestling/ clinch wrestling abilities.

So, you just wrote all that crap for nothing.

You were arguing that Chuck was the better MMA fighter because of his grappling, I'm making a point that this is not true. JDS was dominated on the ground by one of the most complete HWs of all time, it's easier to get outgrappled when you don't have the huge striking advantage that Chuck held against most of his opposition, demonstrated by the first Rampage fight.

You were arguing that Chuck was the better MMA fighter because of his grappling, I'm making a point that this is not true. JDS was dominated on the ground by one of the most complete HWs of all time, it's easier to get outgrappled when you don't have the huge striking advantage that Chuck held against most of his opposition, demonstrated by the first Rampage fight.

Where the FUCK did I say that? Learn to read man.

Here:

Where you were correcting this statement.

Or, maybe I was just making a statement that Chuck's MMA grappling is more impressive than what JDS has shown. Because calling either a better fighter than the other is dumb.

One is a HW. The other is a LHW. Chuck was a more dominant champ. JDS faced the best opponent in Cain. Chuck fought in a deeper division than this mess of the UFC LHW division. Etc. Etc. Who knows who is better because the opponents they are meeting are wildly different, in different weight classes, etc.

Believe it or not, I can critique a single aspect if I'd like to.

He was also an NCAA division I baseball player should he just randomly slide into his opponents feet too?

He is a Golden Glove boxer...and in his UFC career he took down Beltran, Rosario (RIP), Struve, and Gabe Gonzaga. So he uses his wrestling, but he only has one loss in the UFC...so apparently his boxing his working for him as well.

I didn't know Stipe was actually a Div I wrestler in college (according to his Wiki page). How come he doesn't use his wrestling all that much? I've only seen him stand and box.

He tried for a very pathetic single leg takedown on an exhausted Roy Nelson and still didn't get it. That's why this was a surprise to me.

You gotta be kidding me. Pathetic single leg? Ugh

He took down everyone he's fought in the UFC including Roy, except for the guyhe KOd before he had a chance

Chuck seemed to stay on top longer than JDS with his style.
Both are done now.

He beat Shane Del Rosario with takedowns but he had good standup and not good takedown defense. He reminds me of a HW Chuck. I think he's going to improve and be a serious guy in a couple years.

This... Del Rosario was tooling him standing up, so Stipe took him down and pounded him out

He also used his wrestling against Hunt

We should see a few takedown attempts from Miocic vs Ngannou

Because it's a global professional sport of fighting and not some little rinkydink inter-school gym class contest?

I think he uses it more like Chuck did, to keep the fight where he wants it.

I like when a thread from three years ago gets bumped and people reply to the old posts like they’re from today... LOL.

Back