Stipe Miocic: Is He Good Enough To Fight For The Title In The Near Future?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Arkridge, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Arkridge

Arkridge Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

The guy has won 3 fights in row since his TKO loss to Struve, even if the Maldonado fight was an embarrassment, a win is a win I guess. He's 12-1 overall and his boxing has steadily improved since coming to the UFC, he boxed Roy Nelson and Gonzaga the fuck up, he seems to still be improving too. He came into the UFC with an impressive wrestling background, he's got solid size for HW and good punching power. Do you think he's got it in him to win enough fights or beat a top guy to earn himself a title shot, and if so, do you think he's got what it takes to stay competitive against the champ?

I'd love to see him fight Travis Browne next even though he's coming off of a loss. A rebooking of the JDS fight makes a lot of sense as well.

2. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Special Advisor

Depends on how they book him. He's certainly talented enough to earn a title shot in the shallow HW division. But if they rebook the JDS fight he will get destroyed and that will pretty much eliminate the possibility of him fighting for the title in the near future.

3. Arkridge

Agreed, but that goes for most guys. JDS is like the HW Urijah Faber. I'd favor Miocic against guys like Travis Browne due to cardio and being a lot more technical, and I think he's too athletic for guys like Bigfoot and Barnett, those would be good matchups for him.

4. Taric

Taric Gold Belt

If he does, it shows how truly weak the HW division is.

5. Handawg

Handawg Brown Belt

I think JDS and Cain are the only HW's that Stipe would lose to 9 times out of 10.

6. Megatronlee

Megatronlee Red Belt

No. No. No

7. welcometohavoc

welcometohavoc Yellow Card

I just hope Stipe doesn't suffer the same fate as fighters like Werdum and Zingano (slightly different) who have all this momentum and end up having to fight an extra fight due to injury/TUF w/e

8. edwinmaniac

edwinmaniac Blue Belt

sure, the HW division is so shallow, he's pretty much already a top contender

9. Jackonflame

Jackonflame Gold Belt

Really wish we could have seen him against JDS last night.

UFC might keep him away at this point though if they feel he's a potential contender.

10. Bigj383

Bigj383 Gold Belt

Needs to face tougher competition to really find out. Put him in with Alistair, Bigfoot (after suspension), or Browne, even get the JDS fight though that's a tall order beating JDS would guarantee a title shot.

11. theanticool

theanticool Brown Belt

I'd say he's one win away. It's not like there's a whole lot of fresh challengers right now.

12. Arkridge

I don't follow. Stipe isn't a bad fighter, he's 12-1 with his only loss being to Struve. A fight I'd favor him in if there was a rematch. His boxing has improved a fuck ton since than. Getting caught at HW happens, everyone in the division hits hard as fuck.

13. bluesnoopz

bluesnoopz Brown Belt

[​IMG]

PLEASE FEED STIPE TO JDS.

14. VPofAtheism

VPofAtheism Orange Belt

I am literally reading through the thread thinking to myself, yeah one more fight, but it would be nice if that one more fight was JDS. Read my mind!

15. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

The division is pretty shallow at hw, so there are a few guys that we could see end up in the title picture that we may not if the division was more stacked. A prime example would be hunt/Nelson......but guys are on pretty solid win/loss records.

Miocic is in there for sure for this reason. He took care of business pretty quick and I expect him back fighting soon. The hw division needs a few guys set guys set up for title shots. I think he need a solid top 10 over a overeem or Barnett and he's either in for a shot or at the least a #1 contenders match

16. Nameless Ghoul

Nameless Ghoul Black Belt

With Stipe being the "hometown guy" around here I want the JDS fight to happen. At this point though with Stipe being on a 3 fight streak I don't know if they will have Junior kill off a contender. Really I think it will come down to can Cain or Werdum stay healthy and what timeframe he next HW defense would happen.

17. Razor

Razor can you dig it, sucka?

Stipe would beat JDS.

18. 5H3RD0G

5H3RD0G Silver Belt

Cain definitely needs challengers best to not eliminate them and line them up for him.

19. Berri

Berri Yellow Belt

I agree fully to these sentiments.

I consider his win over Maldonado to be a wash for his KO loss to Struve (whom I happen to like quite a lot). I think Miocic skill-wise shouldn't have lost that fight, and only came up on the wrong end of a HW power punch.

His head movement is sporadic and needs improvement, and he needs to kick more. His athleticism advantage over other HW's if matched up with Cain, and will need more tools to take down the champ.

20. campbecc

campbecc Silver Belt

this