Stipe has only fought 1 fighter in the current top 15 rankings

Umm...that’s kind of sad that most everybody he beat were guys who were fighting back in 2004....

Stipe “Geriatric Killa” Miocic....
<{MingNope}><{MingNope}><{MingNope}>

@mjfan23 get in here brotha

That would a good point if the heavyweight division didn't have the highest average age across all UFC divisions

He only fought once a year twice. One of those times he had surgery (eye).

Outside those two years he averaged a fight every 6 months.

Including those 2 years in the average, every 7 months.

Most active HW champ since Sylvia. One of the most active UFC champs in the last decade, across all divisions.

I’m not even a big fan. But I do prefer milk in my coffee, back in my baby, and facts in my opinions. Try it some time.
Well this is awkward

You're bringing up fights from over 5 years ago. He's fought no one in the current top 15 apart from Ngannou who just dominated him.

He's had to fight the same two guys for the last 3.5 years.

Alexander Volkanovski has only fought 1 guy in the current top 15 as well. It doesn't make him less of a champion / a lesser resume.

The guys he beat either moved weight classes or retired. Same with Stipe. Almost all the guys he beat are retired or moved organizations.

Yes he should. Sick of all these immediate rematches.

He's had to fight the same two guys for the last 3.5 years.

Alexander Volkanovski has only fought 1 guy in the current top 15 as well. It doesn't make him less of a champion / a lesser resume.

The guys he beat either moved weight classes or retired. Same with Stipe. Almost all the guys he beat are retired or moved organizations.

Volkanovski is the champion, he's going to fight whoever the next contender is. Stipe isn't the champion. He should have to fight someone in the top 15 at least.

That would a good point if the heavyweight division didn't have the highest average age across all UFC divisions
Does not change the point...UFC HW division was full of old men and Stipe beat up mostly old/high mileage guys.

Great.

<Durant35>

Arlovski was ranked #2 when Stipe beat him
Werdum was the champion when Stipe beat him (#1)
Overeem was ranked #3 when Stipe beat him
JDS was ranked #4
Ngannou was #1 ranked in the first fight
Stipe beat Cormier when DC was the champion (#1)
Then Stipe beat him again when DC was the #1 contender

So his last 7 wins were all top 5 opponents, 2 of which were undisputed champions

I don't disagree with what you said, I agree with all of it but Arlovski was #4, not #2

Volkanovski is the champion, he's going to fight whoever the next contender is. Stipe isn't the champion. He should have to fight someone in the top 15 at least.

I don't disagree, I'm just pointing out that a fighters resume starts from their first pro fight to now. It doesn't start from the moment they lose the title.

The division isn't deep enough for it to be something the UFC would consider. Stipe is the next biggest name with enough recognition to sell a PPV. Miocic likely isn't taking any fights in the meantime. If Ngannou beats Lewis and Jones doesn't take the fight, Dana will give Stipe the next shot.

Should he beat another fighter or two? Yes. But should his resume be discredited just because the vast majority of the fighters he beat are now in different organizations or retired? No. 7 of his last 7 wins were top 5. 2 champions at that current time. That can't be said about any heavyweight in the current top 15. Lol

Does not change the point...UFC HW division was full of old men and Stipe beat up mostly old/high mileage guys.

Great.

<Durant35>

Every HW Champion will be beating "old men". Ngannou just beat a 38 year old to win the title. That's my point. The division's average age is around 34-35+

I don't disagree with what you said, I agree with all of it but Arlovski was #4, not #2

upload_2021-5-15_14-6-27.png

I don't disagree, I'm just pointing out that a fighters resume starts from their first pro fight to now. It doesn't start from the moment they lose the title.

The thread isn't about his resume. It's about how he hasn't fought the current crop of heavyweights. I'm suggesting he should do so.

The thread isn't about his resume. It's about how he hasn't fought the current crop of heavyweights.

When you're talking about a fighter lacking current top 15 wins, you're talking about their resume.

When you're talking about a fighter lacking current top 15 wins, you're talking about their resume.

He literally doesn't have current top 15 wins. I don't see how bringing up people he fought over 5 years ago is relevant to that point.

He literally doesn't have current top 15 wins. I don't see how bringing up people he fought over 5 years ago is relevant to that point.

It's relevant because that was the basis of how he got the title shot against Cormier in the rematch. He got it because he had the "most title defenses of any HW Champion in UFC history". That was a big narrative going into the rematch.

I agree with you though. As long as we both agree that his overall resume shouldn't be discredited just because most of the fighters he beat are retired / moved organizations, then that's fine.

And Jon fought none, ever.

That's a very recent statistic birthed by recent rounds of roster purging, where some of the more expensive (b/c resume and seniority) among HWs got bled off. And as far as I can remember they were still top 15 at the time. It's a little disingenuous to state that a situation due solely to UFC budget/personnel decisions is something to be held against Stipe's credit.

It's relevant because that was the basis of how he got the title shot against Cormier in the rematch. He got it because he had the "most title defenses of any HW Champion in UFC history". That was a big narrative going into the rematch.

I agree with you though. As long as we both agree that his overall resume shouldn't be discredited just because most of the fighters he beat are retired / moved organizations, then that's fine.

His overall greatness shouldn't be discredited. But I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about what has he done recently. Can he beat these top 5 heavyweights? I want to see evidence.

His overall greatness shouldn't be discredited. But I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about what has he done recently. Can he beat these top 5 heavyweights? I want to see evidence.

Same. I've always thought a fight between him and Blaydes or Volkov would be a close fight. Especially right now

Back