Stipe has more title defenses than Fedor

PRIDE Mark Hunt had a good ground game. Okay, guy - I think those highlights of Mark Hunt trying to put Fedor in a kimura has fudged your memory badly.

Yes, Mark Hunt was much better post Japan.

He was always just a power puncher with a hard chin. He was never a well rounded fighter. That's not a UFC only thing.

He was in his physical prime as a PRIDE fighter - he was faster, that was literally it. He fought more methodically in the UFC, do you think he got wins in the UFC over named opponents by accident? Mark Hunt was getting beat up by middleweights a year or 2 after he fought Fedor and was seen as a can - no one in their right mind thought Mark Hunt was a can by the time he fought Stipe.

Try telling Chiek Kongo, Roy Nelson, Ben Rothwell, Frank Mir, Antonio Silva and Derrik Lewis that Mark Hunt was not in his prime.

Mark Hunt had competitive fights with Crocop who he matches well with stylistically but for all intents and purposes was expected to be fed to Crocop - and he got a fortunate decision against Wanderlei Silva who he outweighted by 80 pounds (Mark didn't even think he deserved to beat Wanderlei). Mark Hunt was marketed hard by PRIDE as a legit threat, the guy was a kickboxer who literally just jumped over to MMA for shits and giggles - and he wasn't even like the goat kickboxer or something, he was probably the weakest K1 grandprix winner in history.

But seriously, Mark Hunt had a good ground game in Japan? Come on now, I think you're exaggerating or your standards for good are really low. Mark Hunt was overrated in Japan and underrated in USA - and yes he was slow and plodding in the UFC, but his fight IQ and timing were better.
He had an excellent groundgame that he trained very well. Around the time he fought Wand was his best years And his best groundgame.

Your silly claim is something you got from Joe Rogan? It is not just dumb, it is also very untrue. I know many kids love Rogan And quote him whenever they can.

Hunt was an incredible talent, both in mma And kickboxing, so him beating some lesser opponents, even past his prime is not so strange. Even today he is dangerous.

Fair enough but I will point out JDS beat Crocop well passed his prime and didn't exactly "own" him since he was fed a steady diet of straight left hands throughout the fight. The Crocop Fedor fought likely wins that fight.

I also said Stipe is the better fundamental Boxer meaning he has a textbook approach in regards to his stance, movement and defence, always keeping his hands up and maintaining proper mechanics, being technically sound from a traditional Boxing standpoint doesn't necessarily mean you're better in every aspect of MMA adapted Boxing though.

Anyways, cheers dude, definitely an agree to disagree situation here, lol.
It’s like arguing Wilt v Lebron in some senses. MJ v Lebron maybe. Ali v Tyson.

Just absolutely impossible to come to any sort of solid conclusion. They were both absolutely dominant and all time greats when they were in their stride

Fedor won 13 straight fights after he won the title in PRIDE. But most of them were like this:

22812.jpg

PRIDE didn't count that as a title defense. He only had 3 title defenses: 1 against Cro Cop, 1 against Nog, and 1 against Hunt. If you include the title when he won it against Nog, that's 4 championship wins.

Stipe has won the the title 2x and defended it 3x. That gives him 5 championships.

Fedor's has a great numerical record but lots of those numbers were like:

20141225070548_ogawa.JPG

Does that mean Stipe > Fedor?
You use the picture of Ogawa as an attempt to mock his record and yet Ogawa was an Olympic silver medalist judoka. Fedor reversed Ogawa's body lock, landed in mount and transitioned to arm bar. Folks on here would have lost their shit if someone did that to Rousey. Yeah she was one dimensional but nobody fucked with her Judo. Fedor beat guys at their own game.

I'm trying to imagine Stipe fighting Pride era Fedor

Things just do not look good for Stipe

Look at the Randelplex, slammed on his head and badly dazed only to win by submission seconds later, the two times we've seen Stipe put in a similar vulnerable position its ended in defeat.

Excuse me? What about the Overeem fight? Dropped on his ass with a flash KO and caught in a guillotine, yet Stipe breaks free and gets a KO victory the same round?

Stipe > abyss > Fedor, and this is not even debatable.

Fedor fought a 0-1 pro wrestler in his prime

Stipe got beat up by struve while coming up.
Fedor was undefeated until after his prime.

No discussion.
Stipe fought in the US. Fedor started losing as soon as there was an athletic commission involved.

Stipe got beat up by struve while coming up.
Fedor was undefeated until after his prime.

No discussion.

Eh...technically speaking, Fedor has an early loss due to doctor stoppage on his record. Now before you ream me I'll agree: it's a bullshit one in a lot of respects, and shouldn't be counted as a ding on Fedor's greatness. But that's not the point I want to make.

I'm a big believer in the concept of a prospect loss. Many times a great prospect who's just been mowing people down without much resistance in their rise doesn't really "get" that he can lose until it happens. Of course he knows intellectually he can and will repeat the appropriate sentiments on cue, and THINKS he gets it. But until losing becomes more than a theory there's no obvious reason to do things any differently, to step up your game. Only after you've been slapped in the face with an L do you truly bear down and come into your own.

I really think the Struve loss has to be seen in that light. That it's not a matter of Who so much as When. Blank out the names for a moment, and consider the situation. An undefeated guy in his first year of being in the UFC — barely into his third year of being a pro fighter — gets thrust into being the Main Event of a card that will be his first fight outside his home country, matched against someone with three times the experience. A 9-0 record pitted against a 25-5. Is the 0 going away such a surprising thing?

Fedor's "loss" was a far different thing than being battered into a standing TKO like Stipe was: a lot more a matter of happenstance, a lot less humiliating, no where near the black mark on a record. But I propose the mere fact of being counted as an L could have had just as much of a salutary effect. A reminder that you can't count on things going your way, and a spur to making sure in the future you'll do whatever you can to prevent a recurrence of that humiliating moment of the other guy getting the nod.

In short — that without that early "loss" you wouldn't have "undefeated for 10 years" Fedor.

31-1-1 over a span of 9 years with 7 championship wins(4 Pride, 3 WAMMA)

Vs

19-3 over a 9 year span with 5 championship wins(I ratethe UFC wins over WAMMA to be fair)

TBH the argument is closer than I would have thought. If you take away the bumps padding Fedors record its damn close.

If Stipe beats DC and/Ngannou again I can see it. If Jones comes up and Stipe beats him I dont see how anyone can argue anymore.

Kindof funny Fedors reign from first fight losing to Werdum is almost exactly 8 years 5 mths and Stipes career is 8 years 5 mths.

Last edited:
Stipe is better than Fedor, who throws sloppy haymakers/overhands and has mediocre wrestling and relied on Judo throws against awful opponents and has a bottom game that goes as far as explosive scrambles or hail mary armbars.

I’d take taller, greater reach national Golden Gloves quarter finalist + NCAA D1 wrestler Stipe over some overrated fat ass that used to be good in a time that MMA was barely developed/a C tier sport.

Lol stop. Fedor would obliterate Stipe, prime for prime. Not even close.

"MMA fans" who talk shit about Fedor only expose themselves as ignorants who havent trained MMA , and highly likelly any martial art at all, a single day of their lives.
Its as simple as that.

Watch cro-cop Fedor again. Cro-cop three less than 3 combos. All 1 punch or kicks. Fedor did fight monsters, but they were mostly unskilled strikers. I’ll do more research, but they were all dudes with a punchers chance.
That's what I meant. As crappy as those fighters were, Fedor fought them. Stipe didn't fight as many people.

To be fair, neither Stipe nor Fedor ever faced prime Ken Shamrock, who was literally better than them anywhere the fight goes.

To be fair, neither Stipe nor Fedor ever faced prime Ken Shamrock, who was literally better than them anywhere the fight goes.
Ken could bang with Fedor or Stipe? We’re all entitled to our opinions.

it’s the year 2020 and Fedor haters are still struggling

Stipe defended against very old overreem and JDS while fedor beat prime big nog and cro cop literally at their peaks.

Back