Stipe has more title defenses than Fedor

You didnt count pride.... you sir are a moron .

Go fuck you're live stock bud
As you have read this has been a civil conversation. If you’d like to start calling names, pitter patter.

Fedor will always have the record since most of his wins were against literal bums

He had some relatively easy fights. But 'literal bums' means homeless guys (look up the word literal, it doesn't mean what you seem to think it means). So which of his wins were against homeless guys?

Actually, Stipe is the only HW who has had more title defenses than Fedor. Fedor defended the pride title 3 times, no UFC HW other than Stipe has ever had more than 2 title defenses.

Also, Fedor continued winning after PRIDE was defunct - so you could say that at the very least the WAMMA title was the linear title for PRIDE, and he defended that twice (not including when he actually won it as well).

If you want to talk linear defences from when Fedor won the Pride title then no one's gonna touch him, he won it from Nog in '03 and didn't lose for a loooong time.

Stipe didn’t risk as much standing with ((andbeating) Ngannou on the feet and ground?
Ngannou throws with power but he's not a great striker. Fedor went up against a hard-hitting technically gifted prime CroCop. Even if you count those as about equal, on top of that Fedor fought all sorts of huge monsters who could have KO'ed him with a punch.

Ngannou throws with power but he's not a great striker. Fedor went up against a hard-hitting technically gifted prime CroCop. Even if you count those as about equal, on top of that Fedor fought all sorts of huge monsters who could have KO'ed him with a punch.
Watch cro-cop Fedor again. Cro-cop three less than 3 combos. All 1 punch or kicks. Fedor did fight monsters, but they were mostly unskilled strikers. I’ll do more research, but they were all dudes with a punchers chance.

agreed. Stipe is a far more skilled and technically sound striker and also a D1 wrestler who has controlled where all of his fights have taken place and has seemed impervious to submission attempts.

stipe is the more technically sound fighter easily. Easily.
Yeah, except he's not. Sure he's a more fundamentally sound Boxer and a better pure Wrestler but Fedor despite being more unorthodox with his Boxing had better footwork and head movement in his prime as well as better kicks and better awareness/ reactions. Hence him not getting TKOed twice, rocked multiple times and out boxed to a decision in his prime despite engaging in a stand up fight with the most feared technical striker of the time.

Unlike Stipe also had multiple paths to get the fight to the ground, most commonly an inside trip or throw coming at the end of a combination and once you were down you weren't getting back up and had to face arguably the most vicious GnP we've ever seen as well as the constant submission threat, something Stipe doesn't possess.

Sure, Stipe survived the one submission attempt I can recall him being threatened with by an Overeem who inexplicably went for instead of continuing to punch the badly rocked Stipe for the finish but surviving 1 choke attempt hardly qualifies as impervious to submissions.

Speed, power and the well rounded skill set to win wherever the fight goes makes, imo, for the superior MMAist regardless of whether or not his technique is technically sound at all times from a fundamentals standpoint.

After all this is a fight at the end of the day, not a Karate demonstration, being more free flowing instead of rigid and focused on being fundamentally sound at all times is more of an asset than a hindrance.

Yeah, except he's not. Sure he's a more fundamentally sound Boxer and a better pure Wrestler but Fedor despite being more unorthodox with his Boxing had better footwork and head movement in his prime as well as better kicks and better awareness/ reactions. Hence him not getting TKOed twice, rocked multiple times and out boxed to a decision in his prime despite engaging in a stand up fight with the most feared technical striker of the time.

Unlike Stipe also had multiple paths to get the fight to the ground, most commonly an inside trip or throw coming at the end of a combination and once you were down you weren't getting back up and had to face arguably the most vicious GnP we've ever seen as well as the constant submission threat, something Stipe doesn't possess.

Sure, Stipe survived the one submission attempt I can recall him being threatened with by an Overeem who inexplicably went for instead of continuing to punch the badly rocked Stipe for the finish but surviving 1 choke attempt hardly qualifies as impervious to submissions.

Speed, power and the well rounded skill set to win wherever the fight goes makes, imo, for the superior MMAist regardless of whether or not his technique is technically sound at all times from a fundamentals standpoint.

After all this is a fight at the end of the day, not a Karate demonstration, being more free flowing instead of rigid and focused on being fundamentally sound at all times is more of an asset than a hindrance.
Footwork is probably the best part of Stipe’s boxing skill set, which you say is better than fedor’s. Seems shocking to say fedor has better footwork given these facts.

Also JDS is one of the best boxers the division has known, he absolutely owned the guy you called the most feared striker in the division and a lot of people scored that fight for stipe.

Fedor May have good trips and throws, but he’s not getting stipe to the ground and even if he somehow managed to, stipe would simply stand right back up.

I guess, for me, it comes down to stipe controlling where the fight takes place and being the bigger and much more skilled striker.

It’s a fantasy so no real end to this discussion. Agree to disagree I guess.

oh and the impervious to submission comment was also made with rumors and comments from other fighters who trained with stipe in mind, as well as the textbook guillotine defense he displayed while rocked against a notorious guillotine

Top tier Croatian fighting genetics

Nothing like fat Muricans and their pie eating genetics
Where are you from bro?
You do realize that in 99% of americans, our genetics are from somewhere else right?
Are you saying Native Americans eat lots of pie?

Huge Stipe fan here, he is definitely the UFC HW Goat but when it comes to what Fedor did in his prime back when Pride had the best HW division in the world it is nothing short of amazing. He beat the very best in the world and crushed whatever cans were handed to him, it was fun.

Stipe has more wins over William Penn so he’s way better than Fedor

Footwork is probably the best part of Stipe’s boxing skill set, which you say is better than fedor’s. Seems shocking to say fedor has better footwork given these facts.

Also JDS is one of the best boxers the division has known, he absolutely owned the guy you called the most feared striker in the division and a lot of people scored that fight for stipe.

Fedor May have good trips and throws, but he’s not getting stipe to the ground and even if he somehow managed to, stipe would simply stand right back up.

I guess, for me, it comes down to stipe controlling where the fight takes place and being the bigger and much more skilled striker.

It’s a fantasy so no real end to this discussion. Agree to disagree I guess.

oh and the impervious to submission comment was also made with rumors and comments from other fighters who trained with stipe in mind, as well as the textbook guillotine defense he displayed while rocked against a notorious guillotine
Fair enough but I will point out JDS beat Crocop well passed his prime and didn't exactly "own" him since he was fed a steady diet of straight left hands throughout the fight. The Crocop Fedor fought likely wins that fight.

I also said Stipe is the better fundamental Boxer meaning he has a textbook approach in regards to his stance, movement and defence, always keeping his hands up and maintaining proper mechanics, being technically sound from a traditional Boxing standpoint doesn't necessarily mean you're better in every aspect of MMA adapted Boxing though.

Anyways, cheers dude, definitely an agree to disagree situation here, lol.

Prime Stipe just keeps losing against guys he really should beat without too much effort.

We all love Stipe, but he is miles from the all time greats.

I think it's really strange to cite Hunt in your example.

You are saying Fedor beat Mark Hunt in his prime and Stipe did not?

Mark Hunt was way worse during PRIDE, and was over hyped at that time though he put on fun fights. Mark Hunt was green when he fought Fedor, and was not in his prime as a mixed martial artist.

Mark Hunt became a much better mixed martial artist in the UFC. Stipe beat a better version of Mark Hunt than Fedor did. Hunt peaked in the mid 10s not the mid 00s. Mark Hunt did not take MMA seriously when he fought in Japan.

He also did not really deserve a title shot in PRIDE , and his two biggest wins were gifts from the referees.
Dear god...
you could argue Fedor fought Hunt at the end of his prime, but saying that Hunt peaked in the UFC is the dumbest I have ever heard.

Hunt was a well rounded, top striker with a good ground game in his earlier years. The last years he has only been a relatively slow powerpuncher with nothing else. Prime Hunt would kill the Hunt that fought Stipe. Absolutely kill him.

Fedor won 13 straight fights after he won the title in PRIDE. But most of them were like this:

22812.jpg

PRIDE didn't count that as a title defense. He only had 3 title defenses: 1 against Cro Cop, 1 against Nog, and 1 against Hunt. If you include the title when he won it against Nog, that's 4 championship wins.

Stipe has won the the title 2x and defended it 3x. That gives him 5 championships.

Fedor's has a great numerical record but lots of those numbers were like:

20141225070548_ogawa.JPG

Does that mean Stipe > Fedor?
Actually he had 4 defenses. They first was against Ironhead where he got rocked pretty good but finished the fight quickly in Fedor fashion.

Dear god...
you could argue Fedor fought Hunt at the end of his prime, but saying that Hunt peaked in the UFC is the dumbest I have ever heard.

Hunt was a well rounded, top striker with a good ground game in his earlier years. The last years he has only been a relatively slow powerpuncher with nothing else. Prime Hunt would kill the Hunt that fought Stipe. Absolutely kill him.
PRIDE Mark Hunt had a good ground game. Okay, guy - I think those highlights of Mark Hunt trying to put Fedor in a kimura has fudged your memory badly.

Yes, Mark Hunt was much better post Japan.

He was always just a power puncher with a hard chin. He was never a well rounded fighter. That's not a UFC only thing.

He was in his physical prime as a PRIDE fighter - he was faster, that was literally it. He fought more methodically in the UFC, do you think he got wins in the UFC over named opponents by accident? Mark Hunt was getting beat up by middleweights a year or 2 after he fought Fedor and was seen as a can - no one in their right mind thought Mark Hunt was a can by the time he fought Stipe.

Try telling Chiek Kongo, Roy Nelson, Ben Rothwell, Frank Mir, Antonio Silva and Derrik Lewis that Mark Hunt was not in his prime.

Mark Hunt had competitive fights with Crocop who he matches well with stylistically but for all intents and purposes was expected to be fed to Crocop - and he got a fortunate decision against Wanderlei Silva who he outweighted by 80 pounds (Mark didn't even think he deserved to beat Wanderlei). Silva also fought him on like a 2 days notice, and matched up with him on the feet even worse than Crocop did. Mark Hunt was marketed hard by PRIDE as a legit threat, the guy was a kickboxer who literally just jumped over to MMA for shits and giggles - and he wasn't even like the goat kickboxer or something, he was probably the weakest K1 grandprix winner in history.

But seriously, Mark Hunt had a good ground game in Japan? Come on now, I think you're exaggerating or your standards for good are really low. Mark Hunt was overrated in Japan and underrated in USA - and yes he was slow and plodding in the UFC, but his fight IQ, knowledge of other martial arts and timing were better.

Mark Hunt had 2 years of MMA experience when he fought Fedor. Of course that was not his prime. He got beat via Americana the very next fight against Alistair Overeem - by Americana, do you know how hard it is to get Americana'd in high level MMA? If you got Mark Hunt on top of Mark Hunt on the ground he was incredibly easy to submit, he was probably not even blue belt level in Jiu Jitsu during his PRIDE run.

Last edited:
Stipe is better than Fedor, who throws sloppy haymakers/overhands and has mediocre wrestling and relied on Judo throws against awful opponents and has a bottom game that goes as far as explosive scrambles or hail mary armbars.

I’d take taller, greater reach national Golden Gloves quarter finalist + NCAA D1 wrestler Stipe over some overrated fat ass that used to be good in a time that MMA was barely developed/a C tier sport.
Whatever. Everyone knows you're Mirsad Bektic.

Back