Stipe has more title defenses than Fedor

Stipe didn’t starch Werdum moving backwards? In the 1st round while Werdum was champ?

What do we mean by starched? I take as that Werdum didn't do well in the UFC - which is pretty crazy for me to hear, Werdum had a good UFC career.

If we are asking if Werdum has ever gotten his ass kicked in his entire career, then yes, he has. Everyone who has had a lot of fights in the UFC has except for Jon Jones.

Nogueria was really old when he got his arm broken by Frank Mir - and in their first fight he was ill from a staph infection. I mean Nogueria did not win the UFC title by accident.

Werdum did not get starched in the UFC. He became the UFC hw champ.

In his first run in the UFC his reputation took a hit because he lost to someone who wasn't that famous yet - Junir Dos Santos.
Nice post. Don't forget he became the UFC champ by dominating the guy considered to be the UFC HW GOAT based on him beating Brock for the title then going 4-1 against the same 2 guys over the next 4 or 5 years ending his career with 4 top 10 names on his resume.

Nice post. Don't forget he became the UFC champ by dominating the guy considered to be the UFC HW GOAT based on him beating Brock for the title then going 4-1 against the same 2 guys over the next 4 or 5 years ending his career with 4 top 10 names on his resume.
Werdum beat the “UFC HW GOAT” then Stipe sends him asleep before he hits the canvass in Rd 1. That was a pretty big statement.

What do we mean by starched? I take as that Werdum didn't do well in the UFC - which is pretty crazy for me to hear, Werdum had a good UFC career.

If we are asking if Werdum has ever gotten his ass kicked in his entire career, then yes, he has. Everyone who has had a lot of fights in the UFC has except for Jon Jones.
Stipe. Round 1. Startched werdum. Don’t know what else to say.

Fedor won 13 straight fights after he won the title in PRIDE. But most of them were like this:

22812.jpg

PRIDE didn't count that as a title defense. He only had 3 title defenses: 1 against Cro Cop, 1 against Nog, and 1 against Hunt. If you include the title when he won it against Nog, that's 4 championship wins.

Stipe has won the the title 2x and defended it 3x. That gives him 5 championships.

Fedor's has a great numerical record but lots of those numbers were like:

20141225070548_ogawa.JPG

Does that mean Stipe > Fedor?
Wow. Stipe. ktfo by struve and dc. lost a decision to jds who cain demolished. A fortunate champ good but not great.
edit. only beat retirement dc due to dc's old age.

I agree that guy is crazy to say that Fedor was laying in Nogueria's guard. He was bouncing Nogueria's head off the mat over and over again - those fights took time off of Nougeria's career.

Nogueria did well in the UFC, and if Crocop had stayed in his prime he would have as well. In fact the whole idea that PRIDE fighters couldnt cut it in the UFC was greatly exaggerated, the MW, LHW and HW titles were all won by PRIDE guys as soon as they crossed over.

I'm not sure why diversity matters, the method of winning is not really relevant. If anything Fedor fighting Werdum in his guard is exactly why he lost.

Stipe has been put in vulnerable positions, and by better opponents than Fujita and Randleman. Stipe got destroyed by Cormier in round 1 in their last fight, and was losing in general - Stipe changed his gameplan and started going to the body of Cormier and managed to finish him to regain the title. If that isn't overcoming adversity I don't know what is.

Also, Fedor getting in serious trouble against Randleman and beating him with a submission says more about how bad Randleman's submission game was. Fedor literally just grabbed Randleman's arm and got an easy kimura - guys don't have submission defense that bad anymore, Randleman was from a very old era.
Randelman was a talented fighter in his time, extremely explosive athletic and powerful but yeah, I agree DC is far better and Stipes performance in their last fight was impressive but DC allowing himself to get hit by the same combo 10 times in a row doesn't really bode well for DCs fight IQ.

Diversity matters because it shows a complete skill set meaning your opponent can never feel comfortable or safe even if they are in a seemingly dominant position.

You're right about Fedor/ Werdum but that wasn't the same methodical calculated Fedor that destroyed Nog in his guard, that was the brawler get in and get out Fedor that didn't even attempt to establish control and went back to attempting to pummel Werdum by stacking him even after managing to escape the first triangle attempt.

After his Sambo streak was ended he really didn't seem to give a fuck anymore and completely changed his style, who knows what role going from a ring to a cage and from the Russian/ Japanese respectful atmosphere to the North American media circus environment played in his devolution as well.

Werdum beat the “UFC HW GOAT” then Stipe sends him asleep before he hits the canvass in Rd 1. That was a pretty big statement.
It was, Stipe did a great job of KOing a submission expert who was inexplicably charging at his with his hands down and chin up like an idiot.

As you can probably tell from the rest of that post though I was implying Cain being considered a HW GOAT based on his 5-1 record against 3 guys over 5 years is laughable. Stipe definitely has a much better claim to UFC HW GOAT then Cain ever did.

Wow. Stipe. ktfo by struve and dc. lost a decision to jds who cain demolished. A fortunate champ good but not great.
edit. only beat retirement dc due to dc's old age.
DC beat Sripe at 39 so Dc’s age is a moot point. Try again.

Different times

Great for different reasons

Stipe did fight some older fighters

It was, Stipe did a great job of KOing a submission expert who was inexplicably charging at his with his hands down and chin up like an idiot.

As you can probably tell from the rest of that post though I was implying Cain being considered a HW GOAT based on his 5-1 record against 3 guys over 5 years is laughable. Stipe definitely has a much better claim to UFC HW GOAT then Cain ever did.
My man. Agreed.

I'm no Fedor nutthugger, but numbers don't always tell the story. Imo, beating Cro Cop, Nog and Hunt, arguably in their primes, is very fucking impressive, vs beating past prime JDS, Alister, etc.

Quality, not quantity.

I'm no Fedor nutthugger, but numbers don't always tell the story. Imo, beating Cro Cop, Nog and Hunt, arguably in their primes, is very fucking impressive, vs beating past prime JDS, Alister, etc.

Quality, not quantity.
What about quality and quantity? 14 top 10 wins including the 3 you mention versus 7 for Stipe. Fedor wins this argument in both regards.

Quality, not quantity.
I think it's really strange to cite Hunt in your example.

You are saying Fedor beat Mark Hunt in his prime and Stipe did not?

Mark Hunt was way worse during PRIDE, and was over hyped at that time though he put on fun fights. Mark Hunt was green when he fought Fedor, and was not in his prime as a mixed martial artist.

Mark Hunt became a much better mixed martial artist in the UFC. Stipe beat a better version of Mark Hunt than Fedor did. Hunt peaked in the mid 10s not the mid 00s. Mark Hunt did not take MMA seriously when he fought in Japan.

He also did not really deserve a title shot in PRIDE , and his two biggest wins were gifts from the referees.

Has he? Has he ever fought a consensus #1/2 HW in their prime like Fedor did against Nog and Crocop?

Never mind, I forgot about the first JDS fight, I can't seem to recall exactly how that ended ......
DC? not trying to get into this argument, cause i just don't give a fuck, but DC arguably was in his prime, and so was Big Frank?

I dont get your point then? You're saying that because Werdum lost badly to Stipe he got starched in the UFC?
In the UFC, as the champion, Stipe startched him. No hidden message. Not saying Werdum didn’t have success He was world champ. Stipe starched him in UFC. Werdum was a pride guy and come out after strike force and pride but Werdum came to the big leagues and we saw what happened against ufc elite.

DC? not trying to get into this argument, cause i just don't give a fuck, but DC arguably was in his prime, and so was Big Frank?
I already addressed DC in another post and don't disagree.

As for Francis I have a hard time considering him a true elite, take away his god given death touch power and what does he have to fall back on?

Do you think he could out point guys like Overeem/ JDS over 3 to 5 rounds on pure skill? Personally I highly doubt it.

In the UFC, as the champion, Stipe startched him. No hidden message. Not saying Werdum didn’t have success He was world champ. Stipe starched him in UFC. Werdum was a pride guy and come out after strike force and pride but Werdum came to the big leagues and we saw what happened against ufc elite.
He...he won against the UFC elite? You have conflicting points. You're saying because he lost against Stipe that he could not hang with the UFC elites - even though he beat the UFC Champion and other good fighters? That doesn't make any sense.

Next to everyone who has ever held a title has more defences than Fedor. It's just one point of many as to why Fedor isn't in GOAT contention. And to answer your question, yes Stipe > Fedor.

Back