Stipe has more title defenses than Fedor

I'm assuming you're alluding that Cormier is not in his prime? Regardless if he is or not...he's pretty damn beasty and is no worse than Nogueria and Crocop.
No, I'll give you DC, he's a great win and despite his age probably close to prime given his late start.

Believe it or not I've actually been a big fan of Stipe since his first UFC fight and predicted he would be a future champion so it brings me no pleasure speaking of him like this but facts are facts and there has been and will likely only ever be 1 Fedor.

What he accomplished at his size in a division (as Stipe knows all too well) where 1 punch can erase even the surest of thing on paper is unprecedented, as is his speed, power and ability to win no matter where the fight goes.

Yea but you can just as easily say that Stipe hadn't entered his prime yet during that fight. Everyone's different. Fedor lost to Bigfoot and a former MW at around the age Stipe was during the Struve fight.
Not really, Stipe was still in his 20s when he fought Struve and only 10 fights into his career, Fedor was nearing his mid 30s with over 30 career MMA fights and who knows how many combat Sambo fights at the highest level.

You're right everyone enters their prime at different times, (Anderson being a great example) but milage is milage and it always catches up with you eventually.

No, I'll give you DC, he's a great win and despite his age probably close to prime given his late start.

Believe it or not I've actually been a big fan of Stipe since his first UFC fight and predicted he would be a future champion so it brings me no pleasure speaking of him like this but facts are facts and there has been and will likely only ever be 1 Fedor.

What he accomplished at his size in a division (as Stipe knows all too well) where 1 punch can erase even the surest of thing on paper is unprecedented, as is his speed, power and ability to win no matter where the fight goes.

It's great but I don't really get the point of dramatizing sports figures accomplishments. Fedor has a good argument for GOAT hw, so does Stipe, and Cormier was just as good as those two.

Heck, Cormier was undefeated at HW for a minute also, not as long as Fedor but he did fight a lot of named opponents in succession to make up for lost time - plus he is smaller than Fedor.

Actually before Stipe beat Cormier, I had all three HW's around the same level with my gut saying Fedor was the goat.

I think Stipe deserves the nod, he beat a lot of names. I'm not sure if having a long streak automatically means you're the best - Ali took a lot of losses in his prime, but most people have no problems admitting he was the goat heavyweight.

I'm not saying Stipe had the murders row of opponents Ali did, but there is more to ranking athletes than who has the best aura.

Stipe didn’t lose to Struve. He got eyepoked and then slipped after which Struve hit him clean. That’s an NC all day. He also lost to DC because of eyepokes and his split decision against JDS could’ve gone both ways.

Fedor fought in tournaments and was way more active in his prime than Stipe, and most UFC champs for that matter. (Hence fighting a can here and there)

Croatians > Russians

So the answer is Stipe

16530.jpg

Has he? Has he ever fought a consensus #1/2 HW in their prime like Fedor did against Nog and Crocop?

Never mind, I forgot about the first JDS fight, I can't seem to recall exactly how that ended ......
I did some research re-watching these ‘legendary’ fights Fedor had against Big Nog and Cro-cop. Fedor sat in the guard swinging hammers when they let the fights just go on the ground. Wasn’t super impressed and his competition wasn’t impressive either. Cro-cop didn’t throw hardly and combos if at all on the feet and big nog laid on his back. Now they stand them up after eternity in the guard. It’s a different fight game now but so tough to compare apples to apples but Fedor’s legend kinda pales in comparison to Stipe’s stand ups where he can’t just lay and pray. I’m a Fedor fan too but trying to look at the talent as objectively as possible.

his resume is better than fedor but his fans cant accept it idk why

I did some research re-watching these ‘legendary’ fights Fedor had against Big Nog and Cro-cop. Fedor sat in the guard swinging hammers when they let the fights just go on the ground. Wasn’t super impressed and his competition wasn’t impressive either. Cro-cop didn’t throw hardly and combos if at all on the feet and big nog laid on his back. Now they stand them up after eternity in the guard. It’s a different fight game now but so tough to compare apples to apples but Fedor’s legend kinda pales in comparison to Stipe’s stand ups where he can’t just lay and pray. I’m a Fedor fan too but trying to look at the talent as objectively as possible.
You said that Fedor was throwing hammers in Nogs guard - so why would a ref stand them up? No ref is standing up a guy doing that much damage from the guard in the UFC, not a good one at least.

Nogueria was legit - he went to the UFC and won the title and was the de facto champ right away. If Nogueria was in his prime he would be one of the best fighters in the UFC, he beat Werdum in PRIDE.

It's great but I don't really get the point of dramatizing sports figures accomplishments. Fedor has a good argument for GOAT hw, so does Stipe, and Cormier was just as good as those two.

Heck, Cormier was undefeated at HW for a minute also, not as long as Fedor but he did fight a lot of named opponents in succession to make up for lost time - plus he is smaller than Fedor.

Actually before Stipe beat Cormier, I had all three HW's around the same level with my gut saying Fedor was the goat.

I think Stipe deserves the nod, he beat a lot of names. I'm not sure if having a long streak automatically means you're the best - Ali took a lot of losses in his prime, but most people have no problems admitting he was the goat heavyweight.

I'm not saying Stipe had the murders row of opponents Ali did, but there is more to ranking athletes than who has the best aura.
Fair enough and you make a good point but DC isn't really smaller than Fedor. He's an inch shorter but has always competed at HW above Fedor's highest recorded fight weight.

You're right have a long streak isn't the be all end all but in Fedor's case being an undersized HW combined with the fact he was only even made to look the slightest bit vulnerable 3 times in his 10 year reign accumulating 14 top 10 wins (the most important stat of all) nobody else comes close.

Your gut is right and the facts make that feeling indisputable.

You said that Fedor was throwing hammers in Nogs guard - so why would a ref stand them up? No ref is standing up a guy doing that much damage from the guard in the UFC, not a good one at least.

Nogueria was legit - he went to the UFC and won the title and was the de facto champ right away. If Nogueria was in his prime he would be one of the best fighters in the UFC, he beat Werdum in PRIDE.
Just my thoughts after doing some research. Big nog then got his arm broke by Mir in UFC. Werdum got startched in UFC. The prime eras of the different fighters have a lot of crossover and it’s tough to compare. At the end of the day we’re all flapping our gums doing our own MMA math.

Lay and pray? He sat in the guard of the most prolific submission artist from that position at the time and beat the shit out of him, Nog's legendary toughness is the only reason he survived and he completely nullified the most feared striker of the time and beat him at his own game.

Looking at the talent objectively its not even close, Fedor could win the fight standing, on the ground with GnP or by submission whether in a dominant or vulnerable position, Stipe has never proven to have this level of diversity.

Look at the Randelplex, slammed on his head and badly dazed only to win by submission seconds later, the two times we've seen Stipe put in a similar vulnerable position its ended in defeat.

Just my thoughts after doing some research. Big nog then got his arm broke by Mir in UFC. Werdum got startched in UFC. The prime eras of the different fighters have a lot of crossover and it’s tough to compare. At the end of the day we’re all flapping our gums doing our own MMA math.
Nogueria was really old when he got his arm broken by Frank Mir - and in their first fight he was ill from a staph infection. I mean Nogueria did not win the UFC title by accident.

Werdum did not get starched in the UFC. He became the UFC hw champ.

In his first run in the UFC his reputation took a hit because he lost to someone who wasn't that famous yet - Junir Dos Santos.

Nogueria was really old when he got his arm broken by Frank Mir - and in their first fight he was ill from a staph infection. I mean Nogueria did not win the UFC title by accident.

Werdum did not get starched in the UFC. He became the UFC hw champ.

In his first run in the UFC his reputation took a hit because he lost to someone who wasn't that famous yet - Junir Dos Santos.
Stipe didn’t starch Werdum moving backwards? In the 1st round while Werdum was champ?

Lay and pray? He sat in the guard of the most prolific submission artist from that position at the time and beat the shit out of him, Nog's legendary toughness is the only reason he survived and he completely nullified the most feared striker of the time and beat him at his own game.

Looking at the talent objectively its not even close, Fedor could win the fight standing, on the ground with GnP or by submission whether in a dominant or vulnerable position, Stipe has never proven to have this level of diversity.

Look at the Randelplex, slammed on his head and badly dazed only to win by submission seconds later, the two times we've seen Stipe put in a similar vulnerable position its ended in defeat.
I agree that guy is crazy to say that Fedor was laying in Nogueria's guard. He was bouncing Nogueria's head off the mat over and over again - those fights took time off of Nougeria's career.

Nogueria did well in the UFC, and if Crocop had stayed in his prime he would have as well. In fact the whole idea that PRIDE fighters couldnt cut it in the UFC was greatly exaggerated, the MW, LHW and HW titles were all won by PRIDE guys as soon as they crossed over.

I'm not sure why diversity matters, the method of winning is not really relevant. If anything Fedor fighting Werdum in his guard is exactly why he lost.

Stipe has been put in vulnerable positions, and by better opponents than Fujita and Randleman. Stipe got destroyed by Cormier in round 1 in their last fight, and was losing in general - Stipe changed his gameplan and started going to the body of Cormier and managed to finish him to regain the title. If that isn't overcoming adversity I don't know what is.

Also, Fedor getting in serious trouble against Randleman and beating him with a submission says more about how bad Randleman's submission game was. Fedor literally just grabbed Randleman's arm and got an easy kimura - guys don't have submission defense that bad anymore, Randleman was from a very old era.

Back