Stipe being a hypocrite

We all know Stipe isn't the biggest personality in the UFC, but he's a great fighter. And seeing him in some of the embeddeds, he seems like a fun and easy going guy. It took me a while but I became a fan of his.

Not that he cares about it, but now he's losing me as a fan and I'm sure there are other who will feel the same.

His recent comments about him deserving a rematch with Ngannou just rub me the wrong way. After DC beat him to win the title the UFC gave him an immediate rematch. He won the rematch and wasn't very keen of having to fight DC again immediately. In the end he accepted.

After that, it was clear his next fight should have been Ngannou. Stipe was clear that he didn't want to fight Ngannou because he already beat him decisively and he wanted to fight someone new, have a fresh opponent. But since there first fight Francis destroyed 4 tough opponents in less than 3 minutes while Stipe went 2-1 against DC. This already rubbed me the wrong way.

Now after getting murked by Francis, all of a sudden he thinks he deserves a rematch? The guy that complained when his opponents got them? The guy who wanted to fight someone new?

Despite of how I feel about this interim belt, the winner of that will face Francis. Stipe should really stop complaining and fight someone fresh like he wanted to. Make himself relevant again. Sitting by the sidelines, pouting about not getting a rematch will not do him any good. Fans are just gonna forget about him and he's already not that memorable.

As of now he's the guy that went 3-2 for the last three and a half years against two opponents.

1. Instant rematches were a dumb idea from the get-go; it shouldn't matter how "hurr durr dominant he was". You simply don't show favoritism, no one gets rematched = no problems. Even chimps understand favoritism and they don't like it :).
2. It's a stretch, with all due respect, to call for Stipe "to make himself relevant again". I'm sure you didn't mean it in the absolute sense, but if you did, that would be condescending: the fickle Sherdog attitude "oh, he lost one, he's not in the picture anymore". Again, I'm sure this wasn't your intention and I'm nitpicking at semantics.

We all know Stipe isn't the biggest personality in the UFC, but he's a great fighter. And seeing him in some of the embeddeds, he seems like a fun and easy going guy. It took me a while but I became a fan of his.

Not that he cares about it, but now he's losing me as a fan and I'm sure there are other who will feel the same.

His recent comments about him deserving a rematch with Ngannou just rub me the wrong way. After DC beat him to win the title the UFC gave him an immediate rematch. He won the rematch and wasn't very keen of having to fight DC again immediately. In the end he accepted.

After that, it was clear his next fight should have been Ngannou. Stipe was clear that he didn't want to fight Ngannou because he already beat him decisively and he wanted to fight someone new, have a fresh opponent. But since there first fight Francis destroyed 4 tough opponents in less than 3 minutes while Stipe went 2-1 against DC. This already rubbed me the wrong way.

Now after getting murked by Francis, all of a sudden he thinks he deserves a rematch? The guy that complained when his opponents got them? The guy who wanted to fight someone new?

Despite of how I feel about this interim belt, the winner of that will face Francis. Stipe should really stop complaining and fight someone fresh like he wanted to. Make himself relevant again. Sitting by the sidelines, pouting about not getting a rematch will not do him any good. Fans are just gonna forget about him and he's already not that memorable.

As of now he's the guy that went 3-2 for the last three and a half years against two opponents.
didn't DC make him wait? so when he won it back he made DC wait? i remember vaguely some drama

My issue with this is that he complained about giving DC a rematch and complained about giving Francis a rematch, but now expecting to get one himself. Eventhough DC is one of the best ever (and this comes from someone who's really not a fan of him) and Francis definitely deserved the title shot after what he did.

He can complain, fine but when it is go time the guy never shies away.

I think Stipe is one of the best heavyweights, but he should really stop whining and not sit this out. Because if he does he'll regret it and the division and fans will move on without him. Even if he wins one more fight, he'll get the shot after the winner of Gane vs Lewis fights Francis. But him sitting on the sidelines pouting is making it hard for me to stay a fan of him.

I think Stipe isn't a spring chicken, his time is limited he also has a resume behind him. He is at a certain pay, name, bigger stage / fights, etc.. you won't see him climbing back on the undercard or something ridiculous like that vs the pitiful top 15.

The man has one or two years left in him at the top and he should use it on fights that make sense. You really want him wasting his time fighting other then top 3 HWs: Francis, Jones and Gane-if he pans out that is it.. the rest are a waste of time for us and especially him.

People are really overblowing the whole situation whilst also disrespecting one of the HW GOATS.

He had the most title defences in UFC HW history, of course he’s going to think he’s entitled to a trilogy match with a guy he’s 1-1 with.

Maybe. But when DC starched him, why should he have gotten an immediate rematch? And when Francis starched him, why should he get another immediate rematch?

It's an unfortunate part of the UFC machine.

Stipe is just looking out for his best interest. He's pushing 40 with maybe a handful of fights near his peak, so I don't blame him for doing what he's doing but I agree with you as a fan. He doesn't deserve another instant title shot. If he can't or won't fight at least one contender then he should sit on the sidelines.

If there's one thing we can all agree on it's that the UFC values revenue over everything else. Stipe isn't a big drawn, nor is be champion anymore and he's been increasingly more difficult to work with. He honestly might be over rating his value to the UFC

Agreed. He should fight Gane or another contender. He made dc wait a year. I think he's ducking Gane.
He made DC wait a year because DC landed so many illegal eyepokes that Stipe literally needed eye surgery.

If Stipe is so eager to get knocked out again, let him. It just puts Francis 1 title defense closer to surpassing his record.

Battle what? He didn't fight anyone. He decided to sit on the side line and wait. And when he did get it, he was adverse of giving DC another shot after he won.
And why shouldn't he ? He was the one who gave DC a chance at his title, for him it was just another defense. For DC it was a chance to be 2 division champion. You say he didn't battle anything but what do you now about all the negociations he probably had to do to earn his shot (who took place almost one year after the first fight) ? Since the UFC is shitting on him for a long time, I don't blame him at all, especially at his age and after all the war he went through to play it that way.

Last edited:

You can't compare Stipe asking for a rematch after losing to DC to him demanding a 3rd fight with Francis now.
Unlike DC, he beat Francis the first time. Decisively.
Stipe deserves that rematch

He was never the favorite fighter of the bald man, and then He lost in spectacular fashion.
That's the normal trash

Stipe should fight Jones. It's the perfect fight right now and here's why....
Both are going to be sitting on the sidelines while the Ngannou/winner of Lewis/Gane situation takes place. Sure, they can wait for the winner but that could be another year. Probably longer, knowing the history of Heavyweight.
Pit two respective divisional greatests against each other. It's a perfect tune-up fight for Jones, and adds a legendary fighter to his resume. If he loses, well, he was always meant to be at LHW, and it doesn't kill his stock. If Stipe wins he becomes the only man to legit defeat the GOAT, and that puts him in front of the line for a title shot, especially if he does so convincingly. If he loses, it's still a huge payday.
In other words, there's a number of angles here. It will be a super fight, despite neither currently being champion.

He's 1-1 with Ngannou, and he (Stipe) is the UFC hw GOAT (that's not even questionable, it's a fact).

So why wouldn't he feel entitled to have a rematch with Ngannou? He's absolutely entitled to feeling so.

This is a solid post ..

Its a trilogy fight ...and Stipe has outperformed all.prevous champions..

That said ..i wouldnt mind stipe taking one fight before facing ngannou only because of his age and the timeline has shifted due to the interim bullshit... Stipe will be waiting too long career wise for his trilogy fight ..that he would deserve considering they cuz did the conor vs dustin the trilogy we never needed

Stipe has come across as a suck the last few years.. It’s off putting.

Did you just expressed your own preference in regards to a new opponent for Stipe ?
Well I'm just shocked...

tenor.gif

Well I'm sure the TS just saw it.<45>

Considering my point was that merely expressing personal preference doesn't mean much and shouldn't be weighed against a person, I ain't that worried about it. :)

It's kind of like a post I made once where I said I'd rather SEE Stipe vs Jones than Stipe vs Ngannou, but would rather HAVE Stipe vs Ngannou because Ngannou deserved the title shot more. I don't confuse my desires with what ought to be done.

I have 2 responses, TS:

1. Your entire premise seems to be based on this one data point:
After DC beat him to win the title the UFC gave him an immediate rematch. He won the rematch and wasn't very keen of having to fight DC again immediately. In the end he accepted.
Are you sure that's how it went down?

2. Stipe learned the hard way that there is no loyalty in this game, after
a) finding out he the champ was earning less than Overeem the contender, and
b) getting pushed aside at the mere glimpse of a thought of a DC / Lesnar bout​
So he's doing what Dana forces fighters to do; play the game for themselves. Can you really blame him?

I don't think he is a hypocrite. It's not like anyone else has defended the HW belt as many times as Stipe has so he has a reason to feel entitled to a rematch while others don't.

I don't necessarily think he should get an instant rematch but OP is being disingenuous by ignoring that Stipe has many title defenses at HW and other HWs asking for instant rematches didn't.

I hate immediate rematches for titles. The only time I ever want to see it is is there is some sort of controversy involving fouls, or if the fight is ruled a draw. Something like Yan vs Aljo or Frankie vs Maynard. Even if I think a fight was judged wrong; as in the wrong guy won on the score card, I would prefer the fighters fight someone else before just having a rematch. I hate the idea of a promotion just repeating a title fight until they get the result they prefer. I know that wouldn't always be the case, but that's a really slippery slope.

Also, I don't want to watch the same fight over and over. Let the guys get some new experiences in between rematches. That way they can both learn, or maybe even decline in some ways, and the fight can play out differently that the first fight.

But mostly, and I have stated this in other conversations regarding Stipe, having the same title fight twice in a division can stagnate the rest of the division for a year or more. After DC beat Stipe, DC fought Lewis, and then rematches Stipe twice. Stipe sat out and waited for the rematch. There were only 2 different matchups (in 4 fights) between July 2018 and August 2020. Title opportunities don't come along every day as it is, and you have guys fighting to increase their ranking but the to spots are taken and they are only fighting each other so there's no room to grow. If Stipe had fought, say, Curtis Blades (or anyone else in the top 15 he hadn't fought yet) in that time. Even if Stipe had beat him, Blades wouldn't have those 2 losses to Francis and therefor could be a viable title contender now. But as it stands, it's hard to see him ever challenging Francis even if he's on a run. If Blades had won, his ranking would have increased and he could have challenged DC for the belt. Stipe literally took away opportunities from other guys in the top 10 by sitting out for over a year after his loss to DC because the only fight he would accept was a rematch.

You are not saying the full picture though.

Stipe gave DC a title shot that he did not have to.
DC won, and did not offer an immediate rematch to Stipe.
So Stipe did the same to DC.
These are all mental games that are played, and Stipe merely did to DC what DC did to him.

Then came this Francis.
Since 2017, Stipe was stuck fighting Francis then DC. He wanted to fight someone new.
I can understand his point.
Look at Cain, and how he is criticized for fighting BFS and Junior over and over while champion... so why repeat the same mistakes?

As for sitting and waiting, I point out to you the cases of Masvidal & Colby. Both lost, sat down and waited and they both got a title shot for waiting.
That is on the UFC for allowing and repeating this mistake!!

Stipe hasn't fought anyone not named DC or Ngannou for 4 years.

He's 1-1 with Ngannou, and he (Stipe) is the UFC hw GOAT (that's not even questionable, it's a fact).

So why wouldn't he feel entitled to have a rematch with Ngannou? He's absolutely entitled to feeling so.

He's coming off a loss and been KOd 2 of his last 4. If he hadn't already been handed one instant rematch id say sure but there's more active guys who deserve a shot.

Back