Stinger Brand Gear Review

microphonic

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Since there are no reviews on the forum for this brand, and that it is one of the most affordable brand around (especially here in Canada) I thought I would share my experience with their gear.

16oz Boxing Gloves

These are the black gloves with the yellow thumb. They are on the smaller side of 16oz gloves so I would view that as a plus. They have a very similar size profile to 12oz Twins BGVL-3. The strap seems to be of good quality and is decently long offering decent wrist support. The wrist support has been great during sparring, and they are fine for hitting the heavy bag, although they obviously won't be as good as a good bag glove.

They are advertised as suitable for muay thai training, and I think that is fair given the size and the movement is adequate for clinch work, however the palm will not open all the way, so that might be a concern for some. There is a grip bar, and you can make a decent fist in them, but closing your hand takes a little bit of effort especially at first.

The fake leather seems to be decently thick and of good quality, although its obviously not going to fool anyone for the real thing. The padding on these is adequate, seems to be a dual layer over the knuckles and a single layer over the back of the hand. The first layer, the one over the back of the and which also seems to be the inside layer over the knuckles, is rather soft and does a good job at absorbing impact and keeping the hands pain free, at the expense of snap while hitting the bag. The outer layer how ever seems to be a little harder. I would say these gloves are a bit on the hard side overall, compared to twins, my dad's rival pro sparrings, and my training partner's Reevo RXR. It's not so bad that you can't spar, but its a bit stiff on the nose, and it causes a bit of redness. I don't see how one could bottom out using these gloves. The fit is rather snug, but will accommodate long hands. The glove might be too tight for fighters with particularly thick hands with wraps.

My biggest problem with the gloves is the craftsmanship. The stitching is fine, but the left glove's thumb is much tighter at the seem, caucusing for some discomfort. Its not cutting off my circulation and it's a little better once broken in, but its still noticeable and annoying.

Verdict: I would recommend for causal use or as a backup. But there is definitely better out there. For the price though, i think it's a decent and versitle glove

Headgear

I'm rather fond of this headgear particularly for the price, but I haven't had very thorough experience with very many other ones. The closure system is quite nice and accommodating and offers me and my slightly small head a very good fit. It took me a while to get the proper way to tie it for my head and at first I was having vision and breathing issues, but those were greatly alleviated when I figured it out. The headgear doesn't shift on my head when properly tied even when grappling (although I haven't really used it too much for that).

It is a full face design, so don't expect to have 100% vision, but it is rather good when worn properly and it doesn't prevent you from seeing kicks coming. I still like open face ones of vision, but the chin protection is nice for hard sparring.

The inside suede-like lining is very comfortable and does exactly what it's advertised to do. The padding on it is a bit thin and is decently hard. I feel protected when I wear it, but shots still feel stiff upon receiving them. Though I have not tried this headgear, i feel like it would be a similar type of protection that the Twins Special full face headgear provides.

Verdict: I recommend this headgear, given that it seems to be the most full featured MMA centric headgear at this price range, and from how satisfied I was with the product myself.

MMA Gloves

This glove is a nice training type MMA glove. It has 2 inches of very soft padding over the knuckles, and a lightly padded thumb. The soft padding is nice for light sparring, but obviously you can bottom out with these if you go all out. They fit my larger-ish hands rather well and offer acceptable wrist support, although it's not as good as the one you'll find on glove with a double wrap closure. The finger hoops are a bit hard to get on properly, since the edges tend to roll in, but they are comfortable once on properly. The fake leather on these is soft, but seems thinner than the one on the 16oz gloves.

Verdict: This product is exactly what is seems to be, and if you are interested, I recommend you go for it, given the price. Obviously, you're going to be better off in the long run with a leather glove.

To quote various people who are regulars on this forum, "Pics, or this shit is internet myth!"

I'll do my best to upload pictures this week! Sorry about that. I hope you still enjoyed the review.

Last edited:
Back