Still not sure if im happy for Blaydes or sad for Junior

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Itd be nice if Blaydes' striking finally turned a corner and he became a complete fighter but man, im so bummed that he out boxed JDS.

What was Junior doing in there?...its like he was fixated on landing that lead uppercut and had nothing else to offer.

I'm sad for the state of the HW division to be honest. That fight was whack.

Doesn't help that JDS might be one of the p4p nicest guys in MMA.

Too worried about the take down to properly defend himself, striking wise, and it made him too hesitant to pull the trigger offensively, IMO.

I've always been a huge JDS fan. But since his wars with Cain he's never been the same. I never call for a fighter to retire, but it kind of hurts watching someone who was so dominant get wrecked repeatedly. He just doesn't seem to be in it like he used to be.

His set ups are gone. He was just going for power uppercuts. Where were the rest of his strikes?

Also he has some of the best TDD in the division and a BJJ black but focuses way too much on trying to avoid the takedown when he should be focused on defending strikes. It's crazy that after all this time his camp hasnt trained that out of him.

Blaydes isn't that good. Doesn't have the skills to get excited about as a up-and-comer. JDS is just gone at this point. Good name win, that's about it.

Not much to be sad about Junior really... Time gets everybody.

jkpmrZL.gif

His time has come. We cant do much about it. Im just happy ive got to see him while he was at the peak of his career.

Im not calling for retirement, but i think the ship has sailed hard on him.

Blaydes isn't that good. Doesn't have the skills to get excited about as a up-and-comer. JDS is just gone at this point. Good name win, that's about it.
He isn't that bad either, especially for the heavyweight division. He's not an easy guy to beat and has some decent names on his resume'

Junior did not "look" strong or particularly fit compared to the past.

Same weight... Much different "shape" ?

I liked both guys and was sad to see Dos Santos perform so weakly.

Ruben has been improving noticeably each time out... dude is legit top shelf in the current mix.

Yeah, any heavyweight with good enough wrestling to frighten strikers isnt terrible.

His hands are getting better.

Is it that hard to imagine him champion when Stipe retires?

JDS has been a gatekeeper for awhile. It’s not a bad thing. I’m happy to see Blades getting to that next level. He’s still super young for a HW. I wouldn’t give him a title shot yet though, I’d like to see him fight DC first.

Not much to be sad about Junior really... Time gets everybody.

jkpmrZL.gif

His time has come. We cant do much about it. Im just happy ive got to see him while he was at the peak of his career.

Im not calling for retirement, but i think the ship has sailed hard on him.

I'll always remember turning on ESPN and watching JDS knock out Cain Velasquez live on cable television. Kind of crazy to think about that they gave us such a good card on free tv, but for obvious reasons (to lube up ESPN).

Agreed, he's been washed for awhile now...is what it is. And I also totally agree with another poster, HW is just so washed. I guess it's really always kind of been like that though if you think about it, simply always the least technical, always had the worst athletes, cardio problems for most guys, etc.

Most of the good to elite HW sized athletes are playing football (or basketball) that's why. Some are even playing other sports like baseball, rugby, whatever else. Boxing of course too. I guess HW isn't too bad compared to historically...but yeah it's just always been bad overall. Hey still not even close to how terrible Women's straw-weight is or probably Men's flyweight (or any women's division you could say.)

Edit: Wait was it Foxsports1 lmao...wow that just shows how forgettable that foxsports run was, so yeah pretty sure Foxsports not ESPN oops.

You could have both...

Sad for JDS....and Happy for Blades....lol

Jokes aside.....I'm glad we could see new fighters coming up.....I don't think we will like to see the same fights with the same contenders all over again

He isn't that bad either, especially for the heavyweight division. He's not an easy guy to beat and has some decent names on his resume'

He's not a bad fighter. But if you look at his skills his wrestling doesn't stand out and his striking is basic boxing. He's a young, good wrestleboxer. He's not like Cain or JDS coming up where one puts up a crazy pace for a HW and the other is fast with some of the best boxing at HW seen to date. Or Ngannou with the speed, power and strength. Blaydes is mundane.

source.gif

I feel bad for JDS but it's also good to see Blaydes do well. Hopefully he keeps improving.

Junior did not "look" strong or particularly fit compared to the past.

Same weight... Much different "shape" ?

I liked both guys and was sad to see Dos Santos perform so weakly.

Ruben has been improving noticeably each time out... dude is legit top shelf in the current mix.

junior-dos-santos1.jpg

You sure about that? He was definitely in shape and looked strong early on in his UFC career. He was a killer prior to fighting Cain, which he KO'd him (despite Cain's allegedly torn up knee) but then got dominated in the rematch, was never the same after fighting Cain the 2nd and 3rd time.

In the first fight on fox (I bolded it cause I said ESPN earlier) JDS weighed in at 239 vs Cain at 249.

Yeah JDS wasn't huge, he wasn't a cutting to 265 monster like Lesnar or Ubereem...but he was a very lean and strong 240 imo, while Cain was clearly a pudgy 250 in that fight at least, pretty sure he weighed in less in other fights around 240s...while still not lean.

Basically my point was JDS coming up as a HW prospect/contender in his prime was a monster who was murdering people with his power...so I don't think it's accurate to say he wasn't strong, and he definiely "looked" strong too.

Edit: you said compared to the past, my bad. Guess I'm just a retard today...don't mind me just flew in last night.

I'm sad for the state of the HW division to be honest. That fight was whack.

Doesn't help that JDS might be one of the p4p nicest guys in MMA.
JDS has always been a phony excuse maker and fake nice guy

Plus he failed a USADA test and is a juicehead

Blaydes isn't that good? Any objective person can see that Blaydes is probably the most talented up and comer in the HW division. Wrestles with the speed of a WW, and now appears to have upped his boxing game.

You're not being objective though, you seem to have some deep seated issue against him.

Back