Still Not On the Izzy Wagon Yet

datfnguy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
As much as I don't think Izzy is WAY overrated I do think he is being oversold. People are so desperate for someone to be the new face of the UFC now that Conor is sitting at home and doing his best Jones impression, Jones is well he's Jones, Khabib is the real deal, but the UFC can't control him, DC got destroyed by some unknown HW and Johnny Walker is still a long way from winning the LHW belt.
I think we still have to keep in mind that Izzy can be clinched and has no wrestling or grappling game and eventually that will start to hurt him. I honestly believe Usman and Covington can beat him badly.

<seedat>Get on it

61yiDfKmiHL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:
As much as I don't think Izzy is WAY overrated I do think he is being oversold. People are so desperate for someone to be the new face of the UFC now that Conor is sitting at home and doing his best Jones impression, Jones is well he's Jones, Khabib is the real deal, but the UFC can't control him, DC got destroyed by some unknown HW and Johnny Walker is still a long way from winning the LHW belt.
I think we still have to keep in mind that Izzy can be clinched and has no wrestling or grappling game and eventually that will start to hurt him. I honestly believe Usman and Covington can beat him badly.
Izzy won his last fight therefore he is the GOAT and would slay prime Fedor with both hands behind his back. Didnt you hear?

has no wrestling or grappling game
???

What makes you say that?
His TDD is literally one of his best traits now and when we saw him on his back, his guard was active, and nearly subbed Kelvin in the fifth?

what is the goal of threads like this? Sit back and enjoy the ride...he's fun to watch and very skilled, we dont need to quantify "how good" he will be, we haven't seen it yet. Which is why we watch.

I've tried to brush him off but he keeps proving me wrong...

After last Saturday, i have no choice but to now route for him.

It sucks. It's not the course of action that i intended to take...but i can't help but have respect.

Showed heart vs Gastelum then comes into the champs house and knocks the shit out of him immediately in round 1 or 2....can't hate that

Neither Usman nor Covington will be able to do much with their takedowns against a fighter who (a weight class above) has the 2nd best takedown defense ever in that division.

He's also got the 2nd best significant strike defense amongst all middleweights who fought in the UFC.

I think we still have to keep in mind that Izzy can be clinched and has no wrestling or grappling game and

He's already proven that to be false in his UFC fights.

Why aren't you a fan again?

Final minutes of a 5 round fight and Israel can still pull of subs from his back. He hasn't been held down since the Marvin fight

ScrawnyBiodegradableJavalina-size_restricted.gif

everybody's looking for the next "Conor". it's always like that, everyone's looking for the next version of yesterdays' news.
which is why everyone in mma media is getting hyped calling Izzy an established superstar and the face of UFC already.
it could absolutely end up being true, but it's too early to say.

I thought both Whittaker and Adesanya looked unimpressive in their fight; I think the Middleweight division as a whole is very weak right now.

Neither Usman nor Covington will be able to do much with their takedowns against a fighter who (a weight class above) has the 2nd best takedown defense ever in that division.
Tyron Woodley had one of the "highest takedown defense" rates in the UFC.

Overall stats often times don't mean anything at all because they can be padded with the right style of opponents.

Since it's apparently not enough to put on a great performance and win against Gastelum, then go on to finish the (then) middleweight champion Robert Whittaker inside two rounds, who was unbeaten at middleweight before that, while doing all that not even 2 years after making his debut inside the UFC, how about the following stats:
  • 2nd most knockdowns amongst active middleweights (only 7 fights in the UFC)
  • 8th most significant strikes landed amongst active middleweights while everyone ranked above him has 11-24 fights (15 fights on average, which is more than twice as much as Adesanya has.)
  • Best significant strike defense amongst active middleweights, 2nd best amongst all time UFC middleweights.
  • 4th highest strike differential amongst active middleweights, ranking only behind Hermansson, Rockhold and Thiago Santos.
Not saying he's unbeatable (no fighter is anyway) but Israel Adesanya has shown that he's great fighter (who's also super exciting to watch) and most likely the best striker in MMA right now.
Don't know what else has to happen to make some of you realize how good he is.

Why does someone have to be a perfect fighter before some people accept them as legit?

How 'bout just the fact that Izzy's the MW champ of the world, and he's really good. Will someone beat him eventually? Probably. But he's obviously one of the very best MW's in the world right now.

I will never route for a douche fighter who is arrogant and cocky just because he wins he is still a douche.

I thought both Whittaker and Adesanya looked unimpressive in their fight; I think the Middleweight division as a whole is very weak right now.

Tyron Woodley had one of the "highest takedown defense" rates in the UFC.

Overall stats often times don't mean anything at all because they can be padded with the right style of opponents.

Fair enough, however being only taken down 7 times in 7 fights, with 5 of these takedowns coming from the first two fights is very good. Especially since in his fights against the arguably best wrestlers he's faced, he defended 8 out of 9 takedowns against Gastelum, and all 7 takedowns from Brunson.

Regarding Woodley: (whose takedown defense is still the best amongst all welterweights inside the UFC) he's in a division which is (way) more wrestling heavy than middleweight and was still only taken down 2 times by Usman and 1 time by MacDonald.

Anyways, time will tell if Adesanya is as good as he seems. I'm confident though that he's that good. Cheers.

Way over sold, still not impressed with Izzy and I think Romero Costa and a few others can beat him.

Back