Still not getting the Goldberg Firing..

it's almost always this. unless he hit on some bigwig's wife or something. yeah sure he liked his substances on the side, but... so does rogan lol.
TS came back with "no way man, there must be a reason they didn't send him out with a parade. and now that we've established that as a fact, i'm just wondering what that reason is" (insert eye roll here)

I think the tens of millions of dollars UFC made off guys like Liddell and Hughes more than covers their salaries for what was basically a pension fund. We wouldn’t have had Liddell/Ortiz 3 or Hughes’ suicide attempt if they still had their promised jobs-for-life
If Liddell and Hughes felt like they were being underpaid whilst champions, then the onus was on them to have used their leverage as champions to negotiate a better deal.

There's this thing called personal responsibility, it's a concept that's foreign to a lot of people (especially on Sherdog), but if for example a fighter didn't manage their money well, they can't then blame their former employer for their own bad decisions. Both Liddell and Hughes were multi-millionaires by the time the UFC fired them from their cushy jobs, so if they needed to fight past their prime or resort to suicide because they were broke, that's because they wasted their money, not because the UFC fired them from their do-nothing jobs.

And it's funny how you're conveniently not addressing the fact that Forrest Griffin wasn't fired.

And it's funny how you're conveniently not addressing the fact that Forrest Griffin wasn't fired.

Because he could play the corporate lapdog that WME wanted.

And it's hysterical when people act like all fighters have to do is ask nicely and they'll get big raises. ESPECIALLY back in Chuck's and Matt's prime when champions weren't even making six-figures to defend the belt.

He was terrible, and a massive cokehead. He was starting to become a liability.

Really? I didn't know about the coke (I thought there was an Adderall story with him...or was that someone else?)

Regardless, I agree he was terrible and was not upset to see him go...I just wish they sent Buffer packing with him lol

He probably stole Dana's coke when they wouldn't fill his Adderall script 3 weeks early.

Because he could play the corporate lapdog that WME wanted.
Griffin justified his salary by contributing to the company; he talked about forcing himself into meetings so that he could learn.

And it's hysterical when people act like all fighters have to do is ask nicely and they'll get big raises.
It's hysterical when people act like someone said something they didn't; me suggesting that Liddell and Hughes should've used their leverage to negotiate better deals is not the same as suggesting that they simply "ask nicely". I understand that your argument is falling apart, but that doesn't mean you should blatantly misconstrue my words in an attempt to move the goalpost and try to win that new and imaginary discussion.

ESPECIALLY back in Chuck's and Matt's prime when champions weren't even making six-figures to defend the belt.
When Liddell and Hughes were champions, which is precisely when I said that they should've used that leverage to negotiate better deals, they were both making six figures (not including the money they got from PPV).

Couture (as a non-champion) made nearly $1 million just to come back and fight Sylvia, and there's legal paperwork to prove it.

And when Dana got into a pissing match with ODLH, he actually disclosed a lot of Liddell's pay (which was in the millions for each fight):
https://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-oscar-de-la-hoya-reveals-chuck-liddell-tito-ortiz-ufc-pay

You can post all the numbers and news articles you want, but they were promised jobs for life and WME broke that because they're cheap corporate bastards who don't care about MMA legends.

You can post all the numbers and news articles you want, but they were promised jobs for life and WME broke that because they're cheap corporate bastards who don't care about MMA legends.
After Anderson v Maia, Dana promised he'd pay us fans back with something extra special.

Do you also blame WME for not coming through on that promise?

lol

If the F brothers put a stipulation into the purchase of the company that they had to keep 3-8 employees for life, I'm actually really curious how much lower the bids would have been.

Do you also blame WME for not coming through on that promise?

Yes. On one hand I don't blame them for penny-pinching, but this company had to take out a loan to cover their interest payments so they're obviously not good with money anyway (not to mention the leveraged buyout in the first place <Lmaoo>).

Goldberg got fired because he isn't good at being a play by play man. He was okay in his earlier years, like pre and early Zuffa but I suspect substance abuse or a lack of passion made his work worse. What surprises me is that it took WME coming in to get rid of him. Then Bellator hiring him? What a mistake. Their commentary hasn't been the same since. He was and is clearly a worse option then every current PBP man in the top like.. 10 promotions. Not to mention god only knows how many aspiring broadcasters who are dying for a quarter of the success.

I empathize with him as an individual because he seems like a nice guy but from a critical perspective he's just so bad. Remember when he got the job calling NFL football but got yanked after a single game? Guys, he sucks. I'm sorry but that's the bottom line.

Literally everyone on forums.sherdog.com hated his guts and wanted him fired until... he got fired then everyone took his side against the UFC.

Like I posted before, the PPVs and tickets those two sold more than paid for their fluff jobs. I don't see the harm, but I'm not a corporate shill so

I don't have to be a corporate shill to recognize that companies don't just gift hundreds of thousands of dollars to ex employees. Especially not when the owners bought the company 10 years after the person even did anything there.

Chuck got PAID. Maybe not compared to the stars of today but he's a multimillionaire. He doesn't need handouts and WME doesn't owe him anything.

Yes. On one hand I don't blame them for penny-pinching, but this company had to take out a loan to cover their interest payments so they're obviously not good with money anyway (not to mention the leveraged buyout in the first place <Lmaoo>).

They are obviously better with money than you since you think them committing millions to pay retired UFC fighters is a good idea.

Back