1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Still not getting the Goldberg Firing..

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by rstringer, Sep 24, 2021.

1. rstringer Blue Belt

I am still not getting why no-one even has a clue as to why Goldberg was fired so suddenly and without any real explanation. Usually the real reason always leaks. I mean did he badmouth Dana or voice any opinion that fighter pay was shit?

At least with Stich there was a reason that came out but after all this time , nothing, no leaks, nothing from Rogan , nothing from Dana, no theories.

It cannot be that the guy is a big moron talking a bunch of nonsense without any understanding of the fight game, he was like this for the past two decades and it wasn't a problem why all of a sudden?

Anyway, if anyone has any new theories , would like to hear those but it still really irks me not knowing the real reason.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Kenny Powerth, vivi, Robocok and 4 others like this.
  2. Only Here for Attachments Bacon Lettuce and Mayo

WME is cheap and doesn’t respect UFC longtimers. See Chick Liddell and Matt Hughes

3. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Banned Banned

Pretty sure it was money, pure and simple.

Didn't WME cut like 20% of UFC staff after the sale? He was merely the most public, saving millions of dollars per year, effective immediately?

Maybe if he had made half as much, he wouldn't have got RIF'd.

4. Carrotman23 Of Rivia

The UFC has literally never had a problem with throwing someone away like trash after they've outlived their usefulness, especially if they aren't personally close to Dana White . That's it that's the reason .

5. rstringer Blue Belt

but those guys were retired plus Dana gave liddel a job but he wasn't doing dick all which is something Dana even voiced in one of the pressers.

skylolow likes this.
  6. Ares Black Titanium Belt

He was terrible, and a massive cokehead. He was starting to become a liability.

Moin, J0N0, true_fan and 9 others like this.
  7. rstringer Blue Belt

I don't buy that, if it was just money , he could have given him proper send off. Not just act like the guy never existed...

8. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Because Dana's an idiot. He also wanted the guy that doesn't know who Saku is.

9. rstringer Blue Belt

how was he becoming more of a liability than in the past? It seemed to me he was consistently fucking up since he started . And again why not a proper send off? why not a thank you?

10. GueseGuy Yellow Card Yellow Card

He made too much money

Frank McEdgar likes this.
  11. ryun253 Black Belt

Probably his adderall addiction or something

12. rstringer Blue Belt

such as?

ultra321 likes this.
  13. Marko Polo In Klopp We Trust Platinum Member

Ufc wanted a more professional feel to it’s broadcasts as Dana was trying to compete/overtake boxing

dmwalking and RedViper44 like this.
  14. acannxr Red Belt

If they had actually regularly gone into the office and brought value to the company then they could've kept their jobs much like Forrest Griffin did.

Instead, they both had been earning six figures to do absolutely nothing (for years) and only went into the office when they were in town.

I have zero sympathy for Liddell and Hughes.

15. ninja boot Brown Belt

he was an employee and while i enjoyed his goofy commentary i guess Dana didn't. easy as that.

16. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

MMA is a sport that many people would like to be involved in professionally in some capacity. There’s absolutely a massive amount of media members, announcers, commentators….There’s way too many qualified people who’d love to sit cage side with the best seat in the house for ufc events and get paid. It’s not a position I picture MOST people being able to negotiate on. You’d really have to bring something to the table the ufc can’t imagine getting form the next 100 guys in line

17. Only Here for Attachments Bacon Lettuce and Mayo

I think the tens of millions of dollars UFC made off guys like Liddell and Hughes more than covers their salaries for what was basically a pension fund. We wouldn’t have had Liddell/Ortiz 3 or Hughes’ suicide attempt if they still had their promised jobs-for-life

18. dipstickjimmy Red Belt

Going off the top of my head but wasn't his contract up and they choose not to renew???
    It wasn't a firing for doing something wrong.

DizzyYeahYeah likes this.
  19. deman Green Belt

Because he was a drug addict. I recall Dana White doing a backstage interview one time & some screaming started up in the background. Dana said; "WTF was that. I've just seen Goldberg running down the hallway naked". lmao.

20. Grow Hogan Orange Belt

I think it was the "his precision is really precise Joe" comment. Rogan would of likely been gone too if he didnt have such a huge following​

Haj01 likes this.