stigma of being a big guy

for any of the big guys in here (I'm 6'3 258) who do any training, I have a question. Does it ever seem like you're expected to be as fast and have the same endurance level as the smaller guys, but they're given a pass on strength because they're smaller than you? Don't get me wrong, my goal is to be as fast as them, and I'm really not all that far behind, but it seems like a double standard at times.

Damn i thought that you where going to say the "stigma" of everyone only thinks that you win because you are bigger and stronger!

My experience (in relation to your question) is no. I find that teachers/coaches expect you to preform and push yourself, but to be as fast as people in the LW, and FW divisions (or even WW) not really. Again, being a bigger guy is not an excuse to go really slow...but it is understandable if you are not as fast as the small guys

Damn i thought that you where going to say the "stigma" of everyone only thinks that you win because you are bigger and stronger!

My experience (in relation to your question) is no. I find that teachers/coaches expect you to preform and push yourself, but to be as fast as people in the LW, and FW divisions (or even WW) not really. Again, being a bigger guy is not an excuse to go really slow...but it is understandable if you are not as fast as the small guys

actually, I've considered the idea that I'm completly projecting the idea which really isn't a bad thing. If I try to be as fast as the little guys, hopefully I'll be faster than the other big guys. At the same time, my instructor would be doing me an injustice if he told me he expects me to be a little slower and have less endurance than the smaller guys.

actually, I've considered the idea that I'm completly projecting the idea which really isn't a bad thing. If I try to be as fast as the little guys, hopefully I'll be faster than the other big guys. At the same time, my instructor would be doing me an injustice if he told me he expects me to be a little slower and have less endurance than the smaller guys.

Good point!

A good coach/instructor should know you well enough to your abilities, and consequently know if you are slacking off, or if you are busting your but!

You make a good point that he should not be encouraging you to slow down (if you start beating the littler guys) but he should not be encouraging you to speed up either...that is, do something that you are simply not capable of...

Like i said he should be pushing you...to push your own limits...
And you should be doing the same!

Anyway...good training to you man!

I'm 6'4" 250lbs (overweight ad working on it - down from 280lbs,) and my goal is never to be the big guy who uses it as an excuse not to work as hard as the rest of the class.

I don't think that's exactly what the TS was asking about, but it's a related phenomena.

I get that alot :(

In like every activity or sport, it makes no difference if its darts or basketball or grappling or whatever...

"I'm soooo sorry genetics made me well equipped for all of lifes challenges that don't involve getting into tight spaces."

I was on the other end of big guy rolling today. I went to a new school and we did postion drilling and during a half guard escape/pass drill mr. muscles (no strip white belt who was still smaller than me) kept starting out with double underhooks and was driving his head into my jaw. So he did well. Lucky I didn't knock hie teeth out with the cookie he earned.

I feel you, im 6 foot 7 and 225lbs, and generally people look at me like a circus freak. Nobody in my gym comes close to my height, so dont get to spar too often, and when i do i get complained at for having heavy hands :(
Also in social situations, people are generally afraid to talk to me or indulge in conversation, one guy actually ran away from me when i tried talking to him, i asked my friend to ask him why, his reply was, "i thought he was trying to mug me"
yeah its tough being big!

I just feel awkward at times outside just hanging out with people. I mean I don't think of myself as all that much bigger than the average guy cause I am at the gym a lot training with other big guys but when I am out in public with my friends that don't train other people just look at me like I am juice head or something cause I am just so much bigger than they are. It's also certainly doesn't help when people make comments either.

don't listen to stupid people. they don't know you, so you should not care what they think. they owe you nothing and you owe them nothing. just be proud of who you are. most people are insecure and they don't like what they don't understand. people will always find something they don't like about an individual that stands out from the crowd.

Also in social situations, people are generally afraid to talk to me or indulge in conversation, one guy actually ran away from me when i tried talking to him, i asked my friend to ask him why, his reply was, "i thought he was trying to mug me"
yeah its tough being big!

Are you serious? That is hilarious.

I don't really have a problem with speed or strength vs smaller guys but endurance is a big issue.

Im 6,3.5 and at 295 pounds, i really want to make an impression in my first MMA fight, fighting as a super heavy weight, its almost like i feel like im 5,8 and 200 pounds with the energy i have , i want to be athletic and have agility but it will take alot more work at my stats to get there, but smaller framed/height people can get there faster!

it sucked for me when i first started training at my school. I had descent kicks from tkd when i was younger but I had terrible hands and no combinations. Anyway the smaller dudes kept trying to take my head off even though i was new and sucked, i have to assume it was bc im tall and wide, but as i learned to use my jab and developed combos they started showing respect. Its just like as a kid if a big guy beats up a small guy even if the small guy had it coming, the big guy is a punk bully but if the small guy smacks you down, hes a hero. all in all I love being big outside of the are you a basketball player questions coming from all directions.

Back