stigma of being a big guy

130 is tiny, but if u offered that and it was either a 170 or a 225 id gladly choose the 225, the 170 is PROBALLY faster and quicker, while they both can knock me out.

Yeah, but the 225 is more likely to cause long term harms :)

If I lost 100lbs right now I'd still be slow and clunky.

Dude I used to be 6'4" 155lbs and I remember all too well being picked last in gym class.

this is funny b/c one minute before reading it I was watching the part in dodge ball where patches is in the video and tells him to always pick the bigger, stronger kids so they can all gang up on the weaker kids. like winston.

I know what you mean... I have been scored on by lighter, faster guys nano-seconds before they get a would-be lights-out hammer to the head. It's nice to be pushed and they give me something to work toward. However, it is nice to know that in a real world situation I would only have to get past a few mosquito bites on my way to his face.

Why dont you then? Everyone always says "yeh but if we were hitting hard I would beat you", give that a try mate. If the guy beats you to the punch and youre not going full speed, its even more likely he'll beat you to the punch if you are going full contact.

Also I spar with big heavy guys and some of them have heavy hands but most dont. If you dont hit hard and youre 200+ lbs youre useless.

yeah it truly sucks for us small guys:icon_cry2

Why dont you then? Everyone always says "yeh but if we were hitting hard I would beat you", give that a try mate. If the guy beats you to the punch and youre not going full speed, its even more likely he'll beat you to the punch if you are going full contact.

Also I spar with big heavy guys and some of them have heavy hands but most dont. If you dont hit hard and youre 200+ lbs youre useless.

Okay, I understand the smaller guy getting offended at the comment thing, but let's all stay civil.

He does have a bit of a point though when he speaks of sparring. A larger guy has strength on his side, just like a smaller guy has speed. During the course of sparring, one person gets to use their advantage while the big guy has to hold back. It can get frustrating. In a fight, the thought of getting hit hard by a large guy with a lot of power is daunting, in sparring you know he won't throw hard so it makes the session unrealistic. You can do what you want without being worried about catching the guy's full strength.

That's my personal pet peeve. Everything else is fine, but hey - there's no way to really fix it.

Big as in overweight/obese, or big as in muscular? Yes it is a double standard at times, but most people generally just expect you to "muscle through."

i dislike being a big guy at Judo, i've jsut started and there are a few my size there so i just end up muscling everyone around

I don't care about all that. I just want you to stay away from my food. You big guys are always trying to eat my grub.

Im 6'2'' weighing in about 219 right now. Not so much as fast but they do seem to expect the same level of endurance. Not that it really matters you wont be fighting in there weight division regardless, and if you did you would kill them :icon_twis

Once again my experience is different because people seem to expect me to have less conditioning. I get this a lot actually and it's not true because right now I think I'm the only guy who conditons other than the fighters who come in now and then for side training.

with what the guy ontop of me posted, about how if he lost 100 pounds he will be just as slow

Actually you disagreed about a bigger guy being more likely to cause long term harm.
I'd much rather someone my size hit me than someone 50 pounds heavier. Of course, it's not always 'the bigger the guy the harder the punch'. But generally speaking, the bigger guy will have a better chance at KO'ing you than the smaller guy would. Bigger surface area on the fist, more weight, etc.

Back