Stevenson vs. Cloud, Chavez Jr. vs. Vera Sept.28

I have to admit, even though I don't like fighters like Vera, I'm hoping he beats Chavez.

Chavez is just too unprofessional for my taste. The kid has all the tools needed to be a great fighter but just doesn't have the discipline to stay in shape. He's just not the fighter we hoped he'd grow into. Its one thing to miss weight by a pound or two. Its another to PLAN on missing weight by 6 or 7 pounds.

Vera is getting the shaft here. I wouldn't blame him if he dropped out of the fight.

According to his father he had a nervous disorder and depression so he had some problems it seems that were more serious than just a lack of discipline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szI-8TYSV7w

Last edited:
For those interested, Adonis' last 8 KOs:

[YT]soox7TU9ujg[/YT]

For those interested, Adonis' last 8 KOs:

[YT]soox7TU9ujg[/YT]

Stevenson's power is world class. The way he is putting guys out like that you'd think he was a heavyweight from the 90s. I am picking him over Cloud all day. The power is just too much. The only thing I am worried about is Stevenson's age and how his chin will hold up.

Yeah Stvenson has peaked very late, he's already 35. Yet he's not "battle-worn" yet, he can still have a couple of great fights. His colleague Jean Pascal is much younger (30) but he's much more battle-worn. His shoulder fails each time he winds big punches and he has lost a lot of speed in the last years.

Adonis doesn't rely on speed as much, his power is enough to win him fights. He will have problems against more technical fighters but as of yet, he hasn't been outpaced that much. His only defeat was a controversial KO and he has not been out-boxed since.

Yeah Stvenson has peaked very late, he's already 35. Yet he's not "battle-worn" yet, he can still have a couple of great fights. His colleague Jean Pascal is much younger (30) but he's much more battle-worn. His shoulder fails each time he winds big punches and he has lost a lot of speed in the last years.

Adonis doesn't rely on speed as much, his power is enough to win him fights. He will have problems against more technical fighters but as of yet, he hasn't been outpaced that much. His only defeat was a controversial KO and he has not been out-boxed since.

He also avenged that loss to Boone so that's always good when a fighter can do that. Stevenson also turned 36 this month so who knows how much more he'll hold up as an elite in the division but so far it's looking good. I think he can beat Cloud but Kovalev will most likely stop him.

Thing I like about Stevenson is how he doesn't neglect the body. Guys who are top punchers like GGG, Matthysse, Adonis all do a good job of mixing it up and that's really important to do instead of getting caught up with headhunting and thinking you can just put any and everybody out cold with a headshot. Don George is no special talent but what really fucked him up was Adonis's body attack. His left hand is lethal anywhere he lands it.

Agree, Ghost, about the age and possible chin issues. We really haven't seen him in much trouble recently, the George fight had some interesting moments early iirc, but it was mostly a one sided beatdown, same goes for him in the rematch with Boone, and the Chad fight literally told us nothing that we didn't already know. Cloud can punch and we'll see how he holds up if he gets tagged clean a few times.

The age is also a ? but I think he still looks good and being a freak athlete doesn't hurt (Have you seen how high dude can jump?). However we've seen how quick age can effect people, look at Sergio. One day he looks like a beast and the next his body's falling apart. You lose a step and you're fucked unless you have great technique, especially defensively. He isn't a guy who's got a lot of wear and tear so that bodes well for him. I think his hand problems could be an issue but overall I think the age is a factor that most likely won't come into play just yet. Could be coming soon, though.

Another thing that I think will come into play here is the fact that Adonis actually has pretty underrated boxing, imo. If Yusef Mack could give Cloud trouble for 8rds or whatever it was before he got stopped, then I think Adonis can do the same for 12. Cloud isn't a guy who's exactly defensively sound or quick to the punch and Adonis can stick and move to a Dec if he doesn't feel like trading with a guy who can punch.

So are we sure what other fights they are showing other then Chavez/Vera and Stevenson/Cloud on this card for HBO?

174,6 for Cloud, 173,8 for Stevenson:

BVL1nD1CEAAT6cq.jpg:large

Top Rank Boxing ‏@trboxing

"Watch the #ChavezVera weigh-in show featuring the beautiful @TRKnockouts TODAY at 6p ET/3p PT via http://spr.ly/6018whrK ."

I'm picking Stevenson by KO. Don't ask me why, I just think Cloud eats one like he hasn't before, and goes out like a sack of potatoes.

FightOpinion ‏@FightOpinion

"If JCC is 11 pounds over Vera's weight at 3 PM weigh-in, California will cancel the fight. If Vera 173, up to 184. @stevemaxboxing "

cloud by ko is +450 so people who thinks he wins should put money down then.

Well? What did JCCJR weigh?

Thanks. However unlikely, I still can't help but hope Vera scalds him.

Man, he looks rough.

And come fight night, he will be two weight classes above Vera.

Back