Steven Spielberg vs. Stanley Kubrick - Who's the better director?

Who's the better director?

• Steven Spielberg

• Stanley Kubrick

Results are only viewable after voting.
one of these guys directed Barry Lyndon & the other did not. plain & simple.

Kubrick doesn’t make the type of movies you just flip on for relaxing time. You can’t just watch them at any point of the movie either, they’re meant to be seen from the beginning

Spielbergs movies have much more re-watchability and touched far more people.

Imo he’s the best of the two

I dunno. Usually I feel that Kubrick mastered one film, and just kept doing that. I prefer Spielberg's overall theme of Family Foibles, particularly Fathers and Sons, over Kubrick's monotonous Civilization on the Brink of Chaos.

I suspect Spielberg doesn't necessarily give a sh*t about the importance of family themes sprinkled across dozens of his films, but he knows it has the widest appeal. So he returns to that well over and over.

I respect writers especially who emphasize how subjective the "family" experience actually is, and how it doesn't always deserve reverence and respect

I dunno. Usually I feel that Kubrick mastered one film, and just kept doing that. I prefer Spielberg's overall theme of Family Foibles, particularly Fathers and Sons, over Kubrick's monotonous Civilization on the Brink of Chaos.
I think you meant to say, “Kubrick mastered multiple genres”

I suspect Spielberg doesn't necessarily give a sh*t about the importance of family themes sprinkled across dozens of his films, but he knows it has the widest appeal. So he returns to that well over and over.

I respect writers especially who emphasize how subjective the "family" experience actually is, and how it doesn't always deserve reverence and respect
I don't mean family-friendly. I mean his difficulty with his own father expressed through film.

In the HBO documentary, Spielberg says the scene where the son gets angry at the father and calls him a baby comes from his own childhood, where his father gave up on his marriage, unbeknownst to Steven at the time that it was his mother who had left the family for his father's best friend.

I think you meant to say, “Kubrick mastered multiple genres”
I think you can stop right there.

I don't mean family-friendly. I mean his difficulty with his own father expressed through film.

In the HBO documentary, Spielberg says the scene where the son gets angry at the father and calls him a baby comes from his own childhood, where his father gave up on his marriage, unbeknownst to Steven at the time that it was his mother who had left the family for his father's best friend.

I think you can stop right there.

I'm saying "bonds of family" even if you won't. It's all over his films.

giphy.gif

What about Senior Spielbergo?

Spielberg is best director of all time easily imo

1. Saving private Ryan
2. Indiana Jones TRILOGY
3. Jaws
4. Jurassic Park
5. Catch me if you can

The apex of Spielberg's powers was Schindler's List. For you to not even list it is criminal.

Schindler's List premiered on November 30, 1993, in Washington, D.C. and it was released on December 15, 1993, in the United States. Often listed among the greatest films ever made,[4][5][6][7] it was also a box office success, earning $322 million worldwide on a $22 million budget. It was the recipient of seven Academy Awards (out of twelve nominations), including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Score, as well as numerous other awards (including seven BAFTAs and three Golden Globes). In 2007, the American Film Institute ranked the film 8th on its list of the 100 best American films of all time. The Library of Congress selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry in 2004.

The apex of Spielberg's powers was Schindler's List. For you to not even list it is criminal.

Schindler's List premiered on November 30, 1993, in Washington, D.C. and it was released on December 15, 1993, in the United States. Often listed among the greatest films ever made,[4][5][6][7] it was also a box office success, earning $322 million worldwide on a $22 million budget. It was the recipient of seven Academy Awards (out of twelve nominations), including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Score, as well as numerous other awards (including seven BAFTAs and three Golden Globes). In 2007, the American Film Institute ranked the film 8th on its list of the 100 best American films of all time. The Library of Congress selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry in 2004.

I put my 5 favorites
I watched it once a long time ago but didnt pay much attention. Need to rewatch one day.

One simply does not rewatch SCHINDLER'S LIST.

giphy.gif

2001 is my favorite movie of all time, but...........Spielberg ez.

SPR+JP>all

both SPR and JP are some of the most timeless, rewatchable movies of all time.

I put my 5 favorites
I watched it once a long time ago but didnt pay much attention. Need to rewatch one day.

American Film Institute ranked it as the 8th greatest movie ever made. The Library of Congress selected it for historical preservation in the National Film Registry. The problem with it is once you see it, nobody wants to revisit it. Its too depressing. Even the Sherdog Movie Club doesn't dip its toes into those waters. As far as muscle flexed though, its Spielberg at the apex of his abilities.

One simply does not rewatch SCHINDLER'S LIST.

giphy.gif

Yea, that's the problem with it. Spielberg made a masterpiece film that is so good, and so depressing, and so hard to watch, nobody wants to double dip that mother fucker.

Both have made amazing movies which I'm happy to re watch!

But I'll have to go with Kubrick die to my 3rd favorite movie Eyes Wide Shut.

Salnley's movies seem to have levels to them which takes a few re watches to pick up on things missed.

Never been into Spielberg much. Minority Report was good. Kubrick isn't one of my favourites either but he was definitely a bit special. Barry Lyndon was amazing

Both have made amazing movies which I'm happy to re watch!

But I'll have to go with Kubrick die to my 3rd favorite movie Eyes Wide Shut.

Salnley's movies seem to have levels to them which takes a few re watches to pick up on things missed.

If conspiracy theorists had a favorite director, it would be Stanley Kubrick. I love his work btw, he may be the greatest director of all time. Many of his films are layered in meaning and symbols. The people that worked with him said his attention to detail was insane. Every little item in every little shot had to be approved by Kubrick. He looked at everything so its really hard to ever say he made a mistake. If you see something in one of his films, its because he wanted you to see it. Eyes Wide Shut is a great example of that.

If conspiracy theorists had a favorite director, it would be Stanley Kubrick. I love his work btw, he may be the greatest director of all time. Many of his films are layered in meaning and symbols. The people that worked with him said his attention to detail was insane. Every little item in every little shot had to be approved by Kubrick. He looked at everything so its really hard to ever say he made a mistake. If you see something in one of his films, its because he wanted you to see it. Eyes Wide Shut is a great example of that.
Thank you. Thats what I'm talking about, there's so much attention to detail and everything having meaning.
Hope it's alright to post this here:

Back