Steven Cantwell?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by joey gerbils, Jan 1, 2015.

1. joey gerbils

joey gerbils Purple Belt

Whats the deal with Steve Cantwell, did he retire? Hasn't fought since 2012 it seems. Is he still on the UFC roster? Former WEC LHW champ

5 decision losses in a row, must be a record. I remember a few of those fights being very close though. Nice little trilogy with Brian Stann

2. rawknob

rawknob Means to an End

yeah, he just couldn't make it past the wec.

3. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

I used to like him until he got all excited and happy that he broke that kid's arm. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

4. toe rag

toe rag Blue Belt

I remember when he snapped that dude's arm and was ecstatic about it. Never won again.

5. TallGHunter

TallGHunter Brown Belt

Haven't seen him since Bonner cracked his head open before the fight in England. Worked out of a great gym run by Nick, but Bonner owned him regularly, hows he going to make it in ufc.

6. Ollie_Williams

Ollie_Williams Green Belt

Came to post this. I believe his words were, "I've been waiting so long to do that, you have no idea." Really? You've always wanted to break another person's arm? What a dick. I guess karma had its way with him after that.

7. JonSnitchPhones

JonSnitchPhones Beastin' 26/9

I don't think the issue was the level being too high for him. He beat Stann, who had a fair amount of success in UFC.

I think the real issue was him taking multiple beatings at a very early age, especially at 205, when he was way too small for that division, and he was never the same afterward. The Diabate size differential was a joke. And he took multiple 30-26/30-25 poundings because of that type of built-in disparity.

Cantwell did have talent. He was gaining notable wins in his late teens to early 20's. He had an impressive skill-set between his technical kickboxing and ground game. Not dissimilar from Rockhold. It was a case of too much too soon, before he really knew who he was or what he was going to be as a fighter. By then it was too late to realize his substantial potential.

He's a similar case as Josh Grispi. Why did he beat Hominick, Micah Miller, L.C. Davis, and Jens from 19-21; then live up to his, at the time, ironic nickname "The Fluke"? Those early beatings, even when you're winning sometimes, can change you drastically in terms of both the mental and physical aspects of the game. Then of course Grispi went on to being a scumbag outside the cage. Cantwell was a scumbag inside of it, being thrilled to finally break someone's arm. CTE can afflict early and is known to make those who experience it change their personalities to become more impulsive and aggressive.

8. Tremblay6

Tremblay6 Orange Belt

What are you talking about?

9. chunglii

chunglii No Me Duele Staff Member Senior Moderator

Wasn't there a thread a while ago that said he had gone missing?

10. stevex42

stevex42 White Belt

He mentioned "gods glory" too. Lol.

11. Linux34

Linux34 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

He always had great, dominant Round 1s then got his ass beat in Rounds 2 and 3.

He won't be missed. A footnote in history. Best luck in his new career though.

12. InternetHero420

InternetHero420 White Belt

Yes, yes there was

13. Cyantist

Cyantist Red Belt

I think it says a lot when CagePotato is more level headed than you about something (in referance to these guys spazzing out cause he was happy after he won)

14. dabausplaya

dabausplaya Brown Belt

I remember him on Attack of The Show with Olivia Munn

15. toe rag

toe rag Blue Belt

No-one is "spazzing" out. His comments after that fight were distasteful.

Never saw the cagepotato article; it's good to see he regretted it. Not such a bad guy after all.