Steve Mazzagattis Finest Moments

No ref is perfect. They expect them to have a record of 10,000 fights and 0 bad calls. How about Mirgliotta with Carwin vs. Mir?

Or more recently, Herb Dean with Faber vs. Barao? Talk about ruining a guy's UFC title hopes...

What about Rosenthal with a trunk full of ganja? That was a bad call.

Yet all we hear is Dana CRAP talk on one

...or Munoz/Weidman.

No ref is perfect. They expect them to have a record of 10,000 fights and 0 bad calls. How about Mirgliotta with Carwin vs. Mir?

Or more recently, Herb Dean with Faber vs. Barao? Talk about ruining a guy's UFC title hopes...

What about Rosenthal with a trunk full of ganja? That was a bad call.

Yet all we hear is Dana CRAP talk on one

Making some of the calls hes made is alot worse than a dude having loads of ganj

Not the worst ref IMO. I've seen him make plenty of excellent stoppages. A few bad calls are bound to happen when you ref THAT many high-level bouts.

Mazzagatti blows, but that point deduction was perfectly valid. I watched the fight to see why there was such an outcry and Mazzagatti had warned the one fighter nearly a dozen times about watching his elbows.

Except the elbow he deducted the point for wasn't even illegal....

I'm pretty sure these guys do a better job than 99% of the population criticizing them. This job would be extremely difficult and the chance for human error is outstanding. You have to be at a good angle to see the action at all times, make split second decisions that may be the difference between an injury or not, and be ready to jump in at any second.

Lets just be glad no one has died in the UFC yet.

kim winslow is way worse than mazzagatti

dan miragliotta is up there as well

Not the worst ref IMO. I've seen him make plenty of excellent stoppages. A few bad calls are bound to happen when you ref THAT many high-level bouts.
This is true.

I don't think Mazzagatti, Herb or Yamasaki are truly bad referees. It's just, when they make a mistake, it's so flagrant that it overshadows all the good work they have done, which is unfortunate because a good referee is one you simply do not notice.

I must say though, Yamasaki missing the blatant nut shot in Hughes-Trigg II because he was behind both fighters and not in a position to see it, and then completely fucking up the stoppage in Barao-Wineland because he was behind both fighters and not in a position to see it, really rustles my jimmies.

They're just like refs in any other sport. They fuck up sometimes. Get off their back.

imo Mazzagatti isnt that bad and dana should be careful what he wishes for because if nevada takes Mazzagatti off big cards they could very well end up with worse refs in there

also 2:26 of the video mark coleman barks like a dog

Much of the Mazzagatti hate is because of Dana's outcry over the Brock fight.

I always find it so strange that people complain about the Fitch stoppage. Anyone who has watched that fight should know there was zero Mazzagatti could have done to step in.

Watch it. There is literally ONE second between Fitch's left leg going from being posted (conscious) to flopping to ground and Burkman releasing the choke.

It only looks bad because Burkman releases the choke. How many times have you seen a fighter have to tell the ref his opponent is out before the ref stops it? Happens all the time and the ref doesn't get flak for it.

IMO - the Rousey armbar and the Burns eyepokes are the worst. They are genuinely awful calls.

Also, it's an 8-minute video and there are like 8 incidents on there. Around half of which are questionable. The rest is Dana ranting.

I've been watching Mazzagatti ref for a long time and 3-4 bad calls over a ten-year spell seems okay to me.

You could make a highlight for Herb Dean & Big John fucking up a shit ton too. Reffing is not easy.

Dude gets shit on a lot. Yeah he's fucked up but so have other refs including Herb. Try showing some of his good calls. Believe it or not there are many.

Everyone of them makes mistakes. Big John, Yamasakis, Dean, Lavigne, Mazzagatti... They have all refereed so many fights, and not just in MMA but I've seen Lavigne and Mazzagattin in kickboxing as well

They do mistakes, we would do so too. It's a shitty job if you are looking for appreciation... Fans do not forget

Mazzagati's terrible. I really don't know how he still gets jobs.

Mazz is not that bad. People just listen to what Dana says. Dean has been worse lately.

He saved that girl's arm against Rousey. That was not a bad stoppage when she verbally submitted by screaming.

Back