steroids and sport

peanut butter

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
at the gym today, we stumbled on to a convo about steroids and athletes, with me sayin that all olympic sprinters and weightlifters are on the roids. they were horrified and said i was jealous and that its bullshit and they always tested and could never get away with it. im sure i was right. what are your thoughts about this??????

It seems to me that there is a large amount of Olympic athletes that are using performace enhancing substances. I do not know all the facts, but there have been quite a reports coming out lately about athletes testing positive for something. I think that is is very difficult to keep away from a substance that you know will help you.

They can test for drugs as much as they want, the fact is that no test was ever invented to find a drug before that drug was invented and used. I think most pro/top athletes in most sports take drugs, be it roids or any other performance enhancing drug. I prefer being too suspicious to being too naive.

First, read "Speed Trap" by Charlie Francis.

Then realize that most of the population isn't interested in knowing all the facts and many are better off being naive. I rarely spout my opinion on such sensitive topics since it gets a large reaction out of people who are uneducated about the subject and do not share my feelings.

My former boss was a national class high jumper. He estimated 60% of the D1 athletes he competed against were on (from the sample size of fellow athletes he knew were on). Of the elite of the elite, he said he didn't know any who weren't.

i know those guys are juiced. It is very hard esp when they are older to not take something that enhances your performance. Truth is i really don't know lol i just use common sense. But hey i am no body builder at all lol. I wouldn't be able to stand me being that ripped :p.

its hard to tell. unless youre at the top all we can do is speculate. charlie francis basically says everyone is on, but he has motives.

peanut butter said:
at the gym today, we stumbled on to a convo about steroids and athletes, with me sayin that all olympic sprinters and weightlifters are on the roids. they were horrified and said i was jealous and that its bullshit and they always tested and could never get away with it. im sure i was right. what are your thoughts about this??????
I don't think the problem is so much more prevalent in olympic weightlifting than in any other sport (including cycling, soccer and many others). I know of certain cases of doping, it's worse in some places than others, but here's a story for you.

One lifter I train with snatched 170, clean & jerked 210 as a 94kg lifter, so that's pretty elite standard. It's years and years after, his body is screwed (bad wrists among many many other problems), he isn't anywhere near as focused and is old by oly lifting terms. Training twice a week (if that) he still powersnatches 130kg for reps, clean & jerks 165kg easy, it's incredibly unlikely that a retired, rarely training lifter would bother to be on anything. The point of all this is that you can still lift damn good weights, world standard, while being clean.

Alon said:
I don't think the problem is so much more prevalent in olympic weightlifting than in any other sport (including cycling, soccer and many others). I know of certain cases of doping, it's worse in some places than others, but here's a story for you.

One lifter I train with snatched 170, clean & jerked 210 as a 94kg lifter, so that's pretty elite standard. It's years and years after, his body is screwed (bad wrists among many many other problems), he isn't anywhere near as focused and is old by oly lifting terms. Training twice a week (if that) he still powersnatches 130kg for reps, clean & jerks 165kg easy, it's incredibly unlikely that a retired, rarely training lifter would bother to be on anything. The point of all this is that you can still lift damn good weights, world standard, while being clean.

I think the real point is once you do roids ( and other drugs) you never lose some of the "gains".

Foulsmeller said:
I think the real point is once you do roids ( and other drugs) you never lose some of the "gains".
Then why does the IWF mandate two year bans? I'd honestly be interested to find out how much gains you keep long after a cycle, I can't imagine it would be that much, especially in the case of the lifter I was talking about, who hasn't competed seriously in almost 10 years.

Alon said:
Then why does the IWF mandate two year bans? I'd honestly be interested to find out how much gains you keep long after a cycle, I can't imagine it would be that much, especially in the case of the lifter I was talking about, who hasn't competed seriously in almost 10 years.

I forget the name off the top of my head, but one steroid stays in your system for 18 months.

MPCOA said:
I forget the name off the top of my head, but one steroid stays in your system for 18 months.
When used in doses which aren't detected by the mandatory testing?

Alon said:
When used in doses which aren't detected by the mandatory testing?

Any dose below the positive threshold would be totally useless since they are in the pg range.
Nandrolone metabolites can be detected up to 18months after use. Its the only common anabolic steroid with such a long detection period. But the level of metabolites at that point is very minute and would not be anabolic.

Gains from steroid cycles don't simply go away. With proper training, nutrition and ancilliaries after the cycle, one can keep most of the lean muscle gains. Clueless noobs would probably crash and lose everything.

mutlu has just been banned for 2 years after being caught taking nandrolone

most of track and field athletes has got caught on deca durabolin. Why, well just because its a popular roid and stays in the system very long. This is probably the top of the iceberg since you can use sustanon or other testo-variants and test clean just a couple of months later.

Rjkd12 said:
First, read "Speed Trap" by Charlie Francis.

Then realize that most of the population isn't interested in knowing all the facts and many are better off being naive. I rarely spout my opinion on such sensitive topics since it gets a large reaction out of people who are uneducated about the subject and do not share my feelings.

I wouldn't mind seeing your opinion though. If people damn you for it, oh well. This is an interesting subject.

Lard-ass said:
most of track and field athletes has got caught on deca durabolin. Why, well just because its a popular roid and stays in the system very long. This is probably the top of the iceberg since you can use sustanon or other testo-variants and test clean just a couple of months later.

Wrong. You are referring to the recent spate of nandrolone positives. Its not just track n field, its French soccer players, judo players, cyclists etc. These Olympic and world class athletes would not have used nandrolone intentionally because of its long detection period.
The positives could be caused by contamination in steroids or precursor supplements. And sustanon would be a poor subsitute since it has a several med-long esters.

Back