Steroids and Grappling Tournaments

In Limbo***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have have no experience in the grappling arts, but been training Muay Thai on and off for the last several years.

A friend of mine who practices BJJ recently told me of a couple instances where he saw guys literally shooting up roids in the locker rooms before/during local grappling tournaments. He said all this was done pretty much in plain sight and needles were shamelessly tossed in the trash cans. he also mentioned that it was mainly the Brazilian dudes doing this.

He has no reason to make this up and I was just wondering if any of you guys have seen/experienced steroid use at tourneys. Is this a prevalent practice?

Thanks

I have have no experience in the grappling arts, but been training Muay Thai on and off for the last several years.

A friend of mine who practices BJJ recently told me of a couple instances where he saw guys literally shooting up roids in the locker rooms before/during local grappling tournaments. He said all this was done pretty much in plain sight and needles were shamelessly tossed in the trash cans. he also mentioned that it was mainly the Brazilian dudes doing this.

He has no reason to make this up and I was just wondering if any of you guys have seen/experienced steroid use at tourneys. Is this a prevalent practice?

Thanks

How do you know it was roids and not insulin? maybe even meth or pcp to get psychotic.

A doctor once told me (I was having a blood sample taken) that doing strenuous exercise with the part of the body where a vein had been recently injected would result in a large hole, slower healing time, and a big bruise.

thats a good point.

i wonder if adcc or any major tournament tests for steroid usage.

I wouldn't see a huge benefit for a sport like bjj. Seems like the risk/reward for that would be pretty shitty.

Sure plenty of guys would do steroids, but right before a match and in plain sight? No offense to your friend but it sounds made up. Why no just inject them in the morning? It's not like a cartoon where you inject the stuff and then you turn immediately into superman for an hour, and they it wears off instantly.

I can see people using gear to get over injuries or gaining strength during the off season but not sure if it would really help to shoot gear at a tournament. Lots of steroids are known to give you muscle pumps, a bad thing to have when you need muscular endurance. There are steroids used for endurance such as EPO, but that stuff is super dangerous (check the chinese olympic team that had multiple deaths in one year).

I have heard that steroids are cheap and easy to get in Brazil. I doubt anyone would be using them AT a tournament though.

But no, I don't think any grappling tournaments test for steroids.

Sure plenty of guys would do steroids, but right before a match and in plain sight? No offense to your friend but it sounds made up. Why no just inject them in the morning? It's not like a cartoon where you inject the stuff and then you turn immediately into superman for an hour, and they it wears off instantly.

That's what I figured about injecting right before a tournament. I also asked him if he was sure it was not insulin, he told me he saw a guy shooting right into his ass; i believe insulin is usually shot thru the skin on your stomach.

i don't know why he would make that up but it does seem very strange to me so i figured I'd ask

BTW nice Jerry Only av....he is my friend's uncle (not made up lol)

I wouldn't see a huge benefit for a sport like bjj. Seems like the risk/reward for that would be pretty shitty.

The benefit is that provided you continue to stretch, you have the same technique with more strength. That can never really be a bad thing. And there is no "risk", none of the organizations test for steroids.

BTW nice Jerry Only av....he is my friend's uncle (not made up lol)

Hey awesome. I've met him a few times, he's a cool dude.

I put his bobble head as my avatar to strike fear into the hearts of posters everywhere.

There would be no benefit of shooting up right before a tournament. That is not how they work at all. You have to be on a cycle for weeks and constantly work out to have any positive effects on your body. And a lot of that stuff has an extremely adverse effect on cardio. I think your friend was mistaken.

I'm sure the grappling scene is fully or steroid users, especially at the level where money is involved.

Most steriods are time released, so Im gonna call BS on this

Thanks

It was probably EPO. Which would increase RBC and allow the grappler to not get tired (Same shit the Tour De France guys use). Steroids are not going to do shit for you immediately after a shot.

I can see Boldenone Undeclynate (EQ) being very beneficial for grappling. It increases RBC, and does not include water retention. Only problem is that you can pop for it on a test up to 18 months after you use it.

But you are right, most steroids are useless in MMA. The added muscle usually kills your cardio.

It was probably EPO. Which would increase RBC and allow the grappler to not get tired (Same shit the Tour De France guys use). Steroids are not going to do shit for you immediately after a shot.

Is EPO usually injected or consumed immediately prior to activity?

I can see Boldenone Undeclynate (EQ) being very beneficial for grappling. It increases RBC, and does not include water retention. Only problem is that you can pop for it on a test up to 18 months after you use it.

But you are right, most steroids are useless in MMA. The added muscle usually kills your cardio.
perfectly solved.

= anablic steroids and EPO or whatever that is. I bet thats what Sherk did. He had a full tank of gas.

But i agree. Too much muscle mass, especially when guys train only there biceps or train them a lot. It won't hurt you, but why not put more mass on your back chest and legs with squats deadlifts and bench instead of wasting cardio by building such a huge bicep muscle, you know?

I suppose they could damage your cardio but if you already have excellent technique being able to punch harder and take down more explosively could only help, especially at the level these guys are. if you just go out there like kimbo and blow up then yes, obviously steroids aren't going to help.

if you could use winstrol and stay at 180 pounds through out the cycle and your deadlift went from 400 to 500 do you think that's an advantage? Sure I suppose the drop in bmf% might possibly hurt cardio, possibly being key word, but that is a big strength gain. huge in fact.

Is EPO usually injected or consumed immediately prior to activity?
i would love to experiment with steroids. I mean im only 17 but for real. I mean take EPO, go to wrestling practice and see how good of an effect it really has.

Or take roids for 2 weeks and see how good the effects are. I would love to see how good of an effect they would have on you.

obviously i dont think i will ever do it though.

Watch this movie....BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER

great movie. Also watch true life. im on steroids. It shows an mma guy using them for recovery purposes.

Back