(1st fight) Sterling clearly won the first 2 rounds vs Yan. 3rd is arguable

Espresso

Post USADA era will make UFC great again
@Silver
Reaction score
He for sure took the first 2. And the third round could've gone either way. Aside from a few judo trips in the 3rd which were followed by a quick stand up from ref.... the sig strikes landed were 30-29 in favor of Yan, however, Sterling had Yan pressed against the cage a couple times.

Yan was clearly frustrated going into the 4th. Sterling is bigger/longer reach and also faster.

Last edited:
No

The only reason the first couple of rounds were close at all is Aljo was fighting at a pace he couldn't keep
You say "no" then bring up something completely irrelevant

I agree with the fact that Sterling was slowing down, however, he did win the first two and arguably the 3rd

One can argue...

That's what we do on Sherdog

Good luck proving that Sterling was winning... I thought he was being dominated & was about to be murked. The knee provided us with a slightly quicker outcome

You say "no" then bring up something completely irrelevant

I agree with the fact that Sterling was slowing down, however, he did win the first two and arguably the 3rd
How is that irrelevant? You said Yan "was clearly frustrated going into the 4th" and Yan wasn't frustrated at all, he knew he was fighting at a 5 round pace and slowly turning it up each round, while Aljo was slowing down each round

I would have to rewatch it, but I remember everyone thinking Yan won the third

I think it was 2-1 Yan, Sterling win the 2nd, but 1+3 were Yan. I can't justify 3-0 Sterling in any sense.

I am not the one on the receiving end, but the reaction to the foul doesn't look like he was going to pick up any extra ground either. Clearly not as bad as Kos taking the knee whiff like a bitch, but it felt like he was already down the path to defeat and kinda knew it.

Hopefully #2 is decisive as hell.

You can argue anything you want. That doesn't mean it's correct.

Uhhhh - no( and I bet aljo- i felt like i was stealing upon collecting) . Vegas has no horse and they wouldnt mske Yan an enormous -350 favorite if that opinion remotely had legs.

DONT DO DRUGS to all the young'ns out there .

One can argue...

That's what we do on Sherdog

Good luck proving that Sterling was winning... I thought he was being dominated & was about to be murked. The knee provided us with a slightly quicker outcome
That's why I created this thread, because of the notion, seemingly everywhere, that Sterling "was being dominated", although I believe he won the first 2.

Though I wouldn't argue with "Sterling- was about to be murked" because he was showing fatigue and Yan was starting to get the better of him.

If watching that fight you think the guy getting thrown around and beaten up for almost every minute of the fight then what a shitty scoring system.

if you showed some guy the fight who’s never watched mma. He would say that black guy is getting the shit beat out of him and can barely stand. and is flailing all over the place.

then you’re like well with the scoring of a fight which mma was intended to replicate. The guy getting his ass beat is having a perfect fighting score. He’s winning every round.

aljo won those rounds “clearly” you say?

Please don’t apply to become an mma judge

Last edited:
Uhhhh - no( and I bet aljo- i felt like i was stealing upon collecting) . Vegas has no horse and they wouldnt mske Yan an enormous -350 favorite if that opinion remotely had legs.

DONT DO DRUGS to all the young'ns out there .
You got to let it ride on Aljo again and feel like you really stole money from your bookie if you win.

what fight were you watching? Yan was up and winning the 4th.

1 judge had Sterling up and other two had Yan and Yan was up in the 4th so Sterling would have needed a finish on the cards to win.

He for sure took the first 2. And the third round could've gone either way. Aside from a few judo trips in the 3rd which were followed by a quick stand up from ref.... the sig strikes landed were 30-29 in favor of Yan, however, Sterling had Yan pressed against the cage a couple times.

Yan was clearly frustrated going into the 4th. Sterling has a longer reach and is also faster.
He started fast but could not kep up that pace and yan just waited till he began to gas....Sterling won the 1st....probably the 2nd....then Yan began doing his thing. He's gonna have his way in the rematch.

Back