Stephen Thompsons worst matchup

maia is the master of the single-leg takedown - the bane of the side-stance karate master

Agree 100% with this. Still a very winnable fight for WB with a good strategy - especially in a five rounder, since Maia will gas and become ineffective and vulnerable.
But the first couple rounds will be extremely dangerous for WB getting dragged down and dominated on the ground.

Last edited:
Maia wont get close to Thompson. It'll look like Maia vs Anderson with Wonderboy using movement to avoid the clinch and take downs.

just like he avoided the clinch with everyone he faced just yet? hendricks also got to take him down, maia takes him down, and he is not getting up, Maia is way longer and has better singles than hendricks.

Thompson could also light maia up on the way in, both things can happen.

I don't believe that to be true at all. Rory would beat him again and guys like Lombard and Woodley that are nearly impossible to take down would beat his ass on the feet. If he got a takedown on Lawler or WB things could get interesting, but they've become extremely hard to take down.

I agree, Rory Lombard and Woodley are by far his toughest matches. Lawler and WB will get taken down, and WB has not all the sudden developed just yet super tdd, he got better though, still no match for maia. On the other hand WB is extremely fast, so he could very much apply a hit and run strategy till maia gasses.

Really? I have a hard time believing that after seeing him neutralize Hendricks' takedowns.

I think it would look a lot like Silva vs Maia.

Wonderboy is way too fast for him.

Maia nas come a looooong loooong way with his wrestlig from Andersons fight, that was what? 6 years ago?

1.30 min 1st round hendricks vs wonderboy version of Johnny Hendricks annihilates thompson 9 outta 10

I think Rory is tough fight, but Lawler is obviously the hardest matchup. He's closed the distance against Rory twice, and Condit, and Matt Brown, and Hendricks. Thompson can be champ but he did get dropped by Ellenberger, so I dont see him avoiding it from a guy like Lawler.

This, and add the fact that lawler would be more than happy to eat a strike to land one

This, and add the fact that lawler would be more than happy to eat a strike to land one

I believe that Lawler's chin is gonna crack soon, there's no way he can keep getting in these 5 round wars and not suffer the eventually KO. He has been wobbled or hurt badly in all of his 5 rounders, except maybe the 2nd Hendricks fight. With Wonderboy's timing and accuracy, I could see him being the one to do it.

IMO, Condit. Muay Thai guys can seem to get inside on karate guys and can time things.
Plus Condit has some surprising angles.

He basically ragdolled Rory for one round. Impressive.

who has ever ragdolled rory for one round the way maia did?
and the 3rd round was pretty even, rory came up on top for sure, but it was competitive, eventhough maia was half dead already.

who has ever ragdolled rory for one round the way maia did?
and the 3rd round was pretty even, rory came up on top for sure, but it was competitive, eventhough maia was half dead already.
I also find it a bit odd that Maia has fought so few of his fellow top ten WWs. Who is being protected from who?

He already beat his toughest match up if you ask me. No one has better TD's then Hendricks.

3rd dan black belt in karate GSP wont get confused by any stance or switch.
GSP said WB was the best striker he's ever trained with. Then he said he's the best striker in all of MMA. GSP included.

I do think Rory would be an interesting fight but I can't see him beating WB more times than WB beats him. It might be that WB just decimates him but I doubt it's the other way around....

Rory is too weak willed to last 5 rounds against elite strikers. Maybe if it was 3 rounder, he'd havve a chance with a right gameplan.

Back