Stephen Thompson's UFC career in retrospect, how impressive is it?

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Out of everyone he's faced so far, which has been his toughest opponent? Which fight has been his best performance in your opinion?

His bout against Hendricks was probably his best performance, but I think it was very impressive the way he 50-45d Rory.

His bout against Hendricks was probably his best performance, but I think it was very impressive the way he 50-45d Rory.

I second this. Rory is a beast and I realised just how good Wonderboy was right after that fight.

I think Matt Brown was his most impressive performance. Because that loss probably encouraged him to adapt into the type of MMA fighter he is now.

I think Matt Brown was his most impressive performance. Because that loss probably encouraged him to adapt into the type of MMA fighter he is now.

i don't think you understand what impressive performance means

nice fancy answer tho

As journeyman it's pretty decent.

You can never truly attain that higher status without the belt, though imo.

i don't think you understand what impressive performance means

nice fancy answer tho
It feel it was the turning point in his MMA career. He gutted through that fight in an impressive fashion despite his shortcomings. I'm not sure we'd have seen the Rory and Johny fights without it happening early. It wasn't an attempt to give a fancy answer. Once again, Sherdog living up to it's stereotype.

His domination of Rory Mac was masterful.

I did prefer how he put Hendricks away within a round, though.

First round KO of Hendricks and a complete shut out of Rory MacDonald in a five round fight is pretty spectacular. A seven fight win streak capped with those two names is as good a streak as any other welterweight has achieved.

It feel it was the turning point in his MMA career. He gutted through that fight in an impressive fashion despite his shortcomings. I'm not sure we'd have seen the Rory and Johny fights without it happening early. It wasn't an attempt to give a fancy answer. Once again, Sherdog living up to it's stereotype.
That's kinda what I got out of it too. Making a post that no one else will say because it doesn't make sense as an answer.

First round KO of Hendricks and a complete shut out of Rory MacDonald in a five round fight is pretty spectacular. A seven fight win streak capped with those two names is as good a streak as any other welterweight has achieved.
Hendricks streak before the belt was awesome as well. Condit, kampmann, koscheck, and Fitch was exceptional

Finishing Rob Whittaker in a round is an underrated mark on his record

That's kinda what I got out of it too. Making a post that no one else will say because it doesn't make sense as an answer.
tumblr_nomiulSC401qedb29o1_400.gif

So was rda's loss to Stephens his most impressive performance?

The question was in which fight was he most imprrssive. Stating that in retrospect it may have had a significant impact on his training approach does not make it the most impressive.

Only in your reply did you specify you were impressed with how he gutted it out. Not his fault he couldn't guess that shit wheb only mentioned it being a turning point.

Typical sherdog, not making you point clear then getting mad people couldn't figure it out.

his best performance was against rory. rory is about as good as they come in mma and wonderboy got him good. the hendricks fight was good but hendricks just isnt the same anymore.

So was rda's loss to Stephens his most impressive performance?

The question was in which fight was he most imprrssive. Stating that in retrospect it may have had a significant impact on his training approach does not make it the most impressive.

Only in your reply did you specify you were impressed with how he gutted it out. Not his fault he couldn't guess that shit wheb only mentioned it being a turning point.

Typical sherdog, not making you point clear then getting mad people couldn't figure it out.
I'm not mad about anything. The original post was revised and more vague when I originally posted. His destruction of Hendricks was incredible. But sometimes a loss can be impressive in retrospect. Particularly if it makes a difference in a fighter's career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back