Stephen King creates diversity controversy

Na, I think it's pretty irrelevant. Let me guess, a celebrity makes a Tweet, a bunch of strangers comment, and then Tim Pool sorts it all out for you? No thanks, I'll pass.

I don't need input from any of the above, and I could care less what they say on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. The only reason why it gets coverage is because people love gossip. Social media shapes public discourse the same way trash TV does, it's not something I need to engage with at all.

Sure. I understand where you are coming from. But that is your personal preference and has no bearing on its actual importance.

It's not even contained to your "Tim Pool" here, a news loop on the sites themselves, but it seeps into established media and drives coverage and stories. You can't dismiss it, you can try to tell these pesky tweeters to get off your news lawn but that isn't really happening.

went and read a few of the replies. jesus christ what a collection of talking points i've been hearing for a decade now.
i stopped after a while but i am sure somebody yelled rape at some point in those replies.
and hitler, let's not forget that.
Yeah their points are nuts at best.
Glad you got before Hitler started raping people.

Of course you can’t understand how offensive calling someone a monkey is.
too bad, the racial context takes the pleasure out of calling someone a monkey in the general sense. Like a mom saying to her toddler son: "you're such a monkey", "monkeying around" "cheeky little monkey". If we want a truly color blind society we have to get back to this kind of color-blind innocence. It's like coming up with an offensive scenario for the term 'honey', may be saying white supremacists are using this term as a dog whistle for something bad, then you cannot call your wife 'honey' anymore.

I sure hope "monkey" is not a banned word on this board

too bad, the racial context takes the pleasure out of calling someone a monkey in the general sense. Like a mom saying to her toddler son: "you're such a monkey", "monkeying around" "cheeky little monkey". If we want a truly color blind society we have to get back to this kind of color-blind innocence. It's like coming up with an offensive scenario for the term 'honey', may be saying white supremacists are using this term as a dog whistle for something bad, then you cannot call your wife 'honey' anymore.

I sure hope "monkey" is not a banned word on this board

if we are to assume whites are inherently racist to which they are. Then anything that a white person says to a POC that could be seen as racist should be interpreted as racism.

if we are to assume whites are inherently racist to which they are. Then anything that a white person says to a POC that could be seen as racist should be interpreted as racism.

Chill with the racism buddy

This is a tired click bait trend. It would make sense if the article was from 1960 or 1970, but there have been lots of minority that have been nominated and have won the award. I would rather win on merit, then someone wondering if I got bonus points because I was a minority.
The problem is someone posts the article and then the finds some Randos on twitter who agree with it. Sometimes I think the author of the article creates a couple twitter accounts to fan the flames to further his or her article.

He is wrong because non-white/non-straight people have it way harder and thus should receive some kind of "bonus points", so to speak.

I think liberals take the view that non-whites need a handicap like me golfing.

So the point of your thread is people are complaining about something on Twitter?

So the point of your post is complaining about other people complaining about what some other people tweeted?? Do you want to be in a chicken vindeloop???

This is a tired click bait trend. It would make sense if the article was from 1960 or 1970, but there have been lots of minority that have been nominated and have won the award. I would rather win on merit, then someone wondering if I got bonus points because I was a minority.
The problem is someone posts the article and then the finds some Randos on twitter who agree with it. Sometimes I think the author of the article creates a couple twitter accounts to fan the flames to further his or her article.

um...it was a tweet, dude

no, the point of this thread is that someone said something that should be non-controversial, but your tribe freaked out and decided to freak the fuck out because he said race shouldn't matter when gauging the merits of an acting performance or film.

It was a handful of people on twitter. You cannot attribute that to any considerable "tribe." He said something that wasn't a big deal, and the article posted on person tweeting outrage.

Life is better when you don't go searching for things to be outraged about.

Honestly, I hope the left eats him alive. Dude spends 24-7 spewing woke bullshit on his twitter and Trump is a nazi non sense.

It was a handful of people on twitter. You cannot attribute that to any considerable "tribe." He said something that wasn't a big deal, and the article posted on person tweeting outrage.

Life is better when you don't go searching for things to be outraged about.

It's the most popular news on many media websites, so kind of hard to ignore. If you want to bitch about this receiving publicity then you should blame the media, which has made a big deal of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/14/stephen-king-oscars-diversity-criticism
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/14/entertainment/ava-duvernay-stephen-king-diversity/index.html
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stephen-king-oscars-diversity_n_5e1de58ac5b650c621e64495
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture...s-diversity-comments-after-criticism-n1115436

Anyway this is just another example of a "woke person" losing their "woke" privileges after saying something sensible (see JK Rowling recently). Seems to be a pattern.

Less and less people want to associate themselves with that crap, because it's a losing game.

Basically he said skin color shouldn't be factored into awards.

You can skim all the comments in all the threads.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1217146343224795136

He's being heavily criticized for not taking race into account, even by other famous authors and moderately influential people, and there are plenty of rebuttals that would make Sherdoggers proud.

Agree with him.

The controversy, which is really just a small vocal group, is as much about gender as it is about ethnicity.

Basically he said skin color shouldn't be factored into awards.

You can skim all the comments in all the threads.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1217146343224795136

He's being heavily criticized for not taking race into account, even by other famous authors and moderately influential people, and there are plenty of rebuttals that would make Sherdoggers proud.

Stephen King can go fuck himself.

Guy's about as Anti-Trump and Anti-Common Sense as Leftist Novelists (and washed-up ones at that) go.

I don't give a shit what he says nor do I care that he said something sensible.

I assure you that was an ACCIDENT on his part.

He's really a four-eyed dickhead.

Back