Stephen Fulton vs Brandon Figueroa Nov.27th Las Vegas PBC Showtime

Inoue moves up and puts an absolute beating on CoolBoy

i don’t think 116-112 is crazy. 115-113 would have been fine and 116-112 is literally one round difference. damn near every round was even. surprisingly that two separate judges had 116-112 but not inconceivable. that’s the trouble with super close rounds.

Brandon must be disappointed but it’s disrespectful to gatecrash Fulton’s interview like that after that guy just went to battle with you and put it all on the line. Brandon came off like a dick there but I suppose tensions are high. Should still keep it zipped until it’s your turn to speak though.

i don’t think 116-112 is crazy. 115-113 would have been fine and 116-112 is literally one round difference. damn near every round was even. surprisingly that two separate judges had 116-112 but not inconceivable. that’s the trouble with super close rounds.
I agree with you. There was a lot of close rounds in there. 7-5 seems to be an acceptable score and most people are happy to admit that there was plenty of swing rounds, so giving Fulton one more round isn’t exactly preposterous. I think the idea of 8-4 just sounds wrong to a lot of people because it could have quite easily been a draw. 8-4 is not some kind of terrible score though imo.

I agree with you. There was a lot of close rounds in there. 7-5 seems to be an acceptable score and most people are happy to admit that there was plenty of swing rounds, so giving Fulton one more round isn’t exactly preposterous. I think the idea of 8-4 just sounds wrong to a lot of people because it could have quite easily been a draw. 8-4 is not some kind of terrible score though imo.
exactly. figueroa fought so well that you feel like he DESERVES a better score than that, but that’s not how judges score fights. it’s one of the flaws in the 10-9 must system.

i would like to see some sort of “pride judging” implemented in boxing and MMA someday soon. i really don’t like the way fights are scored, specifically because of fights like this. if this fight was judged as a whole, it’s probably a draw or a split decision at worst.

exactly. figueroa fought so well that you feel like he DESERVES a better score than that, but that’s not how judges score fights. it’s one of the flaws in the 10-9 must system.

i would like to see some sort of “pride judging” implemented in boxing and MMA someday soon. i really don’t like the way fights are scored, specifically because of fights like this. if this fight was judged as a whole, it’s probably a draw or a split decision at worst.
There’s things I like about the current system. For example I like seeing the tactical adjustments a fighter and coach make between rounds in order to steal the next round. The slow build to a big rally late in the fight can be fun as well. Some rounds are a real pain to score however and there’s very little in them.

I’d be curious to see fights scored as a whole instead of by rounds, but I think if you were to make that change, you might be better off changing the structure of the rounds. Perhaps less rounds but the rounds last longer.

I’d personally stick with the current system in boxing, but I’d still be interested to what alternative scoring would look like. MMA should absolutely ditch round by round scoring though imo.

There’s things I like about the current system. For example I like seeing the tactical adjustments a fighter and coach make between rounds in order to steal the next round. The slow build to a big rally late in the fight can be fun as well. Some rounds are a real pain to score however and there’s very little in them.
completely agree on all points. i suppose there are pro’s and con’s to the system and you and i are likely not the first guys to ponder such things. just can be detrimental to a fighter’s psyche being told he lost 8-4 in a fight he arguably could have won under the same system. i think under “pride rules” i’d give it to fulton just based on the cleaner shots coming from him, but figgy fought his ass off.
I’d be curious to see fights scored as a whole instead of by rounds, but I think if you were to make that change, you might be better off changing the structure of the rounds. Perhaps less rounds but the rounds last longer.

I’d personally stick with the current system in boxing, but I’d still be interested to what alternative scoring would look like. MMA should absolutely ditch round by round scoring though imo.
yeah all of that sounds structurally sound. could also just stick with the system we have, for better or worse. having a sport that relies on subjective opinion to determine a winner (rather than raw points like most sports) will always have its flaws. i don’t necessarily have a better idea myself, fights like this are just a downside to the scoring system.

regardless, fulton and figueroa gave us one of the best fights of the year, and neither should really give a shit about the outcome in the long run. neither man seemed to get injured, and neither man gave up much ground. just gotta go with the flow and move on.

figueroa should just focus on getting that belt back or winning another, and fulton should focus on defending it. shit happens and you can’t dwell on a “loss” like this.

This was a bad decision. Not taking anything away from Fulton, he put it all out , great respect to him. But Figueroa won that.

But whatever, at least the Teofimo judges got it right.

After seeing Aleem, Fig and Fulton fight last night i'm pretty confident Naoya would beat all 3.

For anyone who didn't see this fight, I recommend going back and watching it. Fun fight, action throughout, mostly on the inside. Good shit. I wasn't mad at the cards fwiw.

Back