Stephen A. Smith Hits Cerrone Again and Calls Conor's Shoulder "Strikes" Shrugs

I hate to agree with Smith but I can't deny he is right. I LOVE Cerrone but what happened in there, to the casual fan, one could assume like he didn't want to be in there. All touching gloves and smiling and shit, no aggression and gets finished that quick. But, what they simply cannot fathom is being hit very hard, rocked, and unable to gather yourself. Cerrone got rocked hard from hitting his head on Conor's thigh, the subsequent shoulder strikes left him hurt and dazed with a busted nose and orbital, and the finish was there.

It's worse since Cerrone came out later saying nothing was actually broken at all in the fight.

I couldn't care less about Smith. I don't follow basketball anymore and don't follow him on ESPN. He didn't say anything that hasn't been said about Cowboy in these very forums many times over the years. People were saying it about Cerrone after he fought RDA and Pettis and Bendo.

After Pettis and RDA, many said all you had to do was touch Cowboy to the body and he'd fold. Cowboy has lost 6 times in a single round in the biggest fights of his career. He also mentally folded against Diaz though that at least went to a decision. When he fought Nate, a lot of people on Sherdog were claiming Cowboy was the uncrowned champ. He's a better fighter than that but there's no doubt he tends to choke in his biggest fights. That's often what separates the greatest athletes from the merely good. The greats raise their game in the biggest situations. Others shrink.

Everyone knows Cerrone has crumbled under pressure many times before. He's still a good fighter and deserves respect, but he did crumble once again.

MMA fans (particularly on Sherdog) lecturing someone about respect is genuinely funny to me

99ZOj6y.png

“Fellas, I’m learning the sport. Muay Thai, being in a rear-naked choke — I don’t know. I never said I knew. What I said was, I was at that fight. I know what the hell I saw for those 40 seconds. I’m not debating the sport. Like for example, there’s a whole bunch of cats that talk basketball, you think they know basketball like I know basketball? I’ve been covering the sport for 25 years. I got inside information all over the place. No, I’m an aficionado on basketball. I’m a reporter and spectator everywhere else.

“For example you might have somebody like my man Max Kellerman, you cover boxing. Max could tell you who the 30th-ranked fighter in the world is. I don’t give a damn about him. I’ll see him when gets up to the top 10. I’m focusing on here cause I ain’t got time, I got to do all of this. I ain’t got time to watch the 30th-ranked fighter. You see what I’m saying? But if I did watch him fight, I know boxing enough to know what I saw.

“So when you had cats coming at me, I’m sitting here ‘Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Wait a minute.’ I didn’t sit up there and say, I’m Joe Rogan and I’m breaking down the nuances of the sport. I’m saying I saw Conor McGregor fight this dude for 40 seconds. I saw this dude get hit with three shoulder shrugs right to his nose. He backed up, had a chance to run away for a few seconds to gather himself, didn’t do it. Only did one side kick, which didn’t connect. Then got kicked in the side of his head by Conor McGregor, he goes down and out.

“This is your 50th fight, dog. You didn’t know how to back up and catch your breath? Then, oh — by the way — you went out in 40 seconds. Then we find out it’s your first pay-per-view fight. Oh, how many times we’ve seen brothers step in the ring and we go like this, ‘Bright lights might have been too much for them.’ But because it’s Cowboy Cerrone and it’s the MMA, suddenly I’m not allowed to say that? It’s ridiculous!”

--MMAonSiriusXM

Its Stephen a Smith.... Does anyone other then his core fans care about his thoughts on anything MMA related? Ive never taken what any of these sports broadcasters, commentators, journalists have to say seriously unless they actually had real experience in the respective sport themselves. Whether that be as an athlete, coach, trainer, whatever, but if you never had an ounce of experience within the sport you are breaking down, you really don't know, and your thoughts are no more relevant than some random kid.

You-you're just a triggered snowflake.
If you're not, prove it by complaining to ESPN about Stephen A Smith with the rest of us alfas! He had no right to fight shame Cowboy the way he has.

<mma1>
Only we can critique our sport !!!

What's he like quadrupling down on his bullshit at this point? No one was mad at him for his analysis of the fight (however misinformed he may have been), it had everything to do with him calling Cowboy a quitter, simple as that. The man has an enormous ego for someone who's a nobody. He literally built his career around talking about other peoples feats and somehow he feels he's equal to these people? SAS could use a couple doses of reality and a kick in the ass from time to time. As the legend Patrice O'Neal used to say, SAS needs his "medicine".
So Patrice O'Neal is a legend but SAS is a nobody? Lmaoo so weird to read that

I legitimately like Stephen A Smith and the coverage he brings to MMA, I thinks he's fun to listen to even if he's way off base.
I don't feel he said anything particularly egregious on the McGregor vs Cerrone coverage though, people are just turned off hearing someone who's not knowledgeable of the sport being harsh on fighters.
This is spot on IMO

“Fellas, I’m learning the sport. Muay Thai, being in a rear-naked choke — I don’t know. I never said I knew. "

Right here is where you've said enough, Stephen A Smith. Shut the fuck up and learn you elitist prick.

Thats what makes MMA fans look so f'n whiny - its always been fair game for an announcer/sports writer to say a boxer looked like a "bum" last fight and no one one was crying "Lets see you box!!" after the fact

Yeah, but MMA isn't beholden to all of the cultural traditions of boxing. Sure it's prize fighting, but its grown up with its own media because mainstream media ignored it until relatively recently. The response from fans would never had been this big if weren't for who SAS is: he's an MMA outsider, he's a high profile mainstreamer, he's opinionated and doesn't really know what he's talk about in the context of MMA. And he went after somebody who's become one of the beloved elderstatesmen of the sport.

Stephen A Smith is a "personality", a tv character almost. People shouldn't hang onto his every word. I don't remember what he said because it's been a while and I can't be fucked to look it up but Cerrone did get folded and quit from a lot less punishment than a lot of guys have taken. It is what it is. Doesn't mean Cerrone isn't tough or a badass but McGregor had one of the most stylistically favorable fights of his career against a very aged Cerrone coming off two one sided ass kicking losses.

Stephen is right and he should hold his ground.

Cerrone did blow it under the big lights like he always does. Those strikes were hella situational and props to Conor for being a total animal in there and being dangerous from any spot, but Cerrone folded more than Conor obliterated an actual contender.

And to say what Stephen won't say....Cerrone is and was a gatekeeper going into this fight and he's prone to be KO'd. This fight was set up to be a smash match up
Agreed. I love that Stephen just said what anyone would say what they saw.

Hype jobs and dick suckers are gonna praise conor for that gimme fight.

And now...we got cerrone, whom is doubted on the daily.

He either got paid to dive.
Or he really did wither from that silly shit.

Stick a fork in him.

there's no indication he feels he's equal to ''these people''. he called it as he sees it. and as others pointed out, it's not like there's not a lot of people, especially here on sherdog calling fighter x or y a ''quitter''. it's not like he called the fight a fix, which a lot here even claim. i don't like conor and i like cerone, but cerone pretty much choked there, just like he always does in bigger fights.

No indication? Have you seen the way he interacts with sports stars on and off the air? So some nerds talking shit on a karate forum is equal to a mainstream sports broadcaster doing it on live TV? Besides Stephen A is always disingenuous about what he actually said, which indicates to me that even he knows he fucked up, but his ego won't allow him to admit it.

True, and he also said some ignorant stuff on Ak and Barak's boxing show.

Link?

So Patrice O'Neal is a legend but SAS is a nobody? Lmaoo so weird to read that

You're misrepresenting what I said, compared to these athletes who perform amazing feats, Stephen A is a nobody. Patrice is a legend in his world of comedy, yes. I'm aware he's a big mainstream media figure, I dislike him and anyone with a similar platform doing similar things. I'm not singling out Stephen A because "he talked noob shit about my sacred sport" Stephen A is the Wendy Williams of the sports world, there I said it. Or like my guy @Blanqa Blanqua said:
clout chasing muppet

Sherdog is slipping. No mention of his racism toward the end? He brings up "brothers" when it has nothing to do with the fight?

Sherdog is slipping. No mention of his racism toward the end? He brings up "brothers" when it has nothing to do with the fight?

Stephen A is a well known racist

I mean he's 100% right

Everyone knows Cowboy is a quitter, ffs the majority of this forum was saying it before the fight but because SAS is an "outsider" people get weird about it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back