Stephen A Smith addresses infamous hitting mits video: "I had jacked up shoulders"

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Ariel:
People think you released this video to show others your "street cred", but that wasnt the case. Can you tell us the genesis of this video, because they are using this as fuel to the fire that you dont know what you are talking about

Smith:
First of all, they can say whatever they want. They are entitled to their opinion. That video is horrific and certainly i didnt put it out there. What happened was that i tore my rotator cuff last july. Three days before the surgery i was working out, doing my cardio and all of that stuff. And silly me said to the trainer "can i put on some boxing gloves?" and he was like "you dont need to be throwing any punches with your shoulder like this". And i told him "I dont care im going to get surgery anyway"

So he asked me "do me a favor and try to throw some uppercuts, dont do anything else because you might jack your shoulder".
It was after a 90 minute workout already. Im used to throwing 6 to 8 punch combinations with far more speed than that, but the bottom line is that i had messed up shoulders, i did not know it was being taped and i certainly did not know it was going to be posted. It was a private workout. For some reason he put that damn thing out, seven, eight months ago. Needless to say he isnt working with me any longer.

But the point im trying to make is that it wasnt me at my best or anything like that. But again, thats fine. Im a grown man. The bottom line is that the video was what it was, which is an atrocious display of any kind of boxing or whatever. I actually laughed about it with Teddy Atlas, i said "there's a blessing in everything" and he asked me what that was. I said "the minute i overcome this rotator cuff because im now 7 months removed from surgery and its going to be another 3 months before im 100%, one of the first things im going to do is get into the gym with a real boxing trainer like you for you to show me what i should do. How to throw uppercuts because Im a Thomas Hitman Hearns kind of guy, i like to stay on the outside and use my jab and my right hand, not trying to be on the inside throwing some damn uppertcuts because im tall and slim"

But nevertheless it was an horrific display, it was not meant for public consumption, it should not be out there, but it was and when you sit in my chair, i have to be judgemental and critical of what people do every single day in the world of sports. Who am i to bitch and moan about somebody taking an opportunity to get at me? When i do the same thing every day. As a matter of fact, one thing i love about me is to show that i can take it. Because when i come at you, for whatever reason, you wont be able to say i couldnt take it when they came at me. Im a big boy, i can take it.

The video wasnt made for public consumption, i had jacked shoulders, i shouldnt have been throwing punches, but it is what it is now.

{<diva}

Last edited:
His shoulder was balloon Smith has been born... :)

90 minutes workout, 6-8 punch combinations...yeah, right.

So he’s borrowing a page from Conor book <45><Lmaoo> balloon foot=balloon shoulder hahahahahaa

Lmao this guy is trying to save face so hard.

SAS sucks at throwing punches. Bro there are UFC fighters that dont throw punches well lol. Who gives a shit?

It should be considered a crime this guy has weaseled his way into mma.

Okay if "jacked up shoulders" is the reason why he looked like a bum in that video, he should give us an updated video of him punching right now.

Unless he really does look like Kermit The Frog anytime he throws a punch

I-dont-believe-you.gif

It should be considered a crime this guy has weaseled his way into mma.
You can't be this dumb publicly bro.The face of ESPN weaseled his way into the sport? BWAHAHAH. He is doing the sport a favor.

The longer his responses are the better it is because he comes across so defensive but wants to act like "hey, it's cool".

Last edited:
The man doth protest too much, methinks.

Back