Stephan Kesting, this is plain wrong (three ways to escape any submission app)

Meh. A lil hyperbole never hurt nobody.

Come on, really? No possible way to escape an RNC or triangle once it's "fully locked"?

Meh. A lil hyperbole never hurt nobody.

I understand that this app is targeting whitebelts/bran new blues, but a little disclaimer on the bottom saying "although the escapes shown are legit and do work on some people, you are not getting out of a fully locked RNC applied by a competent grappler" , at the end, white belts dont care about getting subbed by purples, they see purples as jedis, so it probably wont hurt its audience.

Come on, really? No possible way to escape an RNC or triangle once it's "fully locked"?

no theres no way to escape a fully locked RNC, at least not one applied by a competent grappler, if you do have a good technique, you should post it and put it on test, on video, and then sell the details, you will make a pretty good ammount of money out of it.

no theres no way to escape a fully locked RNC, at least not one applied by a competent grappler, if you do have a good technique, you should post it and put it on test, on video, and then sell the details, you will make a pretty good ammount of money out of it.

Grab the hand that's behind your neck, pull it down, control it, grab other hand. Sure it's very hard to pull off while getting choked out, but it exists.

You can even get out of a fully locked armbar, see Vinny vs Werdum. So he's not technically wrong, you *can* get out of any submission.

I understand that this app is targeting whitebelts/bran new blues, but a little disclaimer on the bottom saying "although the escapes shown are legit and do work on some people, you are not getting out of a fully locked RNC applied by a competent grappler" , at the end, white belts dont care about getting subbed by purples, they see purples as jedis, so it probably wont hurt its audience.

I see no point in doing that at all. I really don't know where you're coming from on this. Are we supposed to be concerned about a host of while belts maliciously deceived into thinking they can escape from fully locked subs by a blog post containing the words "Late escapes aren’t as easy to pull off, or as high percentage, as escaping before or during, but you still need to know them."

Anyway, it depends how you read it. The title says there are 3 ways to escape any submission. And there are 3 ways, if you define them as early, middle and late. It's not saying or even implying IMO that all 3 ways are 100% all the time.

Talk about a storm in a teacup.

rapbattle2.png

Grab the hand that's behind your neck, pull it down, control it, grab other hand. Sure it's very hard to pull off while getting choked out, but it exists.

You can even get out of a fully locked armbar, see Vinny vs Werdum. So he's not technically wrong, you *can* get out of any submission.

A competent grappler is not ever going to get you get to his locking hand, thats why you close the space with your head, the only way to get to that hand is if the choker lets a big space between his opponents head and his, and no competent grapplers is going to do that, so no there is no way to escape a fully applied RNC by performed by a competent grappler.

Armbars, sure but I never mentioned armbars, I specifically said RNC, and triangles also, although there is some people whos very hard to choke with arm in chokes, so Triangles yeah theres some ways to defend them.

I see no point in doing that at all. I really don't know where you're coming from on this. Are we supposed to be concerned about a host of while belts maliciously deceived into thinking they can escape from fully locked subs by a blog post containing the words "Late escapes aren

4kac9FD.jpg

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2015/01/the-three-ways-to-escape-any-submission/

Posted on January 18, 2015 by Stephan Kesting

Man, I have tons of respect for you, but your article is highly deceiving, border line malicious I would say. Saying that you CAN escape any submission, even if its fully locked, its just lying. I realize you were pretty cautious when explaining the app, and that you carefully picked a submission that you can actually escape even if its fully locked, but there is no chance in hell to get out of a fully locked RNC, or even a triangle (unless you are a freak of nature thats inmune to arm in chokes) or the person applying is not very good.

Seriously, your title makes the whole app look like what a "become a ninja in 3 weeks" app would look like...

It's called marketing. Relax man he isn't selling snake oil. A lot if what he wrote is true anyway.

Hes selling an app, is just not his blog, and the title is misleading, as well as the article doesnt specify that there are certain subs that cannot be escaped once they are fully locked.

Well it is a blog post but clearly relating to his app.

Where does it say that his app will teach you how to escape any locked in submission being applied by a suitably expert person?

He's not making any guarantees and anyone bothering to read the blog post will see he clearly states that late escapes are not always effective.

there is no way to escape a fully applied RNC by performed by a competent grappler.

I dunno man, in the heat of the moment people make mistakes. I've seen plenty of high level grapplers' RNCs fail due to the opponent pulling away the locking hand and fighting their way out. It happens in MMA all the time. I'll bet that if you put a fully locked RNC or triangle on Marcelo Garcia or Roger Gracie (or maybe the guy in your AV) they would get out most of the time. Rickson used to do that kind of thing in the day - go to a local gym and let the blackbelt put him in a fully locked sub, then escape and sub him.

I don't see anything wrong with Kesting's text you posted. Obviously it is much harder to escape a deep sub than preventing it in the first place - but there are escapes out there. But by saying "hail mary" and "lower percentage" he's obviously acknowledging they won't work every time or anything crazy like that.

Rage you aren't a native English speaker right? Maybe that's some of the problem. The way he wrote it doesn't seem to indicate the impression you got.

I dunno man, in the heat of the moment people make mistakes. I've seen plenty of high level grapplers' RNCs fail due to the opponent pulling away the locking hand and fighting their way out. It happens in MMA all the time. I'll bet that if you put a fully locked RNC on Marcelo Garcia or Roger Gracie (or maybe the guy in your AV) they would get out most of the time. Rickson used to do that kind of thing in the day - go to a local gym and let the blackbelt put him in a fully locked sub, then escape and sub him.

plenty of RNC are escaped, but they are not fully locked, fully locked means hand behind the head, not on top of the head (even if the choking arm is under the chin), which is normally how poeple do it in MMA (due to gloves making it very hard to slide the hand behind the neck). Regarding your question on MArcelo or Roger, I wont comment on myself, saying I could choke out roger or marcelo even if they let me get the choked fully locked is just an insult. But Im sure as hell no one is escaping Roger RNC, nor Marcelos, nor Roger or Marcelo or any competent grappler.

Rickson is not human, so he doesnt count :icon_chee

Rage you aren't a native English speaker right? Maybe that's some of the problem. The way he wrote it doesn't seem to indicate the impression you got.

hmm could be... Im mainly complaining about the title though, the title is whats most misleading.

Last edited:
Back