Stephan Bonnar doesn't belong in the UFC hall of fame

GuanoApes

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
His only wins over decent competition I recognize is Terry Martin, Krzysztof Soszinski, Sam Hoger, and Eric Schafer.

His win over Jardine doesn't count.

His 1st fight with Forrest could of been a dud and the UFC would of done justttt fine.

His 1st fight with Forrest could of been a dud and the UFC would of done justttt fine.

Allegedly that isn't true. That fight and its importance to the momentum shift of the company is the reason for Stephan Bonnar's place in the UFC's goofy little "Hall of Fame"

He is 8-7, no notable top wins or title wins.

I agree, but he was exciting every time out, i respect the man.

Forrest is even questionable, but at least won the belt, and beat icons like Franklin, Tito, Shogun and Rampage.

create your own HoF. It would be just as legitimate

Bonnar is only there because of that tuf finale fight that launched the ufc

His only wins over decent competition I recognize is Terry Martin, Krzysztof Soszinski, Sam Hoger, and Eric Schafer.

His win over Jardine doesn't count.

Could HAVE, would HAVE. Jesus, I can't take you seriously if you can't get that right.

Why doesn't the Jardine fight count?

& isn't the Griffin vs Bonnar fight in the HOF? Not them as fighters?

I have to say, I don't even recognize the guys you mentioned in the OP. "The Mask" is probably the most unfit to be in the Hall of Fame now though. With the Reebok deal, his influence in selling "Bad shirts" is all but gone.

May not agree but "The bout was voted fight of the year by a poll of over 19,000 readers of the website MMAWeekly.com, and was recognized as the 2005 Shoot Match of the Year by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. The fight was credited by Dana White as the "most important fight in UFC history". The fight was also voted the greatest fight in UFC history in 2009."

It drew in a shit ton of new fans, for better or worse according to 'elitist assholes' -- and I recall shortly after even this site gained thousands of people... including myself.

I was playing an online game with the fight on in the background, and the game stopped as people tuned into the fight... and the whole chat turned into "holy shit" comments.

I have been a fan since highschool just hit 32 a couple days ago, and I was like... VINDICATION BABY! FINALLY THIS SPORT WILL GET SOME MAINSTREAM ATTENTION.

SO while he isn't worthy as a spectacular fighter, he was directly involved in one of the moments that launched it into mainstream popularity.

Take it how you will.

I think Mask is who we should be worrying about...

Why doesn't the Jardine fight count?

& isn't the Griffin vs Bonnar fight in the HOF? Not them as fighters?

Jardine gets shit on too much.

He beat Forrest, and Chuck.

Those are great LHW wins.

He got brutally finished a bunch of times yes.

But he also almost beat Rampage over 3 rounds.

May not agree but "The bout was voted fight of the year by a poll of over 19,000 readers of the website MMAWeekly.com, and was recognized as the 2005 Shoot Match of the Year by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. The fight was credited by Dana White as the "most important fight in UFC history". The fight was also voted the greatest fight in UFC history in 2009."

It drew in a shit ton of new fans, for better or worse according to 'elitist assholes' -- and I recall shortly after even this site gained thousands of people... including myself.

I was playing an online game with the fight on in the background, and the game stopped as people tuned into the fight... and the whole chat turned into "holy shit" comments.

I have been a fan since highschool just hit 32 a couple days ago, and I was like... VINDICATION BABY! FINALLY THIS SPORT WILL GET SOME MAINSTREAM ATTENTION.

SO while he isn't worthy as a spectacular fighter, he was directly involved in one of the moments that launched it into mainstream popularity.

Take it how you will.

I see.

Jardine gets shit on too much.

He beat Forrest, and Chuck.

Those are great LHW wins.

He got brutally finished a bunch of times yes.

Well, Jardine got robbed against Bonnar, if you saw the fight..

He helped Dana make a lot of money off his fight with Forrrest, and he's a good company man/shill...he belongs.

Naw, not really. Jardine tried running around. He landed good on Rampage once, moved in to attack and ended up getting wobbled by Rampage. He couldn't seriously hurt Rampage.

Jardine tried the Forrest tactic, instead of the way he fought Chuck or Wanderlei. Which he fought like a warrior.

Back