Stefan Struve's heart condition improves, still determined to return to UFC

The amount of punishment that he has taken at 25 should be enough. I second him retiring...rather not see the first DEATH in the octogon.

Inb4 "Dana will cut him after first loss"

Find Dana's comments about this. He's saying he will/should retire.

What Dana cant or wont say is the UFC, it's insurance company and doctors will never clear him to fight in the UFC . We wont take that risk & you will never see Stefan Struve fight in the UFC again. This will most likely never be said.

Struve wants to fight again and he might somewhere else one day. It sucks but like others have said maybe the best thing for his long term health to not fight again. At least at the highest level against the biggest and baddest.

Hope to see him back in the Octagon soon. Love watching him fight.

Find Dana's comments about this. He's saying he will/should retire.

What Dana cant or wont say is the UFC, it's insurance company and doctors will never clear him to fight in the UFC . We wont take that risk & you will never see Stefan Struve fight in the UFC again. This will most likely never be said.

Struve wants to fight again and he might somewhere else one day. It sucks but like others have said maybe the best thing for his long term health to not fight again. At least at the highest level against the biggest and baddest.

Fighters have competed in the UFC with brain aneurysms once they get cleared by doctors.

But if he goes back to training on a regular basis won't it eventually just get larger again? I don't want to see Struve's career cut short like this but at the same time I don't want to see him drop dead via heart attack at a young age like the former basketball player Reggie Lewis.

But if he goes back to training on a regular basis won't it eventually just get larger again? I don't want to see Struve's career cut short like this but at the same time I don't want to see him drop dead via heart attack at a young age like the former basketball player Reggie Lewis.

He's back into training to basically find out.

Fighters have competed in the UFC with brain aneurysms once they get cleared by doctors.

Was this during recent times where fighters are now insured?

Dan Hardy has competed in the UFC with his condition before but the UFC won't ever let him again. This is the Fox, we'll be as big as soccer, legalize in NY, this sport is a safe as it gets era. Guys hvae made tastless jokes in he past pre-Fox and nothing happened. Things have changed and this is more life and death then non PC jokes.

There's a kick boxer named Mark Miller who had the same thing and is back fighting now. Idk why Stefan wouldn't be able to.

Stefan Struve is one lucky person that his doctors didn't have to do open heart surgery. I was diagnosed with a very bad leakage in my heart back in early 1986 when I was just two years old. The doctors told my parents the only thing that they could was emergency open heart surgery and well hope for a miracle. My cardiologist Dr. Reitman and my surgeon Dr. Damis told my father that my chances of surviving the surgery were very low. I only found out recently that my chances were 10% and that was even if the surgery was successful.

Had a second open heart surgery when I was 12 to clean up some stuff. I am now 29 and a very healthy male with only a heart murmur to show from when I was born and oh a nice scar down my chest :D.

Glad Stefan Struve didn't have to go down the surgery route. That shit is scary especially when it involves the heart. Hes hoping he can come back to MMA

in sparta you would have been thrown in the dead baby pit. but now you're here clouding the gene pool.

Was this during recent times where fighters are now insured?

Dan Hardy has competed in the UFC with his condition before but the UFC won't ever let him again. This is the Fox, we'll be as big as soccer, legalize in NY, this sport is a safe as it gets era. Guys hvae made tastless jokes in he past pre-Fox and nothing happened. Things have changed and this is more life and death then non PC jokes.

Robert Drysdale

There's a kick boxer named Mark Miller who had the same thing and is back fighting now. Idk why Stefan wouldn't be able to.

And he had open heart surgery. Didn't he post on here right before the comeback fight?

Edit: nope. I was thinking of Aleksander Stojkovic after his stroke.

Great news - I wish Stefan all the best!

Robert Drysdale

Good point, forget about that. I still think this might be a case of perception over reality. I'm sure the docs, Dana, suits at Zuffa, ins. comp will have a discussion about this. Unlike Drysdale you can make like a 8- 10 min highlight of just Struve's UFC fights and see highlights of massive fighters like Morecraft bouncing his head off the mat for like 5 minutes straight. Stojnic beatin him to a bloody pulp for a rnd, Buentello smashing on him and dropping him, Browne, Nelson, Hunt unloading massive shots on his head. Even Stipe and Hermann tagging him for a good 5 mins. He also had like 20 fights pre-UFC where he takes damage. Someone might even say after the violent highlight Keep in mind a bunch of those highlights were from fights he was succesful in and won. Not a good sign. They'll have to ask the question. Do we want this 26 yr old with documented problems fighting HW's in the UFC for the next 10 years?

I agree. Better safe than sorry. We don't need him dead and the ufc doesn't need it's first death. I'd rather work at McDonald's for the rest of my life then drop dead in the octagon because of a heart condition.

F that. Leave burger flipping to the no hopers and take the risk. No brainer.

good to hear, keep fighting for your dream stefan

Good point, forget about that. I still think this might be a case of perception over reality. I'm sure the docs, Dana, suits at Zuffa, ins. comp will have a discussion about this. Unlike Drysdale you can make like a 8- 10 min highlight of just Struve's UFC fights and see highlights of massive fighters like Morecraft bouncing his head off the mat for like 5 minutes straight. Stojnic beatin him to a bloody pulp for a rnd, Buentello smashing on him and dropping him, Browne, Nelson, Hunt unloading massive shots on his head. Even Stipe and Hermann tagging him for a good 5 mins. He also had like 20 fights pre-UFC where he takes damage. Someone might even say after the violent highlight Keep in mind a bunch of those highlights were from fights he was succesful in and won. Not a good sign. They'll have to ask the question. Do we want this 26 yr old with documented problems fighting HW's in the UFC for the next 10 years?

And if he were in the same boat as Drysdale with the aneurysm I would agree 100%. The potential for him taking a lethal shot. If he can get his heart back to where it needs to be, and his doctors are in agreement, then I think he should be allowed to fight. If that is the decision that he makes.

I read this news on facebook as well. Great news!
Hopefully he will be 100% healthy soon
And of course i'm looking forward to see him back in the octagon, a great sportsman it is.

Back