Staying in shape while injured

jerellem

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
If you had a right knee injury that made it to where you could hardly put any weight on your right leg, how would you stay in shape and strong? I was planning on fighting MMA in October but I don't know now. How can I still stay active? Also, how could I still better myself as a fighter?

It's gonna be hard to stay in shape. Just eat right, sleep right and rehab if you can.

Can you swim? That would be a good option for conditioning. You should still be able to do plenty of strength work for everything above the knee. The usual upper body stuff, but plenty of "core" work too. Reverse hypers, back extensions, or bent leg back extensions, would allow you to train the hips - you can work up to loading them fairly heavy. Training the uninjured leg will also help - it will actually help maintain the neurological adaptations in the injured leg.

But as for actually training MMA - there's probably not a lot you can do.

Last edited:
If you had a right knee injury that made it to where you could hardly put any weight on your right leg, how would you stay in shape and strong? I was planning on fighting MMA in October but I don't know now. How can I still stay active? Also, how could I still better myself as a fighter?

What's the injury and what does your doctor/PT say are the things you can't do?

Also, recumbent bike. No weight on the leg, improve circulation to the affected region, still get to have some stimulus for your legs. The staple of my time as a cripple.

I'm coming off a lower body injury myself, probably not as bad as yours, out of action for about 3-4 weeks. I don't know what you're capable of doing (if anything) but you will most likely lose strength. My advice is find something that you're able to do, at first for me it was the spin bike, then I was able to do some high box squats. Some activity is much better than none, as long as it doesn't aggravate the injury further.

What's the injury and what does your doctor/PT say are the things you can't do?

Well, I haven't been seen yet, as I just did it yesterday, but I've hurt myself a lot and this may be the worst injury so far. I have a doc appt for Monday so I'll get official word then. After googling, I THINK I have a torn meniscus. As far as what I can and can't do, it hurts to walk. So, I can't really put weight on it.

Was about to make the same exact thread. I currently have a very badly strained groin from BJJ (heard and felt it "pop" 2 months ago, still hurts) and finally saw a Dr about it. He wants me start up physical therapy but avoid any unecessary lower body exertion for now. Gave me the go ahead for upper body stuff.

If anyone has been in a similar position let me know what you did to work around it. The doc made it sound like it might be a couple months before I can load up the bar and squat heavy again.

isometrics are often used in rehab and can be a very good option to get some force to the muscles without hitting the joints in painful angles. it helps with minimizing muscle and nerve atrophy which is the biggest problem of immobile joints

Is just pull a ripskater and pray. That should fix you right up.

If I hurt my knee bad, I'd probably rehab and do whatever upper body work I could do along with grip work. Honestly though, I'm sure my training time would be cut down and I'd look at it as a period of rest or to focus on another hobby.

Back