STATIC Episode 1: Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen

That you're an idiot.

Every great fighter with enough fights losses eventually. Fighters are also capable of improving over time.

646040_1.jpg

gspserra2_medium.gif

Those two were in their primes when they lost.

And last time i checked Sonnen lost 3/4 of his last fights.

It still makes me uncomfortable to hear Anderson preaching respect.

He's p4p the most disrespectful guy I've ever seen compete in the sport.

And Chael is actually extremely respectful, when not picking a fight. The way he spoke about Shogun in the latest interview, how he talked about Stann and Bisping or Jon Jones, even Vitor.

Chael is only "disrespectful" if there is a financial angle to it. Anderson's disrespect/arrogance is genuine, and has nothing to do with picking a fight.

But a LOT of people especially on Sherdog seem to struggle with this distinction. Anderson is seen as a respectful and humble martial artist and Chael is seen as an arrogant asshole. Funny thing is, reality is almost completely reversed :D

Claude ruining this thread because he can't accept that GSP/Anderson are greater than Fedor.

Must be a very sad life to live.

And last time i checked Sonnen lost 3/4 of his last fights.

Really? That argument?

Who did Chael lose to? Twice to Anderson Silva (top 3 of all time). Jon Jones (GOAT), Rashad Evans (waaaay too big for Chael).

You can thank Silva's weak wrestling for this "rivalry".

Let's be honest here, Cheal Sonnen is not a great fighter, not even close. The guy has 14 losses for a reason. It wouldn't even be a stretch to call him a low tier fighter considering he has a losing record at LHW. The thing is that his biggest strength was Silva's biggest weakness, thus he was able to almost beat Anderson, and then build up his persona around almost beating Silva, being the "champ", holding a fake belt, etc.

Anderson Silva made Chael Sonnen what he is today. No elite fighter should ever struggle with a Sonnen caliber fighter. It just happens that MW used to have a non well rounded champion. Sure it was great for business and all. I'm sure lot's of kids were very excited about the rematch. Fight wise though, it was mediocre at best. It wasn't elite vs. elite. No Ali vs. Foreman or Fedor vs. Nog. Just a great fighter with a sticking weakness vs. a low tier fighter who matched up well with him, nothing else.

lol you are a moron. Basically your only point is that he's lost 3 out of his last 4 fights. Those losses were against Rashad, Jones and Anderson, all great fighters. Most of his losses before that were fights that he was dominating and got caught with a submission or something. Chael is a great fighter. you even don't even consider Anderson an 'elite' fighter? LOL

Last edited:
Claude ruining this thread because he can't accept that GSP/Anderson are greater than Fedor.

Must be a very sad life to live.

All GOAT talks are basicly between Fedor/GSP/Jones.

A. Silva is out of the picture at this point.

Really? That argument?

Who did Chael lose to? Twice to Anderson Silva (top 3 of all time). Jon Jones (GOAT), Rashad Evans (waaaay too big for Chael).

So he only lost to good fighters, let's give him a title shot then

:icon_lol:

lol you are a moron. Basically your only point is that he's lost 3 out of his last 4 fights. Those losses were against Rashad, Jones and Anderson, all great fighters. Most of his losses before that were fights that he was dominating and got caught with a submission or something. Chael is a great fighter. you even don't even consider Anderson an 'elite' fighter? LOL

Usually, a wrestler with no sub defense will dominate the fight, until he gets subbed :icon_idea

Doesn't make him any better.

14 losses, had to drop to MW.

Give it a thought.

what is your point lol

No point. Somebody quoted me and posted a couple of pictures with Sonnen winning fights, so i just threw a bunch of pictures with Sonnen losing fights.

And i must say, that was easy. There's plenty of material.

All GOAT talks are basicly between Fedor/GSP/Jones.

A. Silva is out of the picture at this point.

So he only lost to good fighters, let's give him a title shot then

:icon_lol:

Usually, a wrestler with no sub defense will dominate the fight, until he gets subbed :icon_idea

Doesn't make him any better.

14 losses, had to drop to MW.

Give it a thought.

No point. Somebody quoted me and posted a couple of pictures with Sonnen winning fights, so i just threw a bunch of pictures with Sonnen losing fights.

And i must say, that was easy. There's plenty of material.

Only according to you, the most delusional poster on this site, that feels the need to bash every fighter other than CroCop and Fedor.

When will the grieving end for you?

JZ you say?

So I should expect a hilariously horrible product that he will market to a certain demographic and convince them it's incredibly good while raking in millions upon millions of dollars?

You can thank Silva's weak wrestling for this "rivalry".

Let's be honest here, Cheal Sonnen is not a great fighter, not even close. The guy has 14 losses for a reason. It wouldn't even be a stretch to call him a low tier fighter considering he has a losing record at LHW. The thing is that his biggest strength was Silva's biggest weakness, thus he was able to almost beat Anderson, and then build up his persona around almost beating Silva, being the "champ", holding a fake belt, etc.

Anderson Silva made Chael Sonnen what he is today. No elite fighter should ever struggle with a Sonnen caliber fighter. It just happens that MW used to have a non well rounded champion. Sure it was great for business and all. I'm sure lot's of kids were very excited about the rematch. Fight wise though, it was mediocre at best. It wasn't elite vs. elite. No Ali vs. Foreman or Fedor vs. Nog. Just a great fighter with a sticking weakness vs. a low tier fighter who matched up well with him, nothing else.

There's a difference between good fighters and elite fighter. Just because Chael has lost a bunch of times to the absolute cream of the crop doesn't mean that he isn't any good.

It wouldn't even be a stretch to call him a low tier fighter considering he has a losing record at LHW.
Yes it would be a huge stretch to say that. I agree with the general point that the perception of his abilities was blown up due to the fact he matched up well with Silva, but it's not like any Johnny Wrestler could have just walked in at any moment and given Silva all he could handle. We saw Silva defeat Dan Henderson, who had just outwrestled Rampage for most of the grappling portions when they fought. We saw him deny Maia every single takedown attempt, when we have seen Maia is quite effective with his takedowns including against Chael Sonnen(He also took Shields down 4 times while only being taken down once himself). We saw him beat Yushin Okami, historically one of the best top game grapplers in the history of the division. When he did fall, it wasn't even due to Weidman's wrestling, as he had much more success defendind Chris' takedowns than Chael's. Chael Sonnen may not be an all time great, but he has a style of wrestling that's very rare in this sport and he does it at a high level.

There's a difference between good fighters and elite fighter. Just because Chael has lost a bunch of times to the absolute cream of the crop doesn't mean that he isn't any good.

I didn't know Babalu, Forrest, Horn, etc. were the cream of the crop. That's news to me.

Yes it would be a huge stretch to say that. I agree with the general point that the perception of his abilities was blown up due to the fact he matched up well with Silva, but it's not like any Johnny Wrestler could have just walked in at any moment and given Silva all he could handle. We saw Silva defeat Dan Henderson, who had just outwrestled Rampage for most of the grappling portions when they fought. We saw him deny Maia every single takedown attempt, when we have seen Maia is quite effective with his takedowns including against Chael Sonnen(He also took Shields down 4 times while only being taken down once himself). We saw him beat Yushin Okami, historically one of the best top game grapplers in the history of the division. When he did fall, it wasn't even due to Weidman's wrestling, as he had much more success defendind Chris' takedowns than Chael's. Chael Sonnen may not be an all time great, but he has a style of wrestling that's very rare in this sport and he does it at a high level.

My statement regarded his career at 205, which has been subpar.

Sure he dropped weight and became "elite". Not that hard to do at MW though. That division has a history of being a nice and warm shelter to 205. Several fighters who simply couldn't cut it at LHW dropped and became either top ranked for the first time ever, elite or revived their careers.

Sonnen was one of them.

Back