State of the Union

The horror of helping people go to school and not having to kill themselves in the process. An easier path to education. Oh the horror.

Wonder what benifits society as a whole more over the long term. Future Einsteins spreading an extra 60 hours a week coming up with new stuff or washing pots....

Yes, those are things people look at to gauge the strength of the economy. A few examples are unemployment rate, CPI, GDP, stock market prices, just to name a few. You know, the things people who know what the hell they're talking about look at.

Lol! But you didn't even explain why you think that's end of discussion. The deficit has been cut in half since he's taken office! And the CBO is projecting that the ACA is going to be a massive deficit reducer over the next 10 years. Congrats you win the internet.

Your view is like looking at a Company's financials and bitching about their liabilities without looking at their sales or what assets they own.

Exactly.

Counting Intragovernmental debt and Implicit debt is not relevant to the discussion (and pointless); and the ignoring of total assets and net worth is annoying.

This is not also counting the important role that American financial institutions play in the world and how their collapse spells a collapse and lack of credit for many parts of the world.

At least that is how I see it.

The old "my head is stuck up Bush Jr's ass retort"

Ya the democrats kicked the economy off the cliff. You mean the largest global economic meltdown ever.

Yeah that didn't happen under Obamas watch. So tell me how he kicked it off the cliff when it already fell, caught on fire and had animals piss on it before his first term
In office.

The revisionist history of the moron tea party. Go back and play hand puppet to the GOP. you clearly don't like reality or facts like most of the far right nut jobs we have here.

Bush fucking sucked donkey dick as well. Not a fan of either one of them.

The horror of helping people go to school and not having to kill themselves in the process. An easier path to education. Oh the horror.

Hmmm, I did go a couple of year on an athletic scholarship but most of my education was paid for by working a job while going to school. Dad didn't pay for a dime of it. 250 credit hours and all but 30 of it was from a job.

My grandmother was able to go to college and become a school teacher by hoeing cotton and other agricultural labor.

Working your way though college will not kill you.

In response to this part (above). A) mandate drug and alcohol testing for those on wellfare/foodstamps and I'm ok with it.
They tried that in Fl recently. What they found was that the cost of testing was considerably greater than the savings garnered based on how many people were kicked off. I suspect that's generalizable though of course we don't really know. I do have a question though, given the same motivation shouldn't every outside contractor paid even indirectly be drug tested too?

B) Working at the local McDonalds with a GED/Diploma or no GED/Diploma you should make 15 bucks an hour? Maybe people should use it to get by and motivate themselves to strive to get better. I worked shit jobs for a very long time but in my mind I kept telling myself I want to be better than this and I will be better than this in the future. Keep working hard.... Instead we incourage people do less and be given more paid by the tax payers.
Part of the problem, however, is that with really low wages people have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet. As a result they can't "get better". I recall reading awhile back that most adults making minimum wage work multiple jobs. That doesn't lend much time or energy to break the cycle. Moreover, at those low wages even a loss that you or I might shrug about can be absolutely devastating.

Don't you think that's more of an indicator that people aren't getting payed high enough wages by their employers? People on welfare/foodstamaps aren't necessarily unemployed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In response to this part (above). A) mandate drug and alcohol testing for those on wellfare/foodstamps and I'm ok with it. B) Working at the local McDonalds with a GED/Diploma or no GED/Diploma you should make 15 bucks an hour? Maybe people should use it to get by and motivate themselves to strive to get better. I worked shit jobs for a very long time but in my mind I kept telling myself I want to be better than this and I will be better than this in the future. Keep working hard.... Instead we incourage people do less and be given more paid by the tax payers.

why would you test them for drinking? that's legal. further, they have tried this and the drug testing costs FAR more than the savings from kicking people off public assistance.

and don't you think it's kind of stupid to complain that there aren't enough jobs and then complain at the same time about people on public assistance needing to simply "work harder"?

How is making it easier for people to get an education bad?

2 year colleges offer a lot of trade skills if I am not mistaken and a lot of lower class people can definitely climb up if they maintain the required GPA and have the school paid for. If anything this proposal seems be a way to bring many people into the Middle Class.

Don't you think that's more of an indicator that people aren't getting payed high enough wages by their employers? People on welfare/foodstamaps aren't necessarily unemployed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In response to this part (above). A) mandate drug and alcohol testing for those on wellfare/foodstamps and I'm ok with it. B) Working at the local McDonalds with a GED/Diploma or no GED/Diploma you should make 15 bucks an hour? Maybe people should use it to get by and motivate themselves to strive to get better. I worked shit jobs for a very long time but in my mind I kept telling myself I want to be better than this and I will be better than this in the future. Keep working hard.... Instead we incourage people do less and be given more paid by the tax payers.

Again 20% of Americans welfare =/= 20% of Americans are lazy unemployed slobs that hate hard work. That kind of thinking is lazy and hates hard work.

The gas price thing alone proved that article was nonsense. Rather than thinking about the big picture, it chose to do this instead:

YlPcpqK.gif

How is making it easier for people to get an education bad?

2 year colleges offer a lot of trade skills if I am not mistaken and a lot of lower class people can definitely climb up if they maintain the required GPA and have the school paid for. If anything this proposal seems be a way to bring many people into the Middle Class.

it's bad because it's obama's idea.

it's bad because it's obama's idea.
Well, to be fair, there has been opposition to even the original GI Bill and its post-9/11 successor.
Frankly, I think the most salient issue is what does "work it off" mean. I'd have no problem with that being something like expanded AmeriCorp service (which currently allows loan deferment).

The posts in this thread are hilarious....and they aren't trying to be.

Back