STATE OF EMERGENCY: Bellator's MW Division

put the belt on freeze, move Halsey up to 205 and heavily recruit all top MW prospects
maybe a have a little contender tournament like Glory has with Sordi, Reiter, Carvalho & Kato
or have Lima move up in weight, King Mo move down
Halsey, King Mo, Lima, & Carmont in title tournament

Welcome to world of a Scott Coker run promotion.

This is nothing new for Coker. With Stirkeforce the match making made little to no sense at many times. Coker goes for entertaining/rating match ups over a ranking structure system all day long. It works here and there but it always seem like there is no one steering the ship. You'll have cases like you do in MW right now. You'll have issues like you do at HW. Guys will fall between the cracks and have hard time getting match ups. Basically Coker tries to do interesting(sometimes freak match ups) match ups and pulls a tournament out of his ass every once in a while, this is what he does. Otherwise more times than not its a free for all. Entertaining for fans for awhile, but over time fans will start to scratch there heads with the match making and business moves.

The worst part is the lack of transparency.

Why is nobody acknowledging the fact that their MW division is basically nonexistent or that their HW division champ hasn't fought in over 16 months?!?

Personally I like most of what Coker has been doing, but this is just getting ridiculous!

Whoever wins Grove v Beltran gets to fight Carvalho for the title. Put it on a tentpole for attention (this assumes Halsey is going LHW).

Why is nobody acknowledging the fact that their MW division is basically nonexistent or that their HW division champ hasn't fought in over 16 months?!?

Personally I like most of what Coker has been doing, but this is just getting ridiculous!

Just wish someone would ask Coker WTF are you doing with the HW title, is Minakov gonna fight for you guys again or what? If not strip him.

If that was UFC its all Dana would be asked about, but in Bellator nobody cares.

Bellator needs to go the way of WEC and only promote lower weight fights. 135, 145, 155, and 170 would do them a lot better. MW and HW are pathethic to be honest and their LHW division's better but I don't think it's that much better.

This would definitely not be a smart idea, going full WEC means losing their cash cows like Kimbo, Lashley, and Tito. Also, I'm sure they don't want to lose guys like McGeary, Halsey, or Minakov to the UFC or WSOF, there's a reason Minakov hasn't been stripped/released yet. How many guys besides Chandler and Guillard are well known by fans that are below 185?

They are not the UFC. They are not running 50 events a year. They need to showcase the fighters that will bring ratings so Viacom will keep giving them money.

Its pretty damn easy to figure out what Coker is doing, and just like with Strikeforce he is doing the right thing.

If their potential star MW champion wouldnt have showed up like a LHW we wouldnt even be having this conversation.

But the point is, when you run limited events and you must get the highest ratings possible you do exactly what Scott Coker is doing.

Back