STATE OF EMERGENCY: Bellator's MW Division

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by epathebay, Aug 18, 2015.

1. epathebay

epathebay Green Belt

Alright guys, we are in crisis mode.

Bellator's Middleweight division is crashing and burning before our eyes.

-The champ misses weight by almost 5 lbs

-Number 1 contender leaves

-Exciting prospect gets brutally KO'd by a no-name

WTF is going on and what can be done???

The ONLY option = 8 MAN TOURNAMENT

Halsey
    Rhino
    Manhoef
    Grove/Beltran winner
    Reiter
    Sordi/Mathews winner
    Kato
    Schilling

extras: Cooper, Carvalho?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  2. TheBrownRanger

TheBrownRanger Brown Belt

Now that I think about it, I believe this is the only way to build this division back up. I literally cannot name a guy outside of Halsey or Carvalho that can warrant a MW title shot right now.

3. Momentosis

Momentosis King Whitebelt

Who's the MW champ?

4. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

sad division....coker has done nothing to build up challengers and the champ most likely will move to lhw

5. TheBrownRanger

TheBrownRanger Brown Belt

I agree, makes me long for the days of Shlemenko being champ and guys like Cooper and Rhino fighting it out in the tournaments. That was probably when the division was at it's peak because, even in the Lombard days, it wasn't that great. All in all, it's always been a weak division

6. VulcanNervPinch

VulcanNervPinch Silver Belt

Tamdan leaving definitely hurt

7. epathebay

epathebay Green Belt

Plus Storm getting banned for a ridiculous 3 years!

Sure he would probably never win the belt again but he would always available for a good fight.

8. LHWBelt

LHWBelt Silver Belt

Bellator needs to go the way of WEC and only promote lower weight fights. 135, 145, 155, and 170 would do them a lot better. MW and HW are pathethic to be honest and their LHW division's better but I don't think it's that much better.

9. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Coker needs his go to move, what old UFC MW is about to be a free agent? Hendo? Machida?

Thats what they need, sign some guys who are already names cause they aint building any MW stars.

10. WarriorPoet1

WarriorPoet1 Purple Belt

I have to agree even if they kept Barn Cat what would've happend him vs the winner of Grove Vs Beltran that's just not acceptable

11. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Maybe if Mo loses in the LHW tournament he thinks about a MW move, I dont know if he can make the weight or not but if he can I'd favor him to win MW title in Bellator.

12. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

It's not in good shape. Bellator isn't in great shape IMO. It's either Coker or the Viacom suits getting their way...but they have destroyed a good thing. They still have a lot of talent scattered across the roster, but everything seems so stagnant with them. It used to be that i saw a weak division in Bellator and figured that it could have some new life in it by next season..because of all the fight cards and new blood coming in the org. Now, a weak division seems irreparable

They could have reformed the seasonal/tournament model without completely killing it. I'm still not over them killing a promising alternative MMA league and replacing it with just another MMA org with crash TV elements.

MEXICO!!

13. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

wait... did the OP just imply that schilling was an exciting prospect?

14. VIP1349

VIP1349 Silver Belt

What you guys don't realize is that 185 in General outside of UFC is bad. In the UFC it's one of their most exciting divisions but they have all the talent. It has never been good since its inception in Bellator. Nor will it get good any time soon.

A tourney helps in some ways but there are few new options as is. You do a tourney, they all go away.

Will be a slow build. Just do Halsey vs whoever you find most deserving. Sadly probably ends up the Grove/Beltran winner. Do that for the belt and keep it moving.

15. Kinger85

Kinger85 Gold Belt

state of emergency???? Bit of an over reaction don't you think?

But if they do it as a one night tourney, I'm down.

16. epathebay

epathebay Green Belt

maybe not exciting as a serious long term title challenger. But if Schilling got the nod in the split decision loss to Carvalho (which most people think he won) plus picked up a win over Kato, a fight versus Halsey would be very sellable.

Sure he would've probably lost but at least it would've put some light on the division

Schilling is one of Bellator biggest stars, the more success he has the better it is for the company

17. VIP1349

VIP1349 Silver Belt

Schilling is not a star. Stop with this weird statement. He was intriguing but he didn't draw ratings. Wasn't like the "giant" kickboxing fan base followed him.

He was a fun cross over guy that maybe had he been able to win in both could have grown into a star. But there were not many people tuning in for Schilling.

They don't have a single draw at 185 right now. Making it too big of a focus would be a mistake. Isn't a state of emergency it's always going to be a division that just won't matter.

They have talent at 145, 155 and 205. Those are their big money divisions.

18. epathebay

epathebay Green Belt

He has more IG followers than any of their champs you goof.

lol not hating. I agree he's not a Tito or Kimbo kind of draw but he's still a solid name to have on a card. That Manhoef KO will be featured in Bellator highlights for the rest of its existence.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  19. skylolow

skylolow Silver Belt

Welcome to world of a Scott Coker run promotion.

This is nothing new for Coker. With Stirkeforce the match making made little to no sense at many times. Coker goes for entertaining/rating match ups over a ranking structure system all day long. It works here and there but it always seem like there is no one steering the ship. You'll have cases like you do in MW right now. You'll have issues like you do at HW. Guys will fall between the cracks and have hard time getting match ups. Basically Coker tries to do interesting(sometimes freak match ups) match ups and pulls a tournament out of his ass every once in a while, this is what he does. Otherwise more times than not its a free for all. Entertaining for fans for awhile, but over time fans will start to scratch there heads with the match making and business moves.

20. VIP1349

VIP1349 Silver Belt

And even if he does have more. It's proven to not matter come ratings time. So just because he had a cool knock out and got some IG followers from being on JRE and stuff. Doesn't make him a star.

He could have been had he gone on a run for sure. But with quite a few losses now he's more just stuck in the role of side attraction that will help bolster a good card.