State of Decay 2

Yeah dying light, dead island, dead rising. Sounds more of the same, but when i read 2 peeps saying they hate zombie games but liked this one, bugs included, im intrigued.

SoD is more simulation than the other games mentioned. You spend a lot of time building your base camp, scavenging for resources to build your defenses in the camp and level up your facilities. You find survivors as your running around completing missions, who go back to your base. Once you have collected a survivor the have their own unique stats and can switched to as your main character. There is perma death, so if your favorite character dies, there done for good. There are missions that progress the story, but you spend most of your time doing side missions, base building, and scavenging for resources.

I like all of the other zombie games, but they all feel very similar to each other. State of Decay offers a completely different feel over the games in the zombie genera.

The trailers for this are outstanding.

Many reviewers are not impressed by the Elder Scrolls amount of bugs. Was gonna wait for a steam release anyway, so i'm not in a rush to buy this. Hopefully, by then the game should be patched to a higher standard.

Played for about an hour and a half this morning before work. Pretty much the same exact game as the first although you don't have to hunt down companions to replace you when you're tired which is nice. It would drive me nuts in SOD1 having to walk all over the outpost trying to find someone.

And darkness in this game is DARK. The flashlight seems weaker outside than in a building. Tempted to turn up the gamma but wanna keep it realistic. No bugs yet.

I'd checked out a few vids of the first one before, thought it looked neat but never got around to it. Gonna see if I can pick this one up later when it's on sale.

I'd checked out a few vids of the first one before, thought it looked neat but never got around to it. Gonna see if I can pick this one up later when it's on sale.

You can spend $10 for a month of Gamepass and play it free.

Oh you're on pc...still only $30

I'm sitting here thinking I wont wait for steam, and just get it off the store. My conundrum is the dlc stuff. To plunge on the deluxe edition, or not to plunge on the deluxe edition?

I'm sitting here thinking I wont wait for steam, and just get it off the store. My conundrum is the dlc stuff. To plunge on the deluxe edition, or not to plunge on the deluxe edition?
Yeah I'm not sure what they have in store for dlc so I can't say. 1's dlc was ok but nothing to write home about. I paid the extra because I loved the first even without the dlc and wanted to support the 2nd game. Plus I have an open weekend and didn't want to wait lol

Was playing this morning and lost one of my survivors. Bad feels all around (literally - my camp is depressed now). Then they played the theme from the first sod which I loved. Was funny to me since I thought the SOD2 soundtrack was lacking but they brought some of the tunes from the first. Recycled, yeah but IDGAF.

Enjoying it so far. For newcomers to the series I'd compare this to Sims meets zombie apocalypse.

You're definitely not going to be liked by everyone and are gonna have to make decisions whether to help a rando calling for help on radio, get food supplies for your group, or hunt down the rare item trader in the area.

I can't see a scenario where you accomplish everything in one play through.

Was playing this morning and lost one of my survivors. Bad feels all around (literally - my camp is depressed now). Then they played the theme from the first sod which I loved. Was funny to me since I thought the SOD2 soundtrack was lacking but they brought some of the tunes from the first. Recycled, yeah but IDGAF.

Enjoying it so far. For newcomers to the series I'd compare this to Sims meets zombie apocalypse.

You're definitely not going to be liked by everyone and are gonna have to make decisions whether to help a rando calling for help on radio, get food supplies for your group, or hunt down the rare item trader in the area.

Have you had any issues with other groups of survivors?

How are the loyalty missions for survivors? they were pretty repetitive in the first one and hoping they update them.

How are the loyalty missions for survivors? they were pretty repetitive in the first one and hoping they update them.

I don't know if they got rid of loyalty missions or what, but I haven't encountered any. It seems like each character has their own set of missions now, although they've all been the standard "search this house for an item/help this person clear out zombies" missions like the first one.

Played it continuously over the weekend roughly 18-23 days in. I lost two survivors in my first game after a friend came across and we helped an enclave who turned on us. So i started a new one and that is my current one. I'm in an abandoned mall, I'm so self sufficient I don't worry about anymore items other than ammunition. I've just moved to this map after getting sick of my old map, I've got thousands of rounds of ammunition but barely any good guns, mostly glocks and AK47's. I have no .44 magnum rounds so I can't use a revolver I found. My friends come to my game to trade because I have so much ammo and resources. Usually I'll take guns for ammo lol.

At first I didn't like the game it was too much like the first one, but as I've gone on and gotten to the mid game it seems a lot better than the first and a lot more enjoyable.

Finished the game on one map, going to bring my legacy (basically NG+) group to another one.

Main bugs I encountered were doors appearing to be open but actually closed, and disappearing companions which really needs to be fixed. They're present and show up on the mini map, and they talk but they're invisible and don't fight. Took a restart to fix the three times it happened.

Also had two crashes in those 16 hours.

Last edited:
I'm playing it on Xbone and it took me FOREVER to figure out how to build an infirmary!

I'm having a ton of fun though! :)

I'm playing it on Xbone and it took me FOREVER to figure out how to build an infirmary!

I'm having a ton of fun though! :)

I never paid much attention to base building in the first one, but in this one I was really selective about who you let in the group based on their talents and my needs to build stuff like solar panels. It can get complicated.

Got my email this shipped today. Looking forward to some zombie slaying this weekend!

Back