Startnig the De La Riva

Bruce Calavera

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So usually when someone stands in my open guard I switch to the De La Riva. I've got an okay back take that doesn't require arm control but that's about it. Do you guys feel this is a guard that everyone should be using. Not much gets talked about in regard to this guard and I'm just curious about everyone's opinions. What do you guys think about it? Gi? Nogi? Standing? Combat based? Favorite techniques?

It's one of my favorite guards in the gi, I don't use it really no gi, only sometimes. I like it a lot because I can chain it with deep half, which is my best position, and I can switch to Reverse De La Riva or Spider. My favorite moves are the atos rolling back take, tomoe nage, One of the sweep that Cobrinha uses don't know the name, and a simple trip.

I've been using the DLR quite a bit lately. It's one of the areas I really want to work on. Cobrinha's video on it is really helpful.

I love DLR guard, it's pretty much my go-to open guard game.

The back take is great, transitioning to "situp guard" or deep half gives you lots of sweep options, and you can also transition to 50/50 guard pretty easily.

I do it equally in no-gi, while it's a little tricky because wrist control is harder than sleeve control and toeholds and kneebars are always a danger if you don't control one of his arms, you can still take the back and you can also situp, trap his leg with your legs, and stand up into a single leg takedown. The single leg from DLR guard is one of the most effective options if you want to quickly get to top position from open guard.

IMHO the butterfly/x guard game is very good for shorter-legged guys while DLR is often a more effective substitute for longer-legged guys like myself.

You should definitely have it in your open guard arsenal, but it's by no means your only option. For some it's their go-to, others know it but don't use it at all. I'll take it when there's a good opening for it, but it's not my A-game, and it's not as effective no gi. Also watch out for footlocks. My instructor catches me in a rolling calf slicer every time I go for it, which makes me a little reluctant to use it.

I used to use this a lot but I have a bunch of knee injuries and now I only use it to transition to DHG.

I need to find an open guard game that is light on the knees.

I'm interested in a no-gi de la riva

are there any videos of it?

I'm interested in a no-gi de la riva

are there any videos of it?

Watch Cobrinha vs Rafa Mendes at adcc.

I do DLR in nogi, but it's more of a quickly attack or transition to something else, position. I spend a lot of time spinning under for back takes and leg locks.

DLR is about the only open guard I can retain with any regularity.

You don't need any particular guard, but you need a guard(or really an option) for every particular situation. If you don't like DLR experiment with other options(x, spider, 50/50, or even standing up) to use instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back