1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Starting wrestling too late?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by zokce, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

I joined the wrestling team as a junior in high school. I really, really wish I started sooner. Take the chance that you have and join. It is not too late.

2. John Paul Borders Amateur Fighter

hey dude, im 16 going to 11th grade, i started this past year and its not that hard to pick up some decent wrestling skills. so im sure you'll be fine

3. MokeGrappler Orange Belt

15 going in to 9th grade? Were you held back? Moving passed that...

Im sure it will be fine tons of kids at my school start as freshmen or in 8th grade.

I wouldnt plan on being an MMA fighter just yet though:rolleyes:

4. Cardio King Blue Belt

Welcome: J Robinson Camps : Producing elite athletes with a nationally recognized program

The wrestling one.

28-day Intensive Camp, held at the University of Minnesota, the coaching staff is the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Heaven and Hell.

5. omgitsrick Green Belt

Most people I know start wrestling in highschool, 9th or 10th grade. Are you in the midwest or something?

6. brianX Green Belt

I started in 9th grade and was a 2x state champ. But I almost didn't go out for the team because I couldn't take the wrestling PE class in the fall. I thought I was too far behind to ever catch up.

Trust me, this is called "teenage stupidity." You don't realize you're stupid when you're a teenager, but you really are. Everybody is. Only it takes you about 15 years to realize how stupid you were.

7. No, no you're still fine getting into wrestling at that age. Think about some of the older guys we have in MMA who evolved into certain aspects of the sport. You've got guys fighting in their late thirties who are still very competitive.

8. Start up dude, if you're just doing it for MMA thats plenty of time to become an expert. Those technique camps are great for you and will make a hell of a difference if you join the team and compete on JV. I've been wrestling sice I was 7 and have been doing so for the past 11 years and seen kids who just started at like 15 or 16 have really fulfilling careers. Definitely do it

9. pittelp Smokin Joe belt winner

Just do it.

10. WrestlingNerd Green Belt

Yeah most people I know started fairly late and many become/became very good. Work hard and you'll be able to tune up some of the kids who have wrestled since they were young. Most kids start freshmen or sophmore year and many do very good. It's good you're starting during the summer it will help with the learning curve. I really wish I did more offseason earlier. Just work hard and put alot of time in and you will get good results.

11. lambo1231 White Belt

i started wrestling my junior year in highschool and i actually did pretty good. they started me off practicing with the other people who were new to the team and as i learned more i wrestled the more experienced team members. im sure it will be the same at wrestling camp.. im sure you wouldnt be the only one who hasnt had much experience in it. you'll be fine

12. knoxpk Black Belt

+1 for the "just do it crowd"..
    15 is still plenty young enough to learn the sport and you will get a valuable 4 years in a sport which is hard to find later on!

13. NoPain Green Belt

Well i train bjj since i was 19 and boxing and kick boxing since i was 18 and i'm 23 now and fighting my 1st fight soon , it's never too late if u got talent and when your an athletic guy.

wrestling is just a part of mma you don't have to be perfect at it , my takedown defense and my striking is my strongest point , not too be cocky but i never realy get puth on my back at bjj or at the wrestling gym i train once a week , but i'm not a world class fighter and i don't train with world class wrestlers or something , skill level of wrestling here in holland is pretty low, but just go for it :) , alot of mma pro's started out late ( and your not even late ).

good luck

14. LRSU COMBATIVE White Belt

go for it many start in 9th grade high school programs that dont have feeder programs @ middle school level. May not fair that well that freshman year for sure if your in upper weight 171 or >, as far as camps go for sure I cant speak more highly of the Granby camps and of course J robinsons in Minn

15. shredfighter1 Yellow Belt

Nah, I'm 17 going on 18 going to be a senior and joining the wreslting team senior year! I wreslted about 6-7 years ago for a season, but definately do it man!

16. KickBoxer23 Blue Belt

lol @ 9th grade being too late to start wrestling...I wish I would have wrestled in high school, but I admit I was too scared to.

17. Rip-Rabbo Brown Belt

It's not too late in any sense.

It's never too late to start grappling, and even if you want to look at the best competitors in the world - many of them started at a similar age.

Matt Lindland started at fifteen, Juha Ahokas at sixteen. Judoka David Starbrook at nineteen.

18. Halfbreed83 Blue Belt

I wanted to join wrestling at 15 but one of my buddies knocked out the captain of the wrestling team (my buddy was into boxing for 8 years). Needless to say, i didn't wrestle in high school and i just started learning take downs at 24 :)

Go for it man! You'll regret it if you dont!

19. Brent Schermerhorn Green Belt Professional Fighter

You sounds really dominant never getting put on your back!! I dont want to be cocky but i have to say either you're absolutely amazing or you need some new training partners that will dump you on your ass at least now and then because it WILL happen in a fight b4 long, believe.